Author Topic: This needs help!: NC Style (Brainstorming and production)  (Read 8321 times)

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
Re: This needs help!: NC Style (Brainstorming and production)
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 10:41:20 PM »
Instead of NC Soft in style, could also do NC Soft Core Style....

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 01:57:33 AM »
Was directed to re-post this over here since it's relevant.

Ran into this guy on Virtue tonight. Think we can do something with this? (I asked permission and he's cool with it. His bio is even a subtle satire on NCSoft already!)

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 05:13:52 AM »
Well, I plan to go over things a bit more in detail sunday, maybe try to work on my own version of lyrics.  Anyway, just had an expansion of an earlier idea

Lyrics go something like(rhythm/flow prbly need to get worked on for song): I'm burning mmos, sure no one will care
Scene playing during lyrics: closeup, looks like NCsoft is blowing fire, camera zooms out to show fire is from a torch held by a hero

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 05:38:40 AM »
If possible, have said hero swat the NCzilla away irritatedly. (If not possible, no problem.)

dvandom

• Underling
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 03:38:05 PM »
I did start with a color scheme more accurate to the RX-78, but decided it looked boring and threw in more red.  If you need demofiles or costume files for Mobile Suit Gangnam, let me know (dvandom@gmail.com, or I'm on as @dvandom most nights).

---Dave, spent most of the past week leveling up Dire Howl, the Praetorian Woofers.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 09:26:30 PM »
I'm not really feeling your lyrics for some reason.  I think it's a bit more overt and less subtle mocking than my nebulous idea of proper lyrics would be.

I'll work on my own version whenever I get some energy back.  Maybe mine will be better, maybe not.

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 09:44:53 PM »
I have the background track just about done. I guess I need to pick up a microphone and make peoples eardrums bleed by singing...

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 09:48:33 PM »
I also noticed when reading the lyrics while listening to the song they don't match the flow.  You would have to say things twice as fast a lot of times to even come close to matching the rhythmic or melodic dictation of the song.  Lyrics don't have to have good grammar its okay to say things like cuz, yall, aint etc etc because these words are short and sweet.  A good way to make sure the words you have are close is listen to the song with a metronome on and listen to the words behind the click if I remember correctly he's singing is a steady flow of 8th notes in 8 bar phrases with some grace notes here and there to speed up his flow.  Its also good to try and find words that match the syllables he is singing with similar feel.  If he says a sharp word (sharp sounding not sharp note) than you want a sharp word to.  For example "POW" is a sharp and bright word you would want to match it with a word of equal sound and feel, words like "Hello" would never come close to match a word like "POW."  That is my two cents on the lyrics and how they should be written, if I have learned anything from being a musician for 10 years though this advice will be ignored and never taken into consideration.

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 09:59:22 PM »
I also noticed when reading the lyrics while listening to the song they don't match the flow.  You would have to say things twice as fast a lot of times to even come close to matching the rhythmic or melodic dictation of the song.  Lyrics don't have to have good grammar its okay to say things like cuz, yall, aint etc etc because these words are short and sweet.  A good way to make sure the words you have are close is listen to the song with a metronome on and listen to the words behind the click if I remember correctly he's singing is a steady flow of 8th notes in 8 bar phrases with some grace notes here and there to speed up his flow.  Its also good to try and find words that match the syllables he is singing with similar feel.  If he says a sharp word (sharp sounding not sharp note) than you want a sharp word to.  For example "POW" is a sharp and bright word you would want to match it with a word of equal sound and feel, words like "Hello" would never come close to match a word like "POW."  That is my two cents on the lyrics and how they should be written, if I have learned anything from being a musician for 10 years though this advice will be ignored and never taken into consideration.
I'm a journalist, not a songsmith. If you can edit/fix/replace, jump at it! I put it up to be ripped apart!

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 10:17:25 PM »
I know I wasnt trying to be mean or even personal and they are very very very common mistakes.  I entered music mode when I typed that which requires being critical.   Lyric writing is hard and you did good but in the music world sometimes you gotta be blunt or you wont be heard.  Nothing personal and good job, its hard to express your self so by all means don't take it personally or give up on even trying,  I thought the lyrics were clever and I liked your ideas but before clever and cool ideas the way it sounds, flows, and feel is the big number 1 and I want this to turn out as good as possible and people almost always hear melodic dictation first, even if they don't know it

P.S Any one who has worked on music has been treated in a simply critical matter but as humans it hard to take things simply as critical so at least you aren't alone we have all been there:)

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2012, 10:42:05 PM »
I know I wasnt trying to be mean or even personal and they are very very very common mistakes.  I entered music mode when I typed that which requires being critical.   Lyric writing is hard and you did good but in the music world sometimes you gotta be blunt or you wont be heard.  Nothing personal and good job, its hard to express your self so by all means don't take it personally or give up on even trying,  I thought the lyrics were clever and I liked your ideas but before clever and cool ideas the way it sounds, flows, and feel is the big number 1 and I want this to turn out as good as possible and people almost always hear melodic dictation first, even if they don't know it

P.S Any one who has worked on music has been treated in a simply critical matter but as humans it hard to take things simply as critical so at least you aren't alone we have all been there:)
I began in cinema. I've had my stuff ripped apart so many times, I take it as part of the gig.

I'll go over it with your thoughts, might be able to clean it up some. But if you have any suggestions, grab on!

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 10:51:36 PM »
the way it sounds, flows, and feel is the big number 1

That's what makes making lyrics for this so hard, translating the flow and feel of Korean words into English.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 05:57:53 PM by P51mus »

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2012, 07:05:40 AM »
Maybe this can offer some inspiration since it's a parody of Gangnam style in English as well, Romney Style

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2012, 08:57:20 AM »
lol damn they did a really good job on that Romney video.  I think that is a perfect example of how the lyrics should be.  It also brings up a question that I didn't think off.  The beat in that one was slightly different and I am assuming its intentional, is this project going to have the same exact beat as Gangnam Style.  Or is it going to have a slightly different beat like in the above parody?

Both are good just curious what direction this particular parody will go in.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2012, 11:42:56 AM »
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2012, 07:30:57 PM »
http://cohtube.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/coh-gangnam-style.html?m=1

This just turned up on my twitter feed.  ;D

Wow... That was hilarious and brain-breaking!

GO CASTLE GO!!!!    ;D

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2012, 07:49:53 PM »
http://cohtube.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/coh-gangnam-style.html?m=1

This just turned up on my twitter feed.  ;D
Ok, now I want to scrap what I did and make new lyrics based on this video. This is awesome!

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 11:07:09 PM »
Well, just been starting to get some energy back.  I think that Romney Style video will be very helpful to me.

Anyway, I had an idea that if we can't get a godzilla/yongary costume, a video could be made in CoH reptillian head (monstrous face 6) and reptilian body.  Can't get a bandana or sunglasses onto the model by default though, can it be done through demo editing or other trickery? Would it look decent if it is?  I don't know what's possible with that.

Also I've noticed that the names NCSoft, NCstyle and NC Style are all taken on Virtue.  Or at least listed as unavailable (I could see NCSoft being made an invalid name choice).