Author Topic: Blog post on MMORPG: NCsoft "sold out" Guild Wars  (Read 19751 times)

Feycat

• Lieutenant
Re: Blog post on MMORPG: NCsoft "sold out" Guild Wars
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2012, 05:51:31 PM »
I made no comment on whether it was right or wrong.  It's human nature.  Eventually, we (as a community) will be able to talk about this rationally, but it's a little soon to expect that, IMO.  If you want to fight against that, go for it.

Hey, I'm a hero, this is what we do. Right? ;)

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2012, 06:03:10 PM »
Yup. I appreciate the cautionary notes, Feycat. I for one know nothing of Guild Wars, but hopefully it'll all work out for the best, even for Guild Wars players, that NCSoft learns not to trample the players of any of their games in their pursuit of profits.

Feycat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
Yup. I appreciate the cautionary notes, Feycat. I for one know nothing of Guild Wars, but hopefully it'll all work out for the best, even for Guild Wars players, that NCSoft learns not to trample the players of any of their games in their pursuit of profits.

I'd really like to see all MMOs go the way of Minecraft - you buy the box, you host your own servers if you want to play with friends, or play single player if you don't - and they send out updates. The same way that Steam games and Xbox games work. There's no reason that we shouldn't own the MMOs we buy and pay for. If NCsoft wants to shut down our servers, fine, and cut off our developers from making more (paid) expansions, that's their right. But I can't see how we don't have the right to play the game on different servers, or to have people make and put out their own content upgrades and mods if they can figure out the coding.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2012, 06:24:06 PM »
I'd really like to see all MMOs go the way of Minecraft - you buy the box, you host your own servers if you want to play with friends, or play single player if you don't - and they send out updates. The same way that Steam games and Xbox games work. There's no reason that we shouldn't own the MMOs we buy and pay for. If NCsoft wants to shut down our servers, fine, and cut off our developers from making more (paid) expansions, that's their right. But I can't see how we don't have the right to play the game on different servers, or to have people make and put out their own content upgrades and mods if they can figure out the coding.

I wholeheartedly agree. I think that every closure of a darling MMO brings us closer to the point when game publishers will have to somehow assure potential players that the game will not simply evaporate one day.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2012, 07:42:39 PM »
Really, this is the crux of what we're trying to convey to the players of other games. It's not a Guild Wars hatefest. It's, "Hey, our game was going strong, too, and look what happened."

(Full disclosure: I played GW1 to about lvl17 in the original game, no expansions or other stuff. It got boring and grindy. I got to a point where I felt like I "needed" at least one other player in my party, and there never seemed to be anyone on who needed to do what I was doing or was willing to help, even if they didn't. In short, I got bored and have never really been at all interested in picking it back up. That's not hate; I just have no real interest in buying the second one when the first one couldn't hold my interest.)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2012, 08:45:49 PM »
I think it's unfair to compare ANY MMO's character creation system, or ability for uniqueness to COH. No one else is ever going to touch it - not even another super-hero MMO like CO or DCO, because COH wasn't just a superhero game. It let you be anything, almost. That sort of freedom is, I honestly believe, a huge part of what made the game great, and made repeating the same basic content over and over so much fun - because a different character was like a whole new game, especially if you're an RPer.

That being said, I can't agree with your assesment that "all Norns look alike," or that character customization is lacking in GW2. For the genre it belongs to, GW2 is really above and beyond in terms of what we're allowed to do with our looks. In WoW or SWTOR or LOTRO, yes, all "Elf/unicorn/Twi'leks" look alike, because there's only a small, set number of templates to choose from, and gear is attached to looks.

I could make you some screenshots (maybe I will when my new HD gets here and I can play again!) of a lineup of Norns, all of the same class, and none of them looking much like each other. My first COH character, Trillium, is actually an old Amber Diceless Tabletop character that I've ported into every MMO I've played at one point or another. Nowhere except GW2 was I able to mold her facial features to really make her look like herself. I sure do miss her horse legs (and I never got my horsey tail! *cries*) but facially, there is not another Norn that looks like her, and she's excessively short. Add the transmutation stone factor (I can choose exactly what armor, of any level, that I want to wear, obtain that armor from a vendor or the Trading Post, and put it on my character at any level, then use dye to change the colors) and there are very few characters wearing my armor, either.

Gameplay is also very different depending on the weapons you choose. I've got two rangers - one uses cats and a longbow/greatsword, and has gone full beastmastery with lots of "buff my pet" skills - the other uses axe and warhorn and uses lots of traps, getting right in combat alongside her dogs. They play COMPLETELY differently. They're honestly like 2 different classes. My best friend and I each play every class, and we don't play anything alike when playing the same class. It's pretty nifty.
Well I only have one character so far and yes she's unlocked all of the various weapon skills on all usable mesmer weapons.

And yes, it does have an impressive face editor and if I want to play Barbie makeup studio/plastic surgery, or have any skill other than making one of the dozen plus premade faces uglier, I'm sure I would love it.

But armor is armor.  Now I'm only level 25 and maybe the higher level armors have more variations but since I can't try them on to see what each look like when I do have a choice it's a blind pick solely by stats and not by looks.

The game only has body types to choose from and not body sliders.  I can understand why technically (fewer clipping issues for outfits) and visually (it's covered in armor most of the time (except for a group of players that appear to play without armor as a challenge).

Height ranges are limited by race.  I can't have a tiny Norn for instance.  If I want tiny I must play either a Cabbage Patch kid (Sylvari for those who don't play) or Experiment 626 (well I think the Asura look like Stitch).

So to me, due to the lack of variations other than the head on Norns, I do think they all (race+class+weapon wielded) look alike.

But my original point, which obviously I didn't make clear enough in response to VV's warning about becoming too attach is that all the inherent limitations in both character creation, clothing choices, origins, powers/skills of other MMOs including GW2, makes it unlikely that I would grow attach to my characters the way I did with CoH.  So the "sudden but inevitable betrayal" won't feel like a friend taken away in the prime of their life.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:56:17 PM by FatherXmas »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Feycat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2012, 08:52:19 PM »
Height ranges are limited by race.  I can't have a tiny Norn for instance.  If I want tiny I must play either a Cabbage Patch kid (Sylvari for those who don't play) or Experiment 626 (well I think the Asura look like Stitch).

Hehe, I have a tiny Norn. She's as tiny as a Norn CAN be, which means I regularly encounter humans as tall or slightly taller than me, and I'm about chest-high on other Norns. It's a pretty profound height difference.

They're working on letting us preview things on the TP, but you can preview items in-game by going to the Mists and using the PvP locker, and you can preview things on vendors - including dungeon vendors in Lion's Arch. You can also use sites like Dulfy's (http://dulfy.net/category/gw2/fashion-gw2/) to get a general idea of the kind of looks that are available. I've spent hours playing mix and match in the PvP locker to work out my looks, making sure that each character's outfit expresses their personality best. It's not the tailor, but it's pretty awesome for a S&S MMO.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2012, 09:00:57 PM »
Hehe, I have a tiny Norn. She's as tiny as a Norn CAN be, which means I regularly encounter humans as tall or slightly taller than me, and I'm about chest-high on other Norns. It's a pretty profound height difference.

Try being a small human - you get Asura that look like they're about to look down on you! :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

Feycat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2012, 09:03:43 PM »
Try being a small human - you get Asura that look like they're about to look down on you! :)

LOL, most of my characters are on the tiny end of any height scale (seriously, I do not know. I mean, I'm slightly-shorter-than-average in real life, but my characters are almost universally "as small as they can be!") so one of my human girls is quite wee. The other is normal height.

Tiny charrs are hilarious.

My main/first sylvari is so tiny that I met a max-height Asura the other day that could nearly look her in the eye. Many laughs were had!

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2012, 09:12:57 PM »

They're working on letting us preview things on the TP, but you can preview items in-game by going to the Mists and using the PvP locker, and you can preview things on vendors - including dungeon vendors in Lion's Arch. You can also use sites like Dulfy's (http://dulfy.net/category/gw2/fashion-gw2/) to get a general idea of the kind of looks that are available. I've spent hours playing mix and match in the PvP locker to work out my looks, making sure that each character's outfit expresses their personality best. It's not the tailor, but it's pretty awesome for a S&S MMO.
My norn is also minimum height.  I wanted her to be the runt of the litter so to speak.  But still she's not that short.  Still most sylvari come up to her armpit and asura to her waist.

Yea, well I've had the game for only a week now, I don't even know about those places as no in game information as talked about them.  I'm not in a guild, I stay away from anything labeled PvP and only found the official wiki as a source of information, which doesn't have the same dedication to documenting everything down to the minutia that ParagonWiki did.

Well thanks for the link to Duffy's.

Feycat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2012, 09:21:02 PM »
My norn is also minimum height.  I wanted her to be the runt of the litter so to speak.  But still she's not that short.  Still most sylvari come up to her armpit and asura to her waist.

Yea, well I've had the game for only a week now, I don't even know about those places as no in game information as talked about them.  I'm not in a guild, I stay away from anything labeled PvP and only found the official wiki as a source of information, which doesn't have the same dedication to documenting everything down to the minutia that ParagonWiki did.

Well thanks for the link to Duffy's.

I am absolutely glad to help - you can give me a whisper in-game anytime and I can help you if you have any questions or whatnot. You can go into the Mists and use the PvP armor locker without ever engaging in PvP - it also acts as an "Oro" portal to Lion's Arch, for free, from anywhere.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2012, 12:05:13 AM »
Off-tangent: perhaps one of the most amazing things about GW2 is the water effects. You can have deep water, fully populated by rocks, water plants and fish and other things. No feet cut off at the ankles.... you can even swim around underwater. Yes! My Norn girl is not all that graceful in the water - not to mention, there tend to be enemies in the water in the beginning Norn zone - but my Sylvari girl is having THE MOST FUN EVER swimming all over the place underwater. She's here, there and everywhere, just having a blast. She swims more gracefully, too and the fish there are not hostile. Who cares about leveling, I am gonna go SWIMMING! There's even lily pads on the surface, its enough to make you squee with delight.

One thing that kind of bugs me in GW2 is the limitation on skin color. I want to have a Blue Norn with white tattoos (OMG TATTOOS! SWOON!) but no dice. And only Sylvari can be green, as far as I can see. Bummer, I like to make blue people. I had several in CoX. Green people too!

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2012, 02:48:09 AM »
I was trying to make a Norn redhead, nope only reddish brown, heavy on the brown.  Yes I was attempting to remake my half-kitsune illusionist.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2012, 04:48:04 AM »
FatherXmas, I have had this screenie for a long time..is this you, or an imposter? LOLOL

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2012, 06:26:02 AM »
FatherXmas, I have had this screenie for a long time..is this you, or an imposter? LOLOL

Nope not me.  It was an often duplicated basic design, being Santa and all.  I was on Victory and met a clone during the first winter event called something along the lines "Saint Snick", a claws scraper of course.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2012, 03:29:27 PM »
I was trying to make a Norn redhead, nope only reddish brown, heavy on the brown.  Yes I was attempting to remake my half-kitsune illusionist.

One thing that annoys me is the faded, dusty quality of almost all colors there. You have almost no primary colors. You do not have access to black, except for black hair - which you cant use because if its all black, all the detail disappears. NO BLACK COSTUMES: this is a disaster. RED-red hair is not an option, unless I missed it somewheres. Most of the female faces have a more than slightly childish cast. Everyone is mild and happy, or pretty neutral, expression-wise: there are not really any aggressive, "evil" faces, or any "bombshell"-style female beauties. You can't really apply makeup, no one in GW2 has access to lipstick, for instance. (sigh) Everyone is a hero in GW2. I cant tell you how boring I find that.

I do very much miss CoX's vibrant pallette. A combination of GW2's and CoX's color pallettes would be ideal! Sometimes I might want to use those dusty color choices, but everything looking faded all of the time is just so... ugh.

I felt like my CoX people were adults. I dont really feel that about my GW2 people, despite my best efforts.