Author Topic: Status Update (October 2)  (Read 97602 times)

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
Re: Status Update (October 2)
« Reply #380 on: October 06, 2012, 12:35:53 AM »
Welcome to Fort Titan, Dasher.  ;)

Here we give out hugs, make videos and songs, we organize, we rage, we cry, we scream...and we keep fighting, and thinking, and trying to understand.

There are inspirational videos, songs, poems, letters, testimonials...and a lot of people conribuing whereever and whatever we can.  You also may wish to pick up the wonderful books by Mercedes Lackey...I'll let you discover why for yourself ;)

Speaking of barricades...Les Miserables anyone...Do you Hear The People Sing, Little people, I dreamed a dream, perhaps even red and black...I wish NcSoft could understand Stars...for they are Javert and we are John Valjean and Fantine, and Little Cossette, and Gavroche...and I do not want to sing empty chairs at empty tables like poor marius with my entire community gone.

Welcome to the lifeboat and battle HQ all wrapped into one dasher...you are among friends, you are among heroes and very well behaved villains ;)

If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #381 on: October 06, 2012, 12:37:34 AM »
Welcome to Fort Titan, Dasher.  ;)

Here we give out hugs, make videos and songs, we organize, we rage, we cry, we scream...and we keep fighting, and thinking, and trying to understand.

There are inspirational videos, songs, poems, letters, testimonials...and a lot of people conribuing whereever and whatever we can.  You also may wish to pick up the wonderful books by Mercedes Lackey...I'll let you discover why for yourself ;)

Speaking of barricades...Les Miserables anyone...Do you Hear The People Sing, Little people, I dreamed a dream, perhaps even red and black...I wish NcSoft could understand Stars...for they are Javert and we are John Valjean and Fantine, and Little Cossette, and Gavroche...and I do not want to sing empty chairs at empty tables like poor marius with my entire community gone.

Welcome to the lifeboat and battle HQ all wrapped into one dasher...you are among friends, you are among heroes and very well behaved villains ;)

* DrakeGrimm starts petition to rename Fort Trident to Fort Titan.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #382 on: October 06, 2012, 01:58:23 AM »

* DrakeGrimm starts petition to rename Fort Trident to Fort Titan.

Quantum Hero seconds the petition since that was exactly wha I was thinking of you mind controller you...lol
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Riff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #383 on: October 06, 2012, 04:34:16 PM »
Quantum Hero seconds the petition since that was exactly wha I was thinking of you mind controller you...lol

Maybe "Fort Titan" would be a great name for a starting area in Plan Z

Theogrin

• Underling
  • Multiversal Chef
« Reply #384 on: October 06, 2012, 11:19:54 PM »
Maybe "Fort Titan" would be a great name for a starting area in Plan Z

Heck, make TR an inspiration.  A full set of enemies assaulting a base, a series of heroes occasionally taking part in defending - the whole thing could be properly heroic, and a great inspirational opening.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #385 on: October 07, 2012, 10:38:13 PM »
Gotta have a torch somewhere. A really big one, like our own equivalent of the Statue of Liberty. With an archetypical backstory of a dark hour during a siege, where gutsy fighters struggled to keep it burning even as the bullets were flying.

Ichaerus

• Underling
« Reply #386 on: October 08, 2012, 04:14:32 AM »
Gotta have a torch somewhere. A really big one, like our own equivalent of the Statue of Liberty. With an archetypical backstory of a dark hour during a siege, where gutsy fighters struggled to keep it burning even as the bullets were flying.

You mean like having a group of people hop onto a statue and coordinate their bodies so that their torches are on a hand of the statue?  For example, Emperor Cole's statue in Nova Praetoria, perhaps?

The great act of defiance setting is a great idea though, especially if you see heroes trickling in from various angles to help reinforce the burning beacon, even though they're exhausted, wounded, battered, and/or dying.  Fighting with every ounce of their being for an ideal, or an symbol that they hold dear.  I'd give you +1 reputation for coming up with this idea if I could, Tim.
*queues Klendathu Drop theme as he logs back into CoH*

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #387 on: October 08, 2012, 05:55:05 AM »
You mean like having a group of people hop onto a statue and coordinate their bodies so that their torches are on a hand of the statue?  For example, Emperor Cole's statue in Nova Praetoria, perhaps?

The great act of defiance setting is a great idea though, especially if you see heroes trickling in from various angles to help reinforce the burning beacon, even though they're exhausted, wounded, battered, and/or dying.  Fighting with every ounce of their being for an ideal, or an symbol that they hold dear.  I'd give you +1 reputation for coming up with this idea if I could, Tim.
*queues Klendathu Drop theme as he logs back into CoH*

Heh, TY. And yeah. That kind of Iwo Jima money shot (and yes I know the full story behind that) has always been very moving to me. Somehow the spirit of the AP33 story needs to make it into whatever form the future CoH takes, whether it be a reactivation, sequel, spiritual successor, etc. If the worst happens, when we're sitting in the eye of the hurricane on Dec 1, I'll start brainstorming it.

Though I was never big into war films when I was a kid, they ran one at my school once for some educational purpose or another. Something that took place in the 1800's. And there was this big talk between a commander and a couple other soldiers who were put into a death queue for carrying the flag (each taking the place of another in the event the flag bearer was gunned down). And one of the guys was miffed about it because he wanted to be doing the shooting. During the fight, the flag bearer was killed, the next guy in line threw down his gun during the charge, ran over, picked it up, and rushed straight at the enemy with it. I don't remember any other thing about the film, but that scene stuck with me.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #388 on: October 08, 2012, 06:06:12 AM »
That sounds like Glory.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #389 on: October 08, 2012, 08:51:39 AM »
Heh, TY. And yeah. That kind of Iwo Jima money shot (and yes I know the full story behind that) has always been very moving to me. Somehow the spirit of the AP33 story needs to make it into whatever form the future CoH takes, whether it be a reactivation, sequel, spiritual successor, etc. If the worst happens, when we're sitting in the eye of the hurricane on Dec 1, I'll start brainstorming it.

Yeah, I think AP33 will always have a special meaning to our community, it'd be nice tosee a tribute to it in whatever the future brings.
Maybe the name of a small band of Freedom Fighters, some underground resistance, or something :P

Doctor Spectre

• Underling
« Reply #390 on: October 08, 2012, 12:01:27 PM »
The thing that annoys me the most about the latest NCSoft missive is that I comes across as an insult to my intelligence (as if I can't read between the lines).

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #391 on: October 08, 2012, 04:53:55 PM »
I'm going to make a longer post later, but for now, this will suffice:

I'm a Browncoat. We were told nothing would come of our frustration or our efforts as fans.

We were told it was hopeless, and that we were wasting our time.

We got SERENITY.

I've read NC Soft's little "hush" letter, and here I am: And I am to misbehave.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #392 on: October 08, 2012, 05:14:55 PM »
Yeah, I think AP33 will always have a special meaning to our community, it'd be nice tosee a tribute to it in whatever the future brings.
Maybe the name of a small band of Freedom Fighters, some underground resistance, or something :P

This is noted. IF Plan Z comes to pass (and I hope it isn't needed!), there will be references to AP33 in it.

Somewhere. Somehow.
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #393 on: October 08, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »
This is noted. IF Plan Z comes to pass (and I hope it isn't needed!), there will be references to AP33 in it.

Somewhere. Somehow.

Imagining a street sign saying "AP33" in a similar manner as a Route 1 sign is. 8)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #394 on: October 08, 2012, 05:36:53 PM »
Is there an Interstate 33?  If not, that could easily become the fictitious highway through the center of the city.

Edit:

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:44:34 PM by eabrace »
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #395 on: October 08, 2012, 10:23:03 PM »
Heheh, no, I was envisioning something a bit more prominent than an easter egg.  8)

epawtows

• Elite Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #396 on: October 08, 2012, 10:27:04 PM »
Heheh, no, I was envisioning something a bit more prominent than an easter egg.  8)

Can we do both?  Unless we come up with something more clever to name highways after. 

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #397 on: October 09, 2012, 12:20:40 AM »
How about u name a space station AP33 or maybe an military (alien} area like Area 51-Ap33

dpawtows

• Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #398 on: October 09, 2012, 12:50:10 AM »
At this point, I'm gonna have to go over future all Mercedes Lackey books with a fine-tooth comb for Titan/Plan Z/AP33 in-jokes......

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #399 on: October 09, 2012, 02:53:33 AM »
My first post on here.

I am like many others who do not want to see City of Heroes go away.  The threat of such has renewed interest in the game (despite my being swamped by work at the moment) in other forms: I've found and downloaded the COH RPG Quick Start rules, pretty much everything pertaining to the COH CCG (which I've bought up some cards for and begun playing), and resumed playing with my COH/COV HeroClix with a vengeance.

But despite all those being part of COH, they are NOT COH.  Nothing can replace zooming around Atlas Park on Justice with my Santa Claus themed toon named Tubbius, a level 50 plant control/empath/ice mastery/incarnate, scooping up Christmas presents and demanding costume contests of folks--usually set up with a goofy twist.

I've played the game for four years.  It's been a good, clean, fun way for me and my girlfriend to bond, to have something to do together--one of a few games we can both agree on and be good at in our own ways.  I've been a Mission Architect writer faithfully since that hit (and for all you PENGUIN fans, I'm slowly working on completing PENGUIN Part 4: Waddle On).

I'm no computer programmer, but I am an avid comic fan and gamer and have been both since the 80s.  I'd LOVE to see this game continue, ideally, or be met with a so-called spiritual sequel, even if I don't have the technical skills to help set it all up.

That said, here's a recent blog post my girlfriend, @Austara, put up on her website.

http://glasses.withinmyworld.org/index.php/2012/10/04/5-logical-reasons-to-save-city-of-heroes/

Check it out.  :)