Author Topic: Kickstarter  (Read 2783 times)

jamvaru

• Minion
  • ;] jamvaru
Kickstarter
« on: October 16, 2012, 10:56:37 PM »
The only thing they will understand is money, so launch a kickstarter to buy CoH from NCSoft.  If it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't.

Edit: Snarky insult removed. Please refrain from this kind of comment --TonyV
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:09:44 AM by TonyV »

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 11:10:01 PM »
First of all, if you had taken the time to read through the threads here, you would quickly discover that:

...NCSoft has already rejected Paragon Studios' attempt to purchase and refused even to reply to the overtures of at least two venture-capital investment groups, at least one of which originated from a venture-capitalist on this very board.  We have heard rumors of others who have similarly made offers and not had so much as courtesy of a reply, but we cannot confirm.

...it's impossible to negotiate when someone refuses to enter negotiations in the first place, and lies about doing so in the second.  Which you would have discovered had you read the threads.

EDIT

...if you actually knew what you were talking about, and had done even 30 seconds of research, you would already know that Kickstarter CANNOT be used for buying an existing product or business, only to finance the start of a NEW product or business.  Using one to buy CoH would be automatically rejected by the Kickstarter group.

END EDIT

...what the community in general can put together for a Kickstarter is a fraction of what NCSoft would probably ask if they would even answer queries, which they have so far refused to do.

...the community responds poorly to know-it-alls who waltz in here, don't bother to read the threads and insult us.  So don't be surprised when that happens to you now.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 12:11:15 AM by Victoria Victrix »
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Patribot

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 11:12:40 PM »
/e Sweeps dust back into crater and wanders off to work on another parody song  ;)

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:14:43 PM »
The only thing they will understand is money, so launch a kickstarter to buy CoH from NCSoft.  If it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't.

I have to say it seems like you lack maturity, in general.

VV is right, also as had been said many times, you can't use kickstarter for this, it has to be for new stuff, not buying existing IP, this has been suggested and knocked down several times on these boards and the main CoH ones.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:15:46 PM »
Well, he/she asked for a Kickstarter. Shouldn't be surprised when we start kicking.

<switches back to the game>
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 11:18:31 PM »
OMG. I can't believe we didn't think of kickstarter! Guys, we're saved!

..oh. wait. We did. Aside from the reasons VV gave,  CoH doesn't qualify, because its not a new project, alas.

I'm not sure how that makes us immature...

(Damn, you guys type fast. )
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

WolfSoul

• Lieutenant
    • Writing portfolio
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 11:37:07 PM »

I have to say it seems like you lack maturity, in general.

And which department do you work in at NCSoft?

Gothica

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 12:01:14 AM »
I'm good for $10 on that Kickstarter thing! I would put in more, but I already spent the rest of my monthly allowance on the Humble Bundle leaderboard effort. :-)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 12:15:11 AM »
I'm good for $10 on that Kickstarter thing! I would put in more, but I already spent the rest of my monthly allowance on the Humble Bundle leaderboard effort. :-)

Sorry Gothica, but this is impossible on the face of it.  Kickstarter cannot be used for buying an existing product or business, but only financing a NEW product or business.  The application would be automatically rejected by the Kickstarter project.  If we have to get to Plan Z, Kickstarter would be appropriate, but not until then.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
    • Repeat Offenders Network - Making the stupidly difficult easy since 2005
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 12:30:32 AM »
I've learned two important things in my years as a professional cat herder....

1) People DO NOT read

2) People read and DO NOT comprehend.

3) Profit....was an awesome short lived show. :D

Perhaps its time to update the Save COH FAQ to include the Kickstarter question. So at least we can link to that FAQ or just copy over the answer in popular passive aggressive fashion.
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,4929.0.html

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 12:47:12 AM »
It should be noted that this fellow is a unicorn. I have already had to moderate his posts in the Sunset forums several times.

Don't feed the unicorns.

Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 01:00:45 AM »
EDIT: Nevermind.  I just realized that this board has a filter that converts a certain word starting with T to "unicorn".  Everything makes sense now.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 01:02:13 AM »
No.

Just...

No.

More serious answer: Before we could crowd fund obtaining City of Heroes, we'd have to know how much to get together. I won't go to NCsoft and say, "Here are some bags of money, is it enough?" And before we could know how much to get together, NCsoft would have to respond to my e-mails, and in case anyone is under the mistaken impression that I have their hotline, they ain't exactly in a talking mood these days.

As others have pointed out, other studios have made offers and they've been summarily rejected.  I'm not going to get people to commit money unless and until I can tell them how much and exactly what we're going to do with it.  Also, as someone else pointed out, Kickstarter is a no-go; soliciting funds to purchase something like this is explicitly prohibited.

If we go with a crowd funding effort, I'll post more info.  Until then, please lay off the insults.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:09:11 AM by TonyV »

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 01:27:53 AM »
I updated the FAQ with the crowd-funding answer. It's prominently right up top because it's such a common question/comment.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal