Author Topic: An open letter to NCsoft  (Read 2796 times)

Quinch

An open letter to NCsoft
« on: October 09, 2012, 02:21:35 AM »
To whom it may concern,

As you are aware by now, your decision to close down the City of Heroes franchise was met by nearly unanimously negative response. That kind of reaction is only to be expected, of course, and one that NCsoft has had plenty of experience weathering. What it apparently did not expect, if its behavior is anything to judge by, is how intense, far-ranging and most importantly, numerous the grief, pleading and yes, outrage over the announcement was.

One cannot pretend to understand why NCsoft would choose to close down another profitable franchise, at least not as an outside observer. Most likely, the only individuals who would be able to provide that answer are the ones who made the decision. Certainly nobody else saw it coming; not the players, especially considering the resurgence following the Freedom transition. Not the developers of Paragon Studios, who at the time of the announcement still had open job postings and ongoing projects months if not years into the future. In fact, the entire event is surrounded by a thoroughly confusing dissonance - one certainly cannot question the decisiveness and commitment with which NCsoft closed down the City of Heroes franchise. And yet, at the same time not only had a new paid powerset been deployed only ten days prior, but Issue 24 still sits in open beta, ready for deployment, to say nothing of the fact that it took a week to remove City of Heroes from the NCsoft homepage, or that that the Bio Armor powerset, scheduled for release with I24, became available on the in-game market afterwards. With that degree of conflicting developments, it is hard for one not to take away the impression of either an unplanned, knee-jerk reaction, or a strangely schizophrenic approach to leadership.

But regardless of the causes leading to the shutdown, the decision has been made and is long past the point of undoing. It is, perhaps, best that it remains undone. It would be selfish and inconsiderate of us, the players, to ask of you to continue supporting a franchise you no longer have interest in. And yet, there is a great degree of the same when one denies others the chance to take custody of it in their stead - to take what you have allowed to be built and let it grow and flourish, not only for our own enjoyment and pride, but as a continuing legacy of your own accomplishment. NCsoft certainly has the power to instead shutter City of Heroes completely, locking it away for good. Its memory will remain for a long time, however - eight years of history is not forgotten overnight. But given the tragic end it was given, that memory will by no stretch of imagination work to NCsoft's benefit.

You certainly took a great risk acquiring the City of Heroes IP from Cryptic and founding Paragon Studios. Doubly so, given how many of the game's developers departed not only to work on other games, but on a direct competitor. And whether your decision was made on faith or foresight, it paid off in spades. Content was added, past mistakes were undone, new areas, new powers, two entire expansions... Paragon's developers took the diamond in the rough and measured, cut and polished every facet with the kind of care that would make a jeweller proud. But most important of all, they developed us. Even before weekly streams, Q&A sessions and coffee talks, they talked to us and listened to us and played with us, not as masters, but as mentors. They offered us their attention and we gave it in return. It may sound like useless sentiment, until one considers that, just as much as the game itself, that kept us in City of Heroes, paying our subscriptions to NCsoft each month.

And yet, during that entire time Paragon's parent company remained uninvolved. The sense of family that pervaded the City of Heroes community was absent when NCsoft was mentioned. It was Paragon Studios' boss. Silent, distant, apart, unknown. As Paragon had flourished under its own direction, there was never a hint of acknowledgement of its success. Even so, the players, through their love for the game, benefited you. We were your customers, through the money we gave. We were your allies, spreading word of the game when Hosun Lee, Paragon's one-man marketing department, didn't have a penny to his name to advertise with. And with little more than a gesture, we could have been your friends.

Because, or perhaps despite that separation, is what we, your former players, feel toward NCsoft is betrayal. Not, again, because it lost interest in the game. Instead, because, by what is essentially giving the game that we too invested time, effort, emotions and yes, money for eight years a moonlight burial in the backyard, it is impossible to see it as showing us anything other than utter, dismissive contempt. NCsoft acts not even as a playground bully, but as a spoiled child that has grown bored and is taking his ball with him, no matter what anybody offers to pay him in return for the only way to keep playing their favorite game.

It is, perhaps, an inaccurate impression. Brian Clayton, the manager of what's left of the studio says that you have dedicated an entire team to reading and sorting the emails and the packages sent to NCsoft in response to their deluge. It speaks, I believe, of both of us. Of the players, that such a team would be necessary to understand what drives us. And it speaks of NCsoft, that you would care enough to do so.

We are not a mob, to want nothing more than destruction or vengeance. We are not beggars. We do not ask for charity, that you would simply hand over years of investment on a whim. You may not even see us as equals, but that too is acceptable. What we ask is simply that you acknowledge us. If you give us a number, we will raise the amount. If you give us your terms, we will sit down with you, share a dinner and negotiate. And perhaps not even us - all things considered, it may very well better not be. But the most important thing of all, maybe even the only important one, is that the City of Heroes continues. In the hands of the players or not, it matters little, but ultimately in the hands of someone who will treat it with the faith and foresight you once showed.

It is not a decision to be made lightly, or quickly, but likely one that nevertheless should be made soon. Because with every passing day the hope that City of Heroes can be saved dwindles, yielding ground to anger instead, and thoughts turn away from saving City of Heroes to NCsoft, the killer of MMOs. It would be the latest body to be tossed onto the pile, but not by far the last and that is the thought that would plague the thoughts of your customers. "If a game can be killed on a moment's notice, no matter how successful, then when will the time come for mine? If all I have invested in a game will be pulled out from under me, and it's not a question of 'if', but 'when', then why begin at all?" And even without City of Heroes, it would hardly be without precedent. If it has happened before, it would happen again, and it will be a long time before the stain of Tabula Rasa on NCsoft's reputation fades into obscurity. It would hardly be a legacy worth being remembered by - first by fraud, then by vandalism. What would others think of it? What kind of toxic reputation would haunt NCsoft's name? Sincerity would not even matter anymore, if shutting down City of Heroes is something you believed you could not avoid.

And that, in the end, is what this letter is about. A reminder that when there is a pressing sense of urgency and that when one feels all options have been exhausted and the only thing that remains is to take that great, confident leap forward, it is often best to step back from the ledge and consider the consequences.

Sincerely,

Quinch
Six Year Veteran
----
Sent to/posted at {in no particular order of priority or influence};
Extra Credits ( http://extra-credits.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=5ad1f6fc3b7184fb22e83671ec6924be )
Kotaku ( tips@kotaku.com )
Eurogamer {http://www.eurogamer.net/contact.php}
Gaygamer {info@gaygamer.net}
Steam forums {http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34}
Rock Paper Shotgun {contact@rockpapershotgun.com}
IGN {http://www.ign.com/news-tips.html}
1UP {1UPfeedback@ign.com}
The Escapist {pitches@escapistmag.com}
Gamasutra {news@gamasutra.com}
Game Informer {http://www.gameinformer.com/newstip.aspx}
PC Gamer {http://www.pcgamer.com/  letters@pcgamer.com}
NCsoft head office {PR@NCsoft.com}
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 02:30:06 AM by Quinch »

FataL-X

• Underling
  • Pretty much the best... ever. - x FataL x (2008)
    • Facebook
Re: An open letter to NCsoft
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 02:56:24 AM »
Thank you for this! Not only do I find this to be one of the most well written, emotion driving letters that i've seen towards this cause, but I think that you hit the nail right on the head with almost all of it.

Just when you think you're having a bad day, you get to read this and turn it all around. I know it had nothing to do with me, other than I'm a player, but again... thank you for sending this. It sums up everything ive been thinking.

Quinch

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 04:54:14 AM »
Aw, thanks!

Aaanyway! The thread in Steam forums seems to be picking up. There's the usual for-and-against arguments which I'm addressing as they arise, but if anyone wants to add anything, so much the better.

Ichaerus

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 05:26:54 AM »
Aw, thanks!

Aaanyway! The thread in Steam forums seems to be picking up. There's the usual for-and-against arguments which I'm addressing as they arise, but if anyone wants to add anything, so much the better.

Well, it seems that the main person trying to play devil's advocate has no knowledge of MMOs whatsoever really, and can't relate to what's going on. 
     Don't forget to let people know about how NCSoft has pulled off multiple shenanigans in the past, such as with Tabula Rasa, and the whole Richard Garriott incident.  If anyone from the other NCSoft games such as Guild Wars 2 pipes up, inform them that their game could be on the chopping block in a shorter time compared to CoX's lifespan.
     I definitely appreciated reading what you've been having on your mind, Quinch.  It warms my heart to be around fine people who are passionate about this, and see why the CoX community is the best I've ever come across that isn't blood family.  I still wish that we could somehow get the business email addresses of the top brass at NCSoft(South Korea, of course), so that we could MIRV email salvo after email volley to them.

Quinch

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 05:33:46 AM »
We did - TonyV dug them up, but then they asked we stop and send it to CoHsunset@ncsoft.com.

Which... I... completely forgot about....

-facepalms and goes to mail a copy of the letter there too-

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 05:35:02 AM »
     Well, it seems that the main person trying to play devil's advocate has no knowledge of MMOs whatsoever really, and can't relate to what's going on. 
     Don't forget to let people know about how NCSoft has pulled off multiple shenanigans in the past, such as with Tabula Rasa, and the whole Richard Garriott incident.  If anyone from the other NCSoft games such as Guild Wars 2 pipes up, inform them that their game could be on the chopping block in a shorter time compared to CoX's lifespan.
     I definitely appreciated reading what you've been having on your mind, Quinch.  It warms my heart to be around fine people who are passionate about this, and see why the CoX community is the best I've ever come across that isn't blood family.  I still wish that we could somehow get the business email addresses of the top brass at NCSoft(South Korea, of course), so that we could MIRV email salvo after email volley to them.
According to some sources, all US Ops will be done within 2 years, which means Guild Wars may not be long for this world.

Of course some sources is a single disgruntled ex-employee.....

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 05:36:13 AM »
Well, i would join in, but I can't seem to remember my Steam login.  It's on my desktop, which is, unfortunately, in the room where my wife is sleeping, so I'll have to revisit this in the morning.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 05:36:48 AM »
I still have their corporate e-mail addresses, I sent one of those early e-mails after Tony dug them up so I still have them from my sent box.

Not sure how helpful "MIRV e-mailing" them would be.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 05:38:53 AM »
I think we're past "helpful" and to the "carpet bomb" stage, is what is implied there.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 05:40:51 AM »
I still have their corporate e-mail addresses, I sent one of those early e-mails after Tony dug them up so I still have them from my sent box.

Not sure how helpful "MIRV e-mailing" them would be.
Talk to the Consumerist if you want to get some real mass email bombing going on....

Quinch

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 05:45:01 AM »
I think we're past "helpful" and to the "carpet bomb" stage, is what is implied there.

Yeah, no. Snark about Guild Wars and Boobs and Skin aside, we still need the moral high ground.

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 04:23:28 PM »
I don't think spamming the execs will help.   It was shortly after we complied with their request to use the dedicated email that we started getting any kind of aknowledgement at all.   I feel (and i'm in the minority I think?) that we are still in the introduction phase and we are still earning (or losing) respect.   This is a long game, the strategy I feel we have to adopt.   We are not going to stop the servers from going dark, NCSoft is done hosting them.   I feel like we have to maintain respect, because the real chances we'll have are going to come after the tax write off clears. :)

They could sit on it forever, if they want to (and they might) but they might be less inclined to do so once the get what they wanted out of this to begin with.  The turn of the year isn't that far away, tax matters get resolved...maybe magic happens?

Keep the faith?

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 08:08:06 PM »
I had a read of the Steam link you posted there Q - kudos to you indeed! With that excellent letter you've thrown the issue into a new open space and patiently waited out the inevitable comments that we've all already been through since day 1. And then you explained logically and persuasively how things really are - a fine ambassador for the community indeed!

/e salute 8)