Author Topic: thank the gms ?  (Read 16133 times)

Corlagon

• Lieutenant
Re: thank the gms ?
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2012, 11:24:32 PM »
"Zah".  I honestly couldn't guess where it originated, but it's been around since at least the 80s.  I think it's even in the Scrabble dictionary.

I happened to watch a Two and a Half Men episode this evening where Alan indeed said it was a proper Scrabble word.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:29:54 PM by Corlagon »

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2012, 12:50:53 AM »
I believe that "pie" when used in conjunction with a pizza joint is Eastern (US) Seaboard.  I picked at up in college in the mid 60s.

I picked up 'za from my pothead friends in the late '60s or early '70s.  It probably derives from the fact that potheads are too wasted to form the entire word.

50 pizzas would give every person at the 150 person Austin facility 1/3 of a pizza, which I should think would be enough.  At that rate we could probably get a party discount.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2012, 12:59:20 AM »
I got "pie" from a friend growing up in Arkansas, but his mom was from Connecticut.  Little Caesar's, back in the late 80s, had square pizzas. The cook would write the symbol "pi-R-squared" (I can't make the symbols, here) on the box.

Anyway, Austin is a decent college town, so there should be plenty of pizza places that will deliver. I think we can get away with picking one from a list of, say, 5 recommendations from a local (or student, there), and, say, 10 each of five different pizzas for a good variety.  Not sure if we need to accommodate vegetarian/vegan diets, nevermind the dizzying array of food allergies that we've succumbed to here in the states...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2012, 01:02:22 AM »
Is there such a thing as a vegetarian game company employee?   :o  I was under the impression that for most of them the five food groups are caffeine, sugar, salt, fat, and cardboard.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2012, 01:06:57 AM »
Wait, you can't get gluten-free vegan versions of those?  :P
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2012, 01:10:42 AM »
Wait, you can't get gluten-free vegan versions of those?  :P

Not the cardboard.  They put all the gluten they take out of gluten free bread into the cardboard.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2012, 04:28:21 PM »
Buddy at NC Soft Austin says 'less than 100 people' work there, but he honestly isn't sure how many :-p
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2012, 04:41:30 PM »
I got "pie" from a friend growing up in Arkansas, but his mom was from Connecticut.  Little Caesar's, back in the late 80s, had square pizzas. The cook would write the symbol "pi-R-squared" (I can't make the symbols, here) on the box.

Anyway, Austin is a decent college town, so there should be plenty of pizza places that will deliver. I think we can get away with picking one from a list of, say, 5 recommendations from a local (or student, there), and, say, 10 each of five different pizzas for a good variety.  Not sure if we need to accommodate vegetarian/vegan diets, nevermind the dizzying array of food allergies that we've succumbed to here in the states...

I *am* a local.  Most of the campuses and *good* places are closer to downtown and the NCSoft offices are outside their delivery areas.

It's a good 15 minute drive between those areas of town with average traffic.

An option is to contact a local BBQ place (Pok-E-Jo's, County Line, Ruby's, The Salt Lick) and see about catering.  That might get too pricey, though.

Or we can try gift certificates/cards to a place of their choosing.

I don't drive (long story, relates to my chronic pain) or I'd deliver personally.  I only know of a few others who are local, and as far as I know, they don't post here.

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2012, 04:56:17 PM »
Okay, nearby eateries...

Waterloo Ice House (kind of like Chili's or Applebee's, but local)
The  County Line on the Lake (as opposed to the one on the Hill) (BBQ, good and messy beef ribs, kind of pricey)
Siena (unknown to me, internet says Italian, sienaaustin.com)
Bamboo Grill (unknown to me, internet says Chinese, bamboogrill.com)
My Place Sports Bar & Grill (unknown to me, internet says Italian, myplace-austin.com)
Suzi Q (unknown to me, no info)

Looking at the satellite view, the area is still not well built up except for office parks and overpriced subivisions.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2012, 05:28:08 PM »
My vote is "shop local," but my schedule kinda puts me on the "support if I catch it in time" list, rather than any list that can drive this.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2012, 11:13:42 PM »
Kheprera, I do hesitate to suggest this, but the chain pizza places still generally produce "edible", probably will deliver, and are probably what most of those guys and gals are used to eating anyway.  I mean...I eat chain pizza... :-\ 

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2012, 11:25:08 PM »
If there is one near.  I did a Google search.  That area of town has almost nothing near.  I'll check Mr. Gatti's, Dominos, and Papa John's and see if any deliver there.

The best pizza in town IMO is Mangia's, but it's too far. :(

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2012, 11:26:32 PM »
Kheprera, I do hesitate to suggest this, but the chain pizza places still generally produce "edible", probably will deliver, and are probably what most of those guys and gals are used to eating anyway.  I mean...I eat chain pizza... :-\

Friends don't let friends eat chain pizza. /AnnouncerGuy
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2012, 11:28:52 PM »
Friends don't let friends eat chain pizza. /AnnouncerGuy

But all we have around here is chain pizza...and I kinda like some of it...

You guys have no idea how much I miss being up in Northern Indiana with local pizza joints and pilgrimages to Chicago for the hard core stuff.  There is literally almost nothing in this town that is not a franchise joint.

KnightHawk Prime

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2012, 11:56:16 PM »
Domino's at least here in Seattle, has improved *immensely* in the last few years, and their Pasta Bowls are very, very tasty, as is their popcorn chicken.

Don't know about austin's version, but one could hope. they'd prob be willing to deliver outside their range for this if you talked to their local manager and explained why, and tipped the driver.

Or alternately, a Domino's gift certificate, and let the austin crowd figure out what to get, and arrange their own driver, and day when to hit the office with 'Za.

2cp ;]

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2012, 12:09:25 AM »
Domino's at least here in Seattle, has improved *immensely* in the last few years, and their Pasta Bowls are very, very tasty, as is their popcorn chicken.

Don't know about austin's version, but one could hope. they'd prob be willing to deliver outside their range for this if you talked to their local manager and explained why, and tipped the driver.

Or alternately, a Domino's gift certificate, and let the austin crowd figure out what to get, and arrange their own driver, and day when to hit the office with 'Za.

2cp ;]

Pizza Hut is always willing to deliver outside their range if you order 10 or more pies.  Domino's and Papa John are probably the same.

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2012, 12:09:53 AM »
Or get Rae to ask their NCSoft Austin buddy what might be the best solution...

;D

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2012, 12:56:06 AM »
Or get Rae to ask their NCSoft Austin buddy what might be the best solution...

;D

*Puts up the Rae-signal*

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2012, 09:11:02 AM »
*poses dramatically against a dark skyline, eyes on the sky.*

*eyes narrow as a white light pierces the gloom, projecting a message on the clouds*

I'm needed.

*Pulls out phone. Texts.*

My work here is done.

*Exit, stage left, dramatic cape swoosh*
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »
*poses dramatically against a dark skyline, eyes on the sky.*

*eyes narrow as a white light pierces the gloom, projecting a message on the clouds*

I'm needed.

*Pulls out phone. Texts.*

My work here is done.

*Exit, stage left, dramatic cape swoosh*

...we'll never know just who that masked rae really is...
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV