Author Topic: CoH: The Graphic Novel...Anyone interested?  (Read 1266 times)

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
CoH: The Graphic Novel...Anyone interested?
« on: October 18, 2012, 03:35:31 PM »
I was reading Herodotus for a class assignment yesterday, and his reflections on preserving great achievements and stories so that they don't go away got to me. I started thinking of all the amazing things that I love about CoH lore, and how horrible it would be for that all to go away just because NCSoft is sitting on the IP. So I got one of those headaches with pictures...an idea!

I was wondering if there would be an interest in producing a digital graphic novel that includes, in roughly chronological order (some of that is quite loose in game), all the story arcs and background information that we know about CoH/V. To avoid elevating any player character above another, I would prefer to use generic heroes and villains from the game and from the CoH card game that was produced back in the day. Signature characters would also feature prominently of course.

The finished product will be huge, and would require a lot of effort. It would, however, be a fitting memorial to our game I think. It would be available for free, possibly from the Titan website. I'd also be willing to host it elsewhere if Titan would prefer to avoid being attached to this project, but I don't think this is any more questionable than the wiki. After all, it won't be revealing anything that isn't already freely available on the internet.

To pull this off though, we need a lot of artists and a lot of writers. Using the wiki as a guide, the goal would be to keep the general feel of the story intact, while rewriting exchanges between characters to be more fitting to the comic genre as opposed to the interactive environment of the game. So what I'm looking for is people that would be interested in helping with this project. Keep in mind that it wouldn't be an urgent project, and can be postponed when other efforts require our time.

Anyone here want to volunteer for working on the project, or at least want to engage in further discussion of the idea?
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
Re: CoH: The Graphic Novel...Anyone interested?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 02:18:55 AM »
Sadly anything produced with the CoH name is IP infringement.

A Fan site hosting stories and such would work but it has to be non-profit. 
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 02:20:50 AM »
I'm sorry if I implied anything else, but I meant entirely in a non-profit capacity. Essentially a visual version of the wiki. Each story arc that is documented on the wiki becomes part of the graphic novel.
@Rorn

Guardian Server

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 02:30:08 AM »
Again because we are working to make a true game Titan can't really do any Obvious CoH stuff.  Ties to Titan Network and Plan Z needs to be separate. 

It's a great idea and don't feel bad I had Ideas shot down for the same reason.

We want No reason for NCsoft to come after Titan and Plan Z.  So keeping such things as a Graphic Novel for CoH tied to Titan Network/Studios would be risky at least.

That said if you have an idea and a basic grasp go for it.  But any Character/location/mention of what we are working on in Plan Z and the Titan Network can't be mention. 

In other words it have to be it's own beast standing on it's own.

Perhaps Deviant art?
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 02:34:22 AM »
I really wasn't intending to connect it to Plan Z in any way. Only to Paragon Wiki. I'm fully aware of the concerns of keeping Plan Z and CoH separate. In any case, it's far too ambitious a project to be accomplished. I'll have to content myself with reading over the wiki I suppose.
@Rorn

Guardian Server