Author Topic: Video - Oblivion's Edge (Draft version)  (Read 5520 times)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
Video - Oblivion's Edge (Draft version)
« on: October 26, 2012, 06:57:27 PM »
So... yeah, this is coming a bit late. I had hoped to have this finished in time for doubleXP weekend, but there were way too many glitches (a couple of which I still aren't fixed), app crashes with no error codes, and a number of things I've been re-doing because I wasn't happy with how they came out the first time. Also, aside from the Unity Rally video (and I don't even know if that counts because it was more of a documentary montage), this is the first time (and sadly may be the last) I've used CoH machinima to create a story, and I've been learning all the tricks as I go along, often going to retakes after I learned something new.

Anyway, I don't expect this to make the kind of impact my last video did. I think it'd be silly for me to even try, and probably the only way that will ever have a chance of happening, is if I can do a followup with the story of how CoH actually got saved. I also sincerely 'hope' I've found the line between emotionless and melodrama (which for videogame machinima, is pretty thin). Having only done VO's for comedy pieces in the past, playing a role in this is quite a leap outside my comfort zone.

One thing to note, I feel that this vid isn't really meant for general public consumption. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but people who don't already know at least some of what's been going on within the CoH community, probably wouldn't pick up on the subtleties. Due to its nature, it's also much more vulnerable to 'attack.'

I feel like I'm mostly speaking to the war-weary with this, and perhaps some of the players who have prematurely moved on. Though I'm sure everyone who cares about the cause, will still get a morale boost from it.

I need honest critiques on this. Good? Bad? Rubbish? If there's something that really jumps out and needs changing, hopefully I can accommodate it. I'll post the known issues separately, for anyone who wants to watch it for the first time without spoilers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tM9LcI-mwCY

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
Re: SaveCoH Video - Oblivion's Edge (Draft version)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 06:58:04 PM »

Continuity:

Yes, the mug disappears randomly in shots. Where applicable it will be added to the counter in post.

The red dude should be visible in the background in some shots.

One thug disappears without explanation. Sorry, can't fix this, though I tried with re-edits. But the ragdoll animation of his demise happened so awkwardly that it makes him appear to teleport, and it's actually MORE distracting than magically removing him between shots.

FX:

The numbers on the package do not align properly with the perspective.

There's an issue with the "star" effect transition into orbit.

I'm hoping to expand on the explosion at least a little.

Timing:

There are numerous cuts that need to be adjusted slightly so they flow better.

One other thing:

The wall of torches. Is it needed or no? I like it, but it feels like it could be overkill, and causes the scene to last too long. The alternative in mind is to cut to the tunnel with a flash of light, the moment the hero touches the torch.

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 07:28:17 PM »
Maybe this:

Have the flash as he touches the torch, the transition to him getting back up, then, as he's charging into the final battle with the horde of suits, fade into the torch scene for the final image with more and more torches popping up as Fade To Black...

Just my two cents, anyway.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 07:33:55 PM »
I liked it a lot -- kept me wanting to see "what's gonna happen next" all the way through.  Sure, some technical things could use some polish, but I think the stone underneath is a gem.  As you say, it might not mean as much to someone not keeping up with what's going on in this forum, but at least those of us here will appreciate it.

I especially liked the cracking Atlas statue, the Wilhelm scream, and definitely the wall of torches.  That was one of my favourite visuals -- wouldn't change it at all.

EDIT: Oh, and "We've exhausted all options..." -- nicely done!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 07:44:16 PM by Cinnder »

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 07:38:16 PM »
Loved it. Needed it today :)
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

WolfSoul

• Lieutenant
    • Writing portfolio
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 07:54:56 PM »
I though it was really good. It sends a powerful message.

My only suggestion, and it is minimal is when he yells, "Because we are heroes! And this is what we do!" maybe it could be...stronger...enhanced somehow? I think it would be more powerful.

But I can't even demorecord.  :o

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 08:04:21 PM »
Maybe this:

Have the flash as he touches the torch, the transition to him getting back up, then, as he's charging into the final battle with the horde of suits, fade into the torch scene for the final image with more and more torches popping up as Fade To Black...

Just my two cents, anyway.

Depending on the popular opinion of the torches now, I may just do that. But I am planning on having a cool finisher to the 'charge' instead of the fadeout. I'm going to drop in a logo of some sort that slams into the screen and shakes it with an explosion sound. This is the one I had in mind, with some changes (including an animated flame).

I though it was really good. It sends a powerful message.

My only suggestion, and it is minimal is when he yells, "Because we are heroes! And this is what we do!" maybe it could be...stronger...enhanced somehow? I think it would be more powerful.

But I can't even demorecord.  :o

Do you mean the audio or the visual? Most I can think of with the imagery is making the overhead shot more close-up. But as for the sound... I'm a noob with sound-editing for the most part. I've already normalized it, boosted the bass and the vocal range (twice) in the equalizer, and gave it an echo, and it STILL feels quiet. Any louder and it'll be oversampled. Anything anyone else can think of to give it more boom?

WolfSoul

• Lieutenant
    • Writing portfolio
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 08:08:40 PM »
Do you mean the audio or the visual? Most I can think of with the imagery is making the overhead shot more close-up. But as for the sound... I'm a noob with sound-editing for the most part. I've already normalized it, boosted the bass and the vocal range (twice) in the equalizer, and gave it an echo, and it STILL feels quiet. Any louder and it'll be oversampled. Anything anyone else can think of to give it more boom?

Yes, I mean the audio. Wish I could help.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 08:26:56 PM »
Yes, I mean the audio. Wish I could help.

I'd agree with that.  The villain's voice was quite clear, but the hero's seems muffled and distant.  Did you do anything different recording her voice that you can do with his?

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 08:33:02 PM »
I'd agree with that.  The villain's voice was quite clear, but the hero's seems muffled and distant.  Did you do anything different recording her voice that you can do with his?

Well the big difference being one is a pro voice actress and the other isn't  ;)

Though still, I'm using a $100 microphone, but it may be more about acoustics rather than equipment or voice. I was just doing my stuff in the gaming room, and also had to filter the computer fans from my track, which probably resulted in some degradation. But the overall volume during the conversation is nowhere near as borked as the final battle cry, even though I recorded both during the same session.

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 08:41:23 PM »
Heh, that image is the wallpaper for my personal laptop.   ;D

As for the vocal, let me ask my hubby.  He records all the time in his computer room.  Of course, he also has a (12 or 16) track mixer that the mic goes through...

What program are you using to record the sound with?

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 08:49:08 PM »
What program are you using to record the sound with?

Cooledit Pro 2.

If you want the soundfile to mess around with, just let me know and I'll post it.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 08:51:43 PM »
I love it! The end fight was very Matrix-y! (All those agents!)

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
Re: Video - Oblivion's Edge (Draft version)
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 04:57:10 AM »
Nice job so far, can't wait to see what's gonna happen next. This could be a movie.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 05:00:51 AM »
Naa, you've seen where it ends. What happens next is up to you. I wish I could go all out, spend months of time on it, have an epic battle of heroes & villains vs. big evil, but that kind of time isn't exactly available. And I have other things that must be done between now and December.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 07:13:32 AM »
Very well done.  Applause for you.  Only suggestion:  change style of intro text.  It's very plain.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 07:32:14 AM »
I don't have any helpful critique for you right now... other than to say that it is awesome.
I am so happy to see the extent that you've gone to for this video, dialog-wise, camera angles, crazy and amazing post additions/visuals and many of the visuals and transitions altogether are really inspired and great.I'm curious where that tunnel bit came from, by the way, hehe.

As for the torches... I really liked the multiple torches appearing and would not suggest removing that at all.
Really, really impressed and I enjoyed this. This is the sort of standard that I always wanted to hold my CoH video attempts to... and probably why I've never finished any of them, heh.

Nice job, man!

By the way... you do have to check your official forum PMs and/or get back to me eventually, haha (no worries, I know you were busy and you absolutely don't have to read through the stuff I linked to and it's okay if you don't like any of that, haha!). I really want to talk about the stuff we touched upon outside of CoH.

Thank you, again, for an awesome CoH video!

--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 09:21:04 AM »
You had me all choked up again.  I love the wall of torches, I would not remove any of them.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 01:32:08 PM »
Find out anything?

I'll remind him to check today.  He wasn't feeling well last night after grocery shopping.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 04:37:09 PM »
I don't have any helpful critique for you right now... other than to say that it is awesome.
I am so happy to see the extent that you've gone to for this video, dialog-wise, camera angles, crazy and amazing post additions/visuals and many of the visuals and transitions altogether are really inspired and great.I'm curious where that tunnel bit came from, by the way, hehe.

The tunnel came from the same place as the lightbeams, and the water droplet: oldschool Truespace. More specifically, it's 3 hollow tubes with alpha-transparent marble textures, moving at different speeds.

By the way... you do have to check your official forum PMs and/or get back to me eventually, haha (no worries, I know you were busy and you absolutely don't have to read through the stuff I linked to and it's okay if you don't like any of that, haha!). I really want to talk about the stuff we touched upon outside of CoH.

Thank you, again, for an awesome CoH video!

Oh... sorry about that. I know I checked the board a couple times and didn't see anything new (which seems to have happened to you too) and it's been forever since I actually logged into the official forums, so I never got the PM. Sorry about that.  :-[ Also doesn't help though that forum seems to kick me off every 6 hours, even though I have cookies enabled.

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »
Really sorry... I ended up taking hubby to the emergency room at 11pm Saturday night due to excrutiating tooth pain.  He's *better*, but Vicodin does not for good mixing make.   :roll:

I'll try reminding him tonight after ToTing with the kids.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 11:37:57 PM »
Really sorry... I ended up taking hubby to the emergency room at 11pm Saturday night due to excrutiating tooth pain.  He's *better*, but Vicodin does not for good mixing make.   :roll:

I'll try reminding him tonight after ToTing with the kids.

Eegad... sorry to hear that. Well schedules certainly got pushed back for me anyhow, so there's been no rush. Doesn't matter if the video is done when I don't even have proper internet access. Using a crummy Verizon MiFi right now at the very edge of cell tower range. Dialup is faster than this. Can't even try to upload a finished product to Youtube until the frigging cable company finishes smoking whatever drugs they're on and fixes the lines. They took forever and a day longer than the electric company the last time there was a disaster here too. *sigh*

In the meantime, I'll probably try and re-record the line myself too, and see if I can get it any better. Kinda scares me to think that maybe my voice is just that pathetic when it comes to bellowing.  :P

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 07:24:37 PM »
Re-recorded the voice, still seemed to have the same problem though. But I was able to fix it this time. Discovered hard-limiting. "Dynamic normalization." Makes life much simpler.  :D

And it's a weird day to get to this point (wish I could've launched it on Guy Fawkes night) but I'm pretty sure the finished product will be live tonight.