Author Topic: Are we going to hear from Brian Clayton. Positron, War Witch soon ??  (Read 23522 times)

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
 Since we are looking at the time frame that the Cone of Silence will be lifted I am wondering if we will hear from them shortly. I dont particularly care what happened because we cannot change the past. I am far more interested to hear what their plans are. Are they going to try to fight for the IP through other means Are they going to form a new studio? Will they create another SuperHero MMO ?? Are they even vaguely interested in helping Plan Z along ??

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
Re: Are we going to hear from Brian Clayton. Positron, War Witch soon ??
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 03:04:16 PM »
Hopefully we will! The same question's been wandering through my head the last few days as November drew closer!  ;D

KyleJCrb

• Underling
  • @Dixileta
    • KNGI Video Game Music Podcasts
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 03:29:47 PM »
Well, based on this, it sounds like attempts by Paragon Studios to pry the IP out of NCSoft's hands were unsuccessful: http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=298232

In the first 20 minutes of the podcast, Positron mentions what are arguably the three most salient points for City of Heroes fans. Firstly, they (Paragon Studios) tried everything, and anything that wasn't tried was at least thought about and brought up in a meeting. In every case, when reading the forums, Facebook, Twitter, PMs or Twitch commentary by COH fans saying things like, "Why haven't you tried this?" Or, "Have you thought of that?" Or "Please do this before it's too late," the first thought to go through Matt's head was "Yes, yes, and yes," it's been on the table and either thought through or actually tried. Paragon Studios was just as caught off-guard by NCSoft's surprise realignment of focus as their fans, and just like many of their fans, they worked their tails off on their end to try and save the game.

Secondly, as a matter of fact, City of Heroes is the largest and most active MMO ever to be shut down. Specifically, it had more active and average concurrent daily users than any MMO ever to be shut down.

Thirdly, the SaveCOH effort took NCSoft by surprise. They were not prepared for the public outcry, fan support for the game, and the level of dissatisfaction with NCSoft for the closure.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »
That third point is very, very, very, very important.

The_Rottweiler

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 04:04:16 PM »
Man, I would LOVE their involvement in Plan Z.

dpawtows

• Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 04:39:34 PM »
Man, I would LOVE their involvement in Plan Z.
There's a potential legal quagmire there.   Especially if their new jobs are involved with some other MMO.   It's not like PlanZ will be able to pay their salaries anytime soon.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »
Doesn't change that, provided the legalities can be worked out comfortably, it'd be wonderful to have them on board.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »
Segev I dont understand how the third point makes a difference. How does that help the Save CoH movement ?

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 05:09:52 PM »
Segev I dont understand how the third point makes a difference. How does that help the Save CoH movement ?

It doesn't help our movement much, unfortunately... however it tells us that we had an impact, and it tells other game companies that their player base is more than just a money printer...

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 05:15:36 PM »
It doesn't help our movement much, unfortunately... however it tells us that we had an impact, and it tells other game companies that their player base is more than just a money printer...

True.. unfortunately NC Soft doesnt give a crap about its western customers.. they would have never done this to their core market..

Pretty much I am hoping to hear something from our beloved development team.. or whats left of it... if they arent doing anthing I dont think Ill invest in another MMO ever again... I just looked at how much I spent over the years on CoH and I dont regret one minute of it.. I just feel that there was so much more left I didnt get to enjoy..

I also feel they purposedfully cancelled the game before issue 24.. In talking to ex players and friends they were all excited about what issue 24 had to bring.. I am of the belief we would have seen an upswing in bother player numbers and dollars spent on CoH.. Its no mistake to me that they cancelled it before Issue 24 came out. it was a game changer

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 05:22:12 PM »
It's important because it means NCSoft did care enough to have expectations. When a company has expectations and those expectations are so far thrown off that they are "surprised," it has effects all over their chain of command. Maybe not grand ones, but it is an irritant, a distraction, a problem.

That they didn't expect it means they noticed when their expectation was off. It also means others around them likely noticed, too.

The more their expectations are off, the more it disrupts their business model on some level. It's why they have spent what effort they have on trying to quiet the surprising behavior and bring it more in line with what they do expect; it is more comfortable, and comfort equals stock and profit health.

So it shows we can surprise them and get their attention. It means we absolutely should keep it up and keep getting more notice, because if they expected it to be less...then they really weren't prepared for negative PR. And that means negative PR costs them MORE than it would if they'd been prepared. And if this starts costing them enough...

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 05:44:58 PM »
They're on TWITCH TV RIGHT NOW!

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 05:59:13 PM »
they aint gonna share anything vital.. but its nice to see everyone.. Posi looks great..

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 06:29:01 PM »
Black Pebble is wearing an Atlas 33 shirt.

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
*Salutes*

Ladies, Gentlemen, and others, the REAL Heroes of Paragon.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 06:41:53 PM »
They said on Twitch they can tell us what they are up to starting tomorrow. Follow their twitter feeds.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 06:59:56 PM »
 I hope they do something that they love.. that they can use to support their families, and that takes advantage of an extremely loyal fan base..

in that order..

Technerdoc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 07:14:02 PM »
I hope it's not a City of Heroes Browsergame or something like that...    :o

I hope it's something like, "Ok guys, maybe they don't sell us the IP, so we hire you to made a new Heroes-MMO"

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 09:14:13 PM »
I loved all of the veiled 'watch this space' comments. I can't wait to see what comes out tomorrow.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Surelle

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 09:20:24 PM »
I loved all of the veiled 'watch this space' comments. I can't wait to see what comes out tomorrow.

Yeah, me too.  :)  But I suspect most of them are breaking up onto different projects.  Perhaps Melissa and Matt might be  the most likely ones to begin a new kickstarter project; I know at least in Matt's case, in a recent interview, he said he's having a hard time finding another senior lead designer position because most people are promoted from within into it.