Author Topic: COH-Themed Podcast Episode  (Read 3937 times)

Aurethious

• Minion
COH-Themed Podcast Episode
« on: October 04, 2012, 06:32:57 PM »
EDIT: I changed the thread title to better identify it. If anyone would like to listen to or share the episode, it can be found here: http://www.iongamecorner.com/podcast/ion-gamecast---episode-5 (Direct link to mp3 file: www.iongamecorner.com/IONGameCast5.mp3)

I just wrote a piece on my blog about City of Heroes and the aftermath, or should I say uprising after, of the NCsoft announcement on Monday. If you'd like, you can check it out here: http://iongamecorner.wordpress.com/2012/10/04/breaking-the-silence/

Much of it is old news to those of you posting here, so I won't fault you for skipping out on it. However, the real point of this post is to extent an invitation. In addition to my blog, I also host a new gaming podcast on my site. I would like to dedicate an episode to City of Heroes and the efforts of you all to preserve the game and its community. I had emailed TonyV a few weeks ago to see if he would like to come on, but I understand how busy he is, and quite frankly, my new venture doesn't have the reach of other options. However, I have the bandwidth and the means to produce this, so I'm offering that up to you all in this fight.

If anyone from the Titan crew, Tony or anyone else, would like to come on and talk about their efforts, they are welcome to. If anyone who is working on Plan Z would like to do the same, they are welcome to. If someone would like to talk about what they are doing to help the #SaveCOH movement, they are welcome to. If anyone would like to come on and just talk about the game and what it means to them, they are welcome to. My platform is yours.

At the moment, I'm looking to possibly record something one of the evenings next weekend (10/13 or 10/14). If you are interested in being a part of this, let me know and we can try and work out the details. I'm open to having a many people on as possible and am willing to record several episodes if need be to let everyone be heard. My only caveat is that I want this to be respectful and focused on the good work being done to save the game. I know many of us are furious at NCsoft, but I do not want to undermine any of the efforts being made. Other than that, I'd be more than happy the share my medium with you all.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:53:46 AM by Aurethious »

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
Re: An Invitation
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 07:30:08 PM »
I'm not sure that I, personally, am "involved" enough to be a useful interviewee, but since you're podcasting and doing a recording next weekend, is there a way we can use this to help promote or cross-promote the charity event and the media day event scheduled for the 20th, the weekend after next?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 08:25:35 PM »
If I could offer one observation: the interview that Tony did near the beginning of this, which was great. However, having an entire Nickleback song as your lead-in may not be the best way to keep listeners for the interview. ;)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Aurethious

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 08:49:52 PM »
Segev, absolutely. I would have no problems promoting either of those... or any other initiative that this community is working toward.

Dw... duly noted... the 'Back will be backburnered for this one.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 09:28:06 PM »
Thanks for your help.  I'm in the same boat as Seg, I doubt I'm important enough to be interviewed but perhaps one of the admins.  Or VV.  Yes, Miss Lackey would be fantastic.  Though I obviously can't speak for how busy she is, so she'll have to volunteer herself :P

Aurethious

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 09:37:14 PM »
Don't let "importance" deter anyone. We're all important in some way, if for no other reason than we're part of this community. This is about the community, all of it. Interviewing people about the efforts being done is great, but it's also about giving people another platform to talk about the game itself and why we are fighting to save it.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 09:52:01 PM »
If noone else will I've been interviewed many times before.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 12:55:04 AM »
PM me, I'll send you my landline number.  My bandwidth is not so much "broad" as "not narrow", so a phone interview is best.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 03:57:26 AM »
I would be happy to be involved in this from the position of the group of individuals whom City of Heroes has had a tangible positive impact on the ability to interact with the larger world.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 05:13:03 AM »
PM me, I'll send you my landline number.  My bandwidth is not so much "broad" as "not narrow", so a phone interview is best.

...is it wrong that I officially have a jealous? XD
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Aurethious

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 09:20:59 AM »
Fantastic, I will be happy to have all of you on board on this.

For those of you interested, we can try and find an optimal time to do this. I am available to record pretty much anytime after about 2:30 PM Eastern on both Saturday the 13th and Sunday the 14th.. If we can get everyone together at the same time, we can have a roundtable discussion sort of deal. If not, I can certainly do individual sessions and put them together for one podcast.

And if anyone else would like to join in, jump on board. Like I said, we can even do multiple episodes if enough people want to be a part of this. I want you all to have a chance to be heard.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 11:08:56 AM »
As interested as I would be in this, I am unavailable those dates. I am certain, however, you will gain more than enough voices from our ranks. Thank you for your time, and for your offer. Every character in my head is grateful that yet another avenue to proclaim the virtues of our fine city is being explored.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Aurethious

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
As interested as I would be in this, I am unavailable those dates. I am certain, however, you will gain more than enough voices from our ranks. Thank you for your time, and for your offer. Every character in my head is grateful that yet another avenue to proclaim the virtues of our fine city is being explored.

Drake, this probably won't be the last time I do something like this. If there's enough interest, I will do as many episodes as possible to let everyone have a chance to be a part of it.

Aurethious

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 12:06:44 PM »
To anyone still interested in doing this this coming weekend, since I haven't received any suggested times, I'm leaning toward recording at some point Saturday evening (I'm on Eastern time, for reference). The door is still open for anyone who would like to join.

The general format of the discussion will be to start by talking about the game itself, our experiences with it, and what it means to us. Then, we will discuss the announcement to end the game, our reactions to it, and the efforts being made to keep it alive.

I will also promote both the Extra Life and Media Day events. If anyone has any other CoH-related events they would like mentioned, let me know and link me to some sort of info post or summary so I make sure I get the pertinent information out there.

All in all, I'd like to have time and any participants set by Friday night.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 12:18:49 PM »
I work on Saterdays but i maybe could contribute something late. I really havn't done anything too big i don't think but i try, me n rock that is. I had him make flyers immediately after we heard it was closing. We had many sleepless nights designing them as well as contacting gaming companies, repplying to blogs, advertising on other websites(spamming walls of other fb's and game related pages), i got an anime club at my college to distribut flyers and speak to their relatively large group (they re the ones going to youmacon, i'm supposed to go with them...i should call them) and little stuff like that. I wish we had more to offer. We wrote leters to ncsoft also just as everyone here has. We all play an important part here even if it is small.

djonehitwonder

• Minion
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 12:31:12 PM »
Don't forget Turn Up the Volume, which coincides with Extra Life and Media Day, and is a way for those who can't commit or be involved with those two to show their support. 

I'll be out of town this weekend, so I'm not able to participate in your recording, but if you have any questions or want me to write a statement or something like that, let me know.

Aurethious

• Minion
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 12:36:33 PM »
Don't forget Turn Up the Volume, which coincides with Extra Life and Media Day, and is a way for those who can't commit or be involved with those two to show their support. 

I'll be out of town this weekend, so I'm not able to participate in your recording, but if you have any questions or want me to write a statement or something like that, let me know.

I will absolutely mention this as well. If you want to provide me with the details you'd like me to push, feel free. Otherwise, I'll just use what's in the OP of the thread for the event.

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 01:45:02 PM »
I don't know that I'm actually important enough to be interviewed...lol, but if you need/want me I am willing to go on camera.  I hope to be physically present at media day in missouri.
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Terwyn

• Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 03:50:34 PM »
I'd be available any time after 7 on Saturday. Please feel free to contact me with more information.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

Aurethious

• Minion
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 02:52:43 AM »
The podcast is online. Thanks again to VV, Terwyn, and QuantumHero for taking part. You guys can check it out here:

http://www.iongamecorner.com/podcast/ion-gamecast---episode-5

Direct link: http://www.iongamecorner.com/IONGameCast5.mp3
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:19:52 AM by Aurethious »

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 04:39:21 AM »
That would be QuantumHero with a "Q" instead of an "O"   :P

And thank you for doing this Aurethious, it was a lot of fun
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Aurethious

• Minion
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 11:18:35 AM »
Haha, sorry. It was passed my bedtime when I typed that. I'm impressed with only one typo. It was fun having you guys on. Glad you enjoyed it as well.

Terwyn

• Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 11:40:46 PM »
I greatly enjoyed being a part of this.
- Albert Einstein

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 11:45:33 PM »
It was great fun, and my power didn't go out!
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 05:31:03 AM »
Sadly, my work schedule keeps me tied up most week ends. This is the first weekend I'll have had off in two months, and I'll be participating in the Extra Life event starting Saturday. Ah well, them's the breaks.

Aurethious

• Minion
Re: COH-Themed Podcast Episode
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 11:55:44 AM »
Updated the OP by request to make the thread more clear and to alert people of this recording (from 10/13).