Author Topic: "...a realignment of company focus"  (Read 161414 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: "...a realignment of company focus"
« Reply #280 on: October 08, 2012, 06:06:45 PM »
Asking out of total ignorance here (seeing as I didn't even know the option existed), but what's so creepy about the "child sidekick" body type in the game in question?

In and of itself, nothing, but the costume styles are all available, as are the poses. It makes for some really "wrong" combinations.

Unless they've changed that since we were playing it. That was when it first went F2P, and I haven't tried it, recently.  I'm going to, now that you've made me think of it. If it's not that way, anymore, disregard. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #281 on: October 08, 2012, 06:07:09 PM »
Actually, one of my biggest issues with DCUO, stated so eloquently by Yahtzee, is the child sidekick body type.

*laughs* "People are less likely to grief each other when they have a clearly defined enemy ripe for the teabagging."
Thanks for that link!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #282 on: October 08, 2012, 06:16:16 PM »
*laughs* "People are less likely to grief each other when they have a clearly defined enemy ripe for the teabagging."
Thanks for that link!

Some of them (including this one) I can watch over and over, but definitely not around the kids. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #283 on: October 08, 2012, 06:29:45 PM »
Good grief! 

YAHTZEE!!!

We need to contact HIM about everything we've been talking about!

He'd GO TO TOWN On this!!!

It would be GLORIOUS!!!

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #284 on: October 08, 2012, 06:35:50 PM »
Good grief! 

YAHTZEE!!!

We need to contact HIM about everything we've been talking about!

He'd GO TO TOWN On this!!!

It would be GLORIOUS!!!
Or he'll mock us.  8)

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #285 on: October 08, 2012, 06:39:03 PM »

V-Mink

• Lieutenant
  • Greenside
« Reply #286 on: October 08, 2012, 06:40:16 PM »
Or he'll mock us.  8)

Yeah, Yahtzee is kind of the lovable uncle with an amusing and colorfully disparaging opinion about everything -- including yourself!  ;D (Generalized 'you' there, of course.)

Admittedly, I'm curious as to what he would think, but I hold no illusions he'd not blast this community as readily as he would NCsoft!

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #287 on: October 08, 2012, 06:41:02 PM »
Likely both.
LOL! Probably!
Also, the comment on this video around 3:08 is probably close to what NCSoft's reaction would be to some of the topics here http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6361-Monster-Boobs-And-Plastic-Children

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #288 on: October 08, 2012, 07:32:19 PM »
I like (and I use the word loosely, here) how the video clip that's playing behind the voiceover depicts a bizarre melding of Jackie Chan and Ike Turner (Chris Brown, for you younger pups).

Also, you can, in fact, make a slutty teenager in DCUO, though it's more a smaller adult body with a teenager's face.  Not really better, just an observation.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #289 on: October 08, 2012, 08:04:43 PM »
Funny - I didn't get that vibe from the "Rabbit Girl" in the Wildstar trailers at all. She seemed like an adult to me. With the caveat that she was a bit of a "ditzy" adult. (Not unintelligent, just easily distracted).
Indeed, that's my take too. Plus, she's more traditionally 'cute' - actually, she's a sort of east/west style hybrid to my eyes, and seems to work rather well. She's a valid artistic attempt in my book...which is why I just decided to do the pic below...but we'll get to that in a minute ;)

And we do NOT need to be drawing attention to a staple of American comics that could be turned against us in our campaign here.
Agreed - we are all comic book nerds, and while we may have issues with the visual styles of Champions and DCUO, I'd take either of them in a heartbeat over the grotesque mockery of 'art' that is Blade and Soul

I REALLY don't want to hate on Wildstar too much. They're in the same unenviable boat as the people at Arenanet. They are doing some damn good work. I only wish they could find a way to do it for a company other than NCSoft. I don't want to go negative on them so much as I'd like to encourage them to find any way out from under NCSoft that's possible.
Sadly I can't see them managing to escape from NCSoft's thrall. I feel for the guys and gals at Carbine right now - they are based in Southern California after all, and they of all people must have felt the shock waves rattling their offices on August 31st.

But here's the important bit - both with that angle and the more overt objectification of females in B&S - listen up.

They are SOCIAL angles. Tools that we can use. And yes, Mantic, I am USING the squick factor consciously.

These are tools that NCSoft has unwittingly GIVEN us to beat them over the head with using the social media (facebook, twitter, livejournal, blogger, etc) and I fully endorse the idea of us USING them to build negative PR memes. And we have MORE than enough lead time before B&S is even released to make a MAJOR headache for them.
The more saturation we have on the topic on OUR terms before NCSoft realizes what's happening, the better!

One last thing. And it's VERY IMPORTANT.

Comedy. Satire. Ridicule.

Turjan had the right idea - MOCKING Taek Jin Kim in his cartoon paneled strip.

We need MORE like that. We need not to come off as OUTRAGED. We need to be making FUN of NCSoft for their idiocy!

We need to make the entire CONCEPT of Blade and Soul being released in America to be exactly what it is - A BAD JOKE. Something to ridicule. Something to LAUGH AT.

If we can make it so that we turn the gamers lusting after Blade and Soul currently into gamers who don't want to ADMIT that they play it for fear of that ridicule - of being MOCKED for it. I will consider it mission accomplished.
AMEN to that! ;D

We don't have vast resources at our disposal, so we have to make do with what we have. There's a name for such a situation - it's not the Heroes on the blueside or the Villains on the redside...it's the goldside we have to look to for this. This is Resistance territory.
But I don't advocate blowing up hospitals, Calvin Scott style ;)

Graffiti on walls, word of mouth, emotive images to jar people out of their daily routine and make them question what they've been taking for granted - THAT is where our path lies.

We may not have vast resources but what we DO have in spades in our community is CREATIVITY. That's one of the cardinal things that drew us to CoH in the first place after all, isn't it? It's a world where our creativity can run free. Creativity has another thing going for it in the 'unconventional techniques' arsenal - it's unpredictable. It sparks, it jumps, it makes associations that logic can't.
And if your adversary can't predict your moves, they're at a disdvantage.

So yeah, with that in mind, back to what I was saying about Wildstar earlier. Here's the thought that popped into my head -

If anyone can find a use for that pic - knock yourselves out! ;D

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #290 on: October 08, 2012, 08:07:37 PM »
Now I'm picturing a superhero standing in front of a windstar character, taking the fatal hit from a terrible monster. And Windstar's avatar looking aghast, wondering how long until she's next.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #291 on: October 08, 2012, 08:13:45 PM »
And I'm picturing a knockoff of the "Dance Gun" video.

"I just stole this Company Focusing Realigning Gun from NCsoft's laboratory."

"What does it do?"

"I don't know, let's find out."

*ZAP* Target turns from modest heroine into scantily-clad teenybopper with boob enlargements.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #292 on: October 08, 2012, 08:49:55 PM »
I think I speak for everyone without artistic talent, here, when I say, "I so wish I could draw this up!" :)

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #293 on: October 09, 2012, 12:20:51 AM »
And I'm picturing a knockoff of the "Dance Gun" video.

"I just stole this Company Focusing Realigning Gun from NCsoft's laboratory."

"What does it do?"

"I don't know, let's find out."

*ZAP* Target turns from modest heroine into scantily-clad teenybopper with boob enlargements.
lol I can see that perfectly in my head :D
Alas, my skills do not currently extend to the moving image though...but I'm sure the idea of a Company Focus Realigning Gun has potential as a still image too - I'll have to ponder that a bit!

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #294 on: October 09, 2012, 12:30:14 AM »
As a still, you have a frame showing them talking about the gun, a frame with the gun pointed where the target character was standing and an all-encompassing roughly-triangular "ZAP" effect, possibly with shocked wide eyes visible through it, and then a third frame with the altered character.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #295 on: October 09, 2012, 12:36:04 AM »
I posted this in the Kibun thread but I might as well ask opinions here.

I'm thinking strongly about recruiting some help for the next, more aggressive "shaming NCSoft in Korea" move, which would be a YouTube video using this footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzmqOW0c3o8&feature=fvwrel and a Korean speaker explaining that THIS game being aggressively marketed in the West by NCSoft as representing Asian martial arts and magic, entitled, Women of Korea!  THIS is how NCSOFT wants the West to think of you!

Thoughts?  Because if I start on this, to be launched around Nov 15, I am going to need a long head start to get everything organized.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #296 on: October 09, 2012, 12:38:30 AM »
I posted this in the Kibun thread but I might as well ask opinions here.

I'm thinking strongly about recruiting some help for the next, more aggressive "shaming NCSoft in Korea" move, which would be a YouTube video using this footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzmqOW0c3o8&feature=fvwrel and a Korean speaker explaining that THIS game being aggressively marketed in the West by NCSoft as representing Asian martial arts and magic, entitled, Women of Korea!  THIS is how NCSOFT wants the West to think of you!

Thoughts?  Because if I start on this, to be launched around Nov 15, I am going to need a long head start to get everything organized.

I lack any of the skills needed to assist on this project, but you have my full support.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #297 on: October 09, 2012, 03:20:11 AM »
think those little kid characters acting like this in those skimpy outfits posted a page or 2 back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzmqOW0c3o8&feature=fvwrel

I'm pretty sure the emotes would be universal.
Having finally gotten around to watching that video... only the ridiculous hip-swaying walk is, as a motion by itself, overtly sexual. Most of the rest of those emotes are "cutesie" or "exuberant" but, without the "that's a nearly naked oversexed woman" avatar doing them, would not be sexual in and of themselves.

I'm all for pinning the moral degradation to NCSoft in scarlet letters, but it serves nobody to go overboard in the accusations when we have such unquestionable material to use.

Frankly, I'm relieved that picturing those kids doing the clapping or the other emotes is just "cute kids being kids." I don't want to be sick to my stomach over picturing kids being anything but innocent. ...well, okay, they're gonna be violent in an RPG, but we've covered America's double-standard over that, and I am guilty of being an American. ^^; I think we're okay with it because it's "cartoon" violence. It's not realistic. And not portrayed as something meant to be *cough* "enjoyed."

Anyway, drifting off-topic; I don't think pursuing "this is pedophilia" is a good idea, here, because it's so much of a stretch that it starts to make us look weird for thinking of it. Now, if we do want to pursue something along these lines, consider that "those kids" will be standing right next to the girl in the link in the quote...

But still, I think trying to go too direct on this would be a non-starter. We've got the "exploitation of women" and the "exposing our youth to smut" angles. Let's use those.

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #298 on: October 09, 2012, 04:03:07 AM »
I agree that some kind of serious legal discussion is warranted here. I'd also suggest the same for propaganda in Korea: Koreans certainly have different cultural standards than we do, and I for one have no knowledge of what is considered an acceptable depiction by Korean women.

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #299 on: October 09, 2012, 12:37:04 PM »
Actually, one of my biggest issues with DCUO, stated so eloquently by Yahtzee, is the child sidekick body type.  I understand this is a time-honored tradition in DC, and to a lesser degree in Marvel, but the implementation is terrible.  One of my IRL friends did one, and we had more fun making fun of how creepy it was than actually playing the game.

Hmm... I have created several 'boy' sidekick type characters in CoH, and a pretty good Peter Pan/Puck knockoff, and a bunch of male 'street urchin' critters for a AE missions (I'll eventually post up screenshots)... you can pull off anything from about 11 years old on up. And stuff a cigar in their mouth while you're at it. Girls, not so much. Instead, we get one of the most off-putting things about City of Heroes to me: rail-thin teeny-tiny barbie doll girls that roleplayers have to explain are supposed to be kids. I've tried to do femteen characters... never felt like it worked. If that is the result of self-censorship instead of shortsighted design, then self-censorship was a bad thing.