Author Topic: Just a warning to Facebookers hating on NC Soft :)  (Read 7846 times)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
Re: Just a warning to Facebookers hating on NC Soft :)
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2012, 12:21:06 AM »
So far I'm inclined to believe that part of the problem lies in the guy just plain using too many exclamation points and other things like that. It might not be something that a human being decided to do at all, except in passing.

If it looks like a spammer according to the filter and it has an account? Probably a spammer most of the time.

It's just that this time the filter was wrong. And unfortunately with the game closing, there's no recourse.

Which is a tragic shame to the player if he didn't get his character data recorded with the Sentinel tool beforehand.

I'd just be a -little- bit careful about posting at the NCSoft facebook site because of that until after Nov 30th.

THEN we take the gloves off, of course.

Blackbird71

• Minion
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2012, 11:23:04 PM »
BTW, the free speech thing is only "the government can't tell me what not to say" (with some limitations). It doesn't say anyone else can't tell you what not to say when you're in their building, on their forums, at their party, on their facebook page, playing their game, talking to their child, etc. Way too many people think the free speech amendment applies much, MUCH farther than it actually does.

It's actually even a bit more restricted than this.  Specifically, freedom of speech is the right to speak out against the actions of the government without fear of reprisal or retribution from the government for the expression of a political opinion.  Basically, it is the right to disagree with your government, and to voice that disagreement, without having to fear being imprisoned or executed.  As you point out, it has nothing to do with anything said in private exchanges or on private property, and does not even give the right to say anything and everything in public. 

One of my pet peeves is people trying to apply "freedom of speech" to situations where it has absolutely no force or effect.

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2012, 03:17:42 AM »
It's actually even a bit more restricted than this.  Specifically, freedom of speech is the right to speak out against the actions of the government without fear of reprisal or retribution from the government for the expression of a political opinion.  Basically, it is the right to disagree with your government, and to voice that disagreement, without having to fear being imprisoned or executed.  As you point out, it has nothing to do with anything said in private exchanges or on private property, and does not even give the right to say anything and everything in public. 

One of my pet peeves is people trying to apply "freedom of speech" to situations where it has absolutely no force or effect.

Ah yes, the commonly applied "It's a free country!" argument.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2012, 03:43:29 AM »
A lot of Americans think that American freedom of speech applies to the internet as well, even to internet sites hosted in countries other than the U.S.

The restrictions about what you cannot say against the U.S. government are actually pretty specific - you can't advocate the commission of a crime with the intent that somebody actually do it or that somebody is likely to act on it and do it. So, for example, if I were to say "somebody murder Taek Jin Kim", that would probably be criminal (it's not here because it's in quotes, since I'm not actually advocating it). However, I could say "let's lobby the U.S. government to nuke Seoul," because lobbying the U.S. government is legal, and if the U.S. government were to to give the order to the military to nuke Seoul, that would also be legal (under American law - it would violate so-called international law, but that doesn't apply in the U.S. without the U.S. agreeing to it, which it hasn't).

I'm not advocating nuking Seoul either, by the way. That would hurt our kibun (besides, probably a lot of people would hesitate to play CoH even if we got up and running again if the price for making that happen included millions of people's lives. CoV on the other hand... well, that depends on whether CoV players are really villainous or if they're just pretending to be. ;)).

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2012, 04:08:57 AM »
Of course, the deaths of millions of innocents would be... Wasteful.  A criminal mastermind would look for a more - surgical solution.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2012, 04:30:37 AM »
..."will no-one rid me of this troublesome priest?"

Or perhaps a bit less obscure...

Bluto: What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Otter: [to Boon] Germans?

Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.

Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
[thinks hard of something to say]

Bluto: The tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!
[Bluto runs out, alone; then returns]

Bluto: What the f--- happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer...

Otter: Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic... but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!

Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.

D-Day: [stands up] Yeah, I agree. Let's go get 'em.

Boon: Let's do it.

Bluto: [shouting] "Let's do it"!
[all of the Deltas stand up and run out with Bluto]

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2012, 04:30:51 AM »
Of course, the deaths of millions of innocents would be... Wasteful.  A criminal mastermind would look for a more - surgical solution.

Like just the power supply to the server grid of a specific building?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2012, 04:41:46 AM »
Oh, no. The power should stay on. We're going to need corn syrup, cooking oil, mothballs, about a dozen empty toilet paper tubes, and det cord. Also, half a dozen burner phones and a stripper. Anyone know a good papers guy? Mine is in for wire fraud, and my passport expired last year. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2012, 05:00:23 AM »
Like just the power supply to the server grid of a specific building?

Inside this building there's a level where no elevator can go, and no stair can reach. This level is filled with doors. These doors lead to many places, hidden places, but one door is special. One door leads to the Source. This building is protected by a very secure system...