Author Topic: Tony I spoke to Taek Jin Kim  (Read 7199 times)

Manga

• Elite Boss
Re: Tony I spoke to Taek Jin Kim
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 03:20:55 AM »
I think the real question is, why is the entire OP in italics?

The other question is, if they're really releasing CoH2, why did they go through THREE press releases without saying "Sorry your game is shutting down, but come Xmas we'll have a brand new CoH 2 for you!"  They'd have so many pre-orders the web site wouldn't be able to keep up.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 03:21:39 AM »
Riiiiiiiight.....

And NCsoft has just been completely silent about CoH2 all this time while the community has practically been holding them at gunpoint. And while giving everyone, the players AND the press, complete silence and non-disclosure, YOU are able to get word of a sequel Something that NC could have announced at any time to quiet the protests?

Uh huh. Sure.

epawtows

• Elite Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 03:31:46 AM »
Unicorns of the invisible pink variety I assume?  ;D

Let's not get too mean here;  the OP could be telling the complete truth as far as they know it.  It's NCSoft that has a rep for dishonesty.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 03:32:09 AM »
Yeah I am not calling anyone a liar, but I will believe it when I see it.

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 03:34:41 AM »
Well, I'm going to say this: if they really are making CoH2, then it won't be Paragon making it. I'll still play it, at least to find out if they're making a good game, but I'm not sure it will be if it's not the team that made it great in the first place.

Plan Z will continue until we know for a fact that CoH2 really is, well, CoH2.

zybron

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 03:38:22 AM »
Honestly, at this point, if they actually were making a CoH2, but they're going to piss on Paragon Studios and us while doing so...I don't want anything to do with it. Two things I can guarantee about any other product NCSoft produces, it won't include this community and I won't buy it.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 03:39:15 AM »
ok guys I called the main number of NCsoft redacted and  I freaked when they let me speak to Taek Jin Kim of NCsoft lol mean it was crazy. I asked him why they would not sell coh and he said they are coming out with coh2, I asked how is that possible without the paragon studios and he said that they have a different team to implement the new engine and all that coh2 has to offer. after that I was cut off!!!! I had a ton of questions but no matter.
I was really dumb founded as to why they would allow me, a no body, to speak with the big guy and not Tony, but hey apparently they want a new type coh2 and it is in the works. I asked if he felt that coh was worth saving and he said "Why bother, we are going ahead with coh2 why sell?" I was taken back and at that point and let go. V

[EDIT: Take this with a grain of salt, guys...also, I removed the telephone number ~Agge]

While TonyV is a good leader for the cause, they may have snubbed him because they feel differently or view him as the leader of a thorn in their side and of course the filters of that company wouldnt want him to bother the head guy. And yea it do happen, that at random times the head guy speaks to a nobody out the blue as they may have figured, no one is going to believe them anyways, the word isnt going to go too far, and etc, 

Yet, I have no proof that you didnt talk to the head guy Kim, and thus I'll take your word for it.

But, it doesnt make sense. COH2 been tossed around for a while now, and of course they wasnt going to use the old technology as it was being strained as is with the good ideas that seemed simple but too complicated in code to implement. Yet, pull the plug on the first one, the player base that probably would have happily switched over to part 2, and antagonize said group, with no announcement of release date, I guess that means in the distant future, and usually if the first game was good and liked, then they usually keep the same team around to build upon that success. It dont make sense. Or rather, I cant make sense of it. Sounds like if they are making part 2, then they are already setting it up for failure. I'm not sure if it's plow to prove to investors to say "See, the american market is no good for us. Lets pull out and make more grind asian style games" or what.

And by the way, you are not a nobody and one the same level as anyone else. It's just that TonyV just so happen to be good, almost seem like a natural, at leading and organizing things like this but it dont make you any or anyone else less important.

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 03:41:40 AM »
Video, audio recording, transcript and call records or it never happened.

But that sounded so damned nonsensical that I'd almost believe it given their history of shady practices.

I also believe that it would be an absolute train wreck since they cut off any and all people that had a hand in developing CoH. I doubt any of their hired goons would care to hold true to the original. Instead, they'll turn it into a jigglefest that has little to do with heroes and requires microtransactions just to pass level 1.
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 03:42:50 AM »
Video, audio recording, transcript and call records or it never happened.

But that sounded so damned nonsensical that I'd almost believe it given their history of shady practices.

I also believe that it would be an absolute train wreck since they cut off any and all people that had a hand in developing CoH. I doubt any of their hired goons would care to hold true to the original. Instead, they'll turn it into a jigglefest that has little to do with heroes and requires microtransactions just to pass level 1.
*Kim calls up the Blade and Soul team*

Add capes to the costumes! New name, Coh2!

sabbatha251

• Underling
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 03:46:46 AM »
Has anyone else tried calling that number just to see what happens? Just wondering...

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2012, 04:34:29 AM »
What I know:

Roughly two years ago, when Larry and I visited Paragon Studios, half the team was hard at work on....CoH2.  There were many new zones planned, including the Rikti Homeworld, and we saw concept art of many of them.

It would have used an entirely new engine.

A couple months after that, CoH2 was kicked to the floor by NCSoft (which I did not find out until a couple weeks ago, and it seemed pointless to bring up at the time).   Paragon proposed a whole NEW game.  Concepts were done of it, and this year they were allowed to double the staff to 80 to work on it.

You know what happened after that.

The OP may in fact be spinning tales.
The OP may in fact NOT be spinning tales and is telling the truth as he knows it.  However, it is VERY likely that he was transferred to an English speaker who was ordered to tell whatever fairy tale he wished to make up in order to get the nuisance off the phone...or to practice Kibun and get rid of the nuisance without embarrassing him.
The OP may in fact NOT be spinning tales and is telling the truth as he knows it.  However there is a very, very tiny percentage that he was actually transferred to Mr. Jin, and Mr. Jin practiced Kibun to lie blatantly to the caller in order to save the caller's face.

What we know: Paragon did in fact have a new game engine they were working with, which, it is assumed, NCSoft now owns.  Whether they plan to do anything with it is anyone's guess.

If I were to put money on anything, it was that the OP is sincere, and was sincerely, deeply, and deliberately lied to.

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2012, 04:38:23 AM »
makes little sense to me.. why shut down CoH then.. players would have kept playing.. you announce CoH2 and the fanbase transfers over and you get new people.. this action you piss off your loyal fanbase and they never trust you again,

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2012, 04:39:36 AM »
makes little sense to me.. why shut down CoH then.. players would have kept playing.. you announce CoH2 and the fanbase transfers over and you get new people.. this action you piss off your loyal fanbase and they never trust you again,

Also please note that when they made Guild Wars 2 they did NOT shut down Guild Wars 1.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2012, 04:45:11 AM »
after reading that i agree that something is fishy

since there are a lot of rumors and stuff going around i am not inclined to believe it, however the response that was given was completely unbelievable

whether or not the OP is believable, it definitely sounds like something that ncsoft would do to try to weasal there way out of a tight spot

ncsoft is figuring out that they are stuck between a rock and hard place and are eventually gonna have to choose the lesser of 2 evils (from their point of view)

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2012, 04:57:28 AM »
Let's see.

Dude with a single digit postcount, comes and says that with one phone call he manages to do what potential investors, journalists, critics, and others alike could not.  Moreover, he claims he did not talk to just any old staff member, but NCSoft Korea's CEO himself.  But was "cut off" before he could put any questions to him.

I call BS.

I find it hard to believe that one random dude could get through the stone wall of silence that the rest of us have been presented with.  I find it equally hard to believe that Taek Jin Kim himself would deign to speak to the guy, let alone without a lawyer present.  Moreover, despite the fact that a CoH2 was in the works previously, I highly doubt it's in any shape to release, especially considering that all of the people that made CoH what it is have either been reassigned or wholesale cut from NCsoft entirely.

Either the OP is making stuff up, or he's been a victim of a very elaborate prank.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 05:03:45 AM by Kaiser Tarantula »

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2012, 05:13:05 AM »
<conspiracytheory> Or maybe stingray 7 is Taek-Jin Kim. Dun dun dunnnnnnnn! </conspiracytheory>

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2012, 05:19:58 AM »
It's Friday night.  I'd almost swear a caught a whiff of a vapor trail when I came in here...
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2012, 05:29:56 AM »
Of all my sources with various levels of "insidedness", nothing even remotely close to this has been mentioned as even remotely in the realm of the possible.

Please don't troll the forums, it's not nice...

Locking topic.