Author Topic: Status Update (October 2)  (Read 97596 times)

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
Re: Status Update (October 2)
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 11:46:18 PM »
Calm. Tranquility. The time to lash out and use our rage is not yet at hand. Strike aggressively too soon, and we concede victory.

Well, we should appeal to their stockholders then.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Heliphyneau

• Underling
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 11:47:52 PM »
Thanks for updating us, Tony, and thanks for staying positive.  I'm not giving up.  We'll find a way.

jbadger

• Underling
    • World Of Roleplayers Radio
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 11:49:20 PM »
I'm not so sure they were ever open to any options.  This is NCSoft that has killed numerous games before.

TheBeatnik

• Minion
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 11:50:26 PM »
In my opinion, this is nowhere near the end of the fight. Rather, with this announcement, the battle has now begun.

Up until now, we've been assembling forces, reviewing strategies, drumming up public support, and in general simply preparing for today.

Now, the time is upon us. This is the moment when we are called to be at the top of our game.
This is the point when our passion, our patience, our strength as a community will all be put to the test.

So stand firm. Hold those torches high. Be the heroes you truly are.

Because that IS what we are, and this IS what we do.

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 11:53:53 PM »
I think it's about time they start feeling the sting though. And really, that isn't just about the game. It's about a much bigger picture. It affects the whole world. Some people have been trying to convey this message for years, maybe decades. But it's a very serious issue that has gotten way out of control, and something desperately needs to be done about it.

I'm reaching the breaking point with maintaining composure to not compromise our efforts... but after the go ahead, I will probably be cutting a scathing, foul, aggressive promo on NCsoft, the likes of which I've never done before.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

ThePhlebotomist

• Underling
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 11:54:51 PM »
Hi Tony,

Thanks for all your efforts organizing the #savecoh movement.

I have a question or two:

1.  It from the announcement sounds like Paragon Studios was negotiating with NCSoft, which I was surprised at because I thought it was completely owned by NCSoft and closed.  Do you know if other investment groups, including player-owned ones, have been in negotiation with NCSoft?  If possible, players and others might be able to add additional financial backing.

2.  Do you know why the negotiations failed?  I wonder what terms could've prevented them from selling versus just turning it off.

3.  Wouldn't any attempts to launch servers reverse engineered by observing the game client result in legal action by NCSoft?

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 11:55:49 PM »
EDIT: If they really want to kill us, couldn't they revoke our fan site license for Paragon Wiki?

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 11:58:30 PM »
Thanks as always Tony.  I absolutely love seeing the collection of 1 post users in this thread (and in others), damage control or not, this announcement doesn't appear to be costing us any members.  The opposite in fact.  Fight on, guys.

LightofthePhoenix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 11:59:34 PM »
I feel like with their stock numbers going in the direction they're going now (yeah I know it's too short term to call a trend, but considering this is immediately following the launch of a blockbuster game and the announcement of another game in the works, you'd think it'd be much higher) if we can keep strong then we can force their hand and suddenly those "exhausted options" won't look so exhausted to them.

This response feels far too PR-y to me, especially in its wording.  It looks like they're trying to shut us up and save face.  If I remember correctly from my communications classes, face is very important in Asian cultures, I doubt Korea is any different.  So it basically means we have to show them they'll lose more face by killing the game than they will by reversing their decision.  Sure reversing the decision might make them look weak, but not reversing it will make them look heartless.

Bad stock numbers + losing face... it all adds up to "We can win this!"
My CoH documentary class project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGcFC197rfQ

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 12:00:23 AM »
Hi Tony,

Thanks for all your efforts organizing the #savecoh movement.

I have a question or two:

1.  It from the announcement sounds like Paragon Studios was negotiating with NCSoft, which I was surprised at because I thought it was completely owned by NCSoft and closed.  Do you know if other investment groups, including player-owned ones, have been in negotiation with NCSoft?  If possible, players and others might be able to add additional financial backing.

2.  Do you know why the negotiations failed?  I wonder what terms could've prevented them from selling versus just turning it off.

3.  Wouldn't any attempts to launch servers reverse engineered by observing the game client result in legal action by NCSoft?
I can help you out a little bit.

1. It is confirmed that others have at least approached NCSoft with serious offers, but failed to even receive a response.  Those people can tell you more (one of them is here, don't remember who though).

2. I don't think anyone knows this at the moment.

3.  Possibly.  This is to be worked out later, I suppose.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2012, 12:00:58 AM »
We should probably start looking at spreading the bad PR to Nexon too.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 12:03:17 AM »
It is confirmed that others have at least approached NCSoft with serious offers, but failed to even receive a response.  Those people can tell you more (one of them is here, don't remember who though).

Perhaps NC should rephrase then. Negotiations didn't fail. NC failed to open negotiations.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 12:05:11 AM »
Perhaps NC should rephrase then. Negotiations didn't fail. NC failed to open negotiations.
At the risk of snark, that kind of openness is out of character for them.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 12:06:45 AM »
At the risk of snark, that kind of openness is out of character for them.
At the expense of my normally upbeat attitude, I am beginning to believe that intelligence is out of character for them.  But you know, it's all perspective and I'm having a hell of time trying to put myself in their shoes.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2012, 12:07:02 AM »
I just realized that I don't think I've thanked you, Tony.  I'd like to add my voice of appreciation for what you've done and are doing.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2012, 12:11:12 AM »

Most likely they never entered into negotiations in good faith to begin with, and put the buyout amount at a ridiculous number.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2012, 12:19:42 AM »
"We've exhausted all options including the selling of the studio and the rights to the City of Heroes intellectual property, but in the end, efforts to do so were not successful."

I'm sorry but i call BS on this. Thats a lie. If they wanted to sell it they could have. The only reason i can see that they actually couldn't is if they wanted way more then anyone had or they don't own the rights and whoever does won't sell. So which is it and how do we get more money together to buy it?

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2012, 12:21:03 AM »
NcSoft will never ever get another dime of my money. I dont care what they make. I will tell everyone I know to never ever spend a dime on their products or their company again.

I also think it was very interesting that this comes out after the dinner that was brought for the devs and people were encouraged to keep trying and keep pushing.. very tactical..

TonyV I would say that NY Comic Con event can be very very very key to the community..

To the community I will say this.. NCSoft is NOT City of Heroes..

YOU are City of Heroes..

I believe that the spirit of this game will live on in some form or another no matter what happens..

Now that being said. The former Paragon Studio staff has been TOO quiet. I understand NDA's and all that but their is a way to leak information through channels to get the word out that you need people to hear.... and it needs to be more than... keep hope alive..

If the negotiations are over we need to know..
If you have stopped and given up we need to know..
If you are going to form another studio and work on something else.. we need to know..
if you are going to work with what has started here.. we need to know..

Fansy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2012, 12:22:49 AM »
Hail!

Some say there are dark clouds massing, swirling like a vortex over a desert plain. However, I do not see that. I see shining beacons that are poking holes through the blanketed gray that suffocates a blue sky. I see pillars of light, as the beacons combine to become cylinder beams of hope, rays of justice breaking through the confines of the unknown. What once was darkness is now being revealed as a new land, a new horizon, a new tomorrow; a new beginning.

I see a single spark of imagination laying there, right at your feet, and all you have to do is scoop it up and let the excess grains slip through your fingers, craddle that small seed of imagination and tell it what you want it to be. Believe in it, speak to it, and breathe life into it. Plant it, digging deep into the strange soil, and then stand back and watch it grow into something beautiful.

This is what you are capable of.
This is not the end of the fight, Good Team. It's your calling to express your true heroism.

Do not give in.

I won't.

Sincerely,
Fansy

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2012, 12:23:41 AM »
There you have it. The Bard has spoken. Go suit up, guys.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV