Author Topic: Status Update (October 2)  (Read 98199 times)

Manga

• Elite Boss
Re: Status Update (October 2)
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2012, 01:01:26 AM »
so, the bob seger thing...my dad is at his house right now and i told him to bring it up but not ask him to do anything yet becuase i don't know what to ask him to do...so what do we tell him? I mean if he is interested.

Find out how he's willing to help first.  That's less imposing than asking for something specific.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2012, 01:02:03 AM »
[tl;dr]
OK, I know that I mentioned somewhere having been to the peace museum in Nagasaki. (Sorry, but the actual website is in Japanese.) This was while I was serving aboard a US Navy fast attack submarine home ported in Pearl Harbor.  I lived and worked in and around that history.  Many of the buildings are, or were, at least, still standing, some still showing cosmetic evidence of the attack, then 55 years earlier. I have, from that, developed an intense interest in the geopolitical state of affairs, particularly notion of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere, which included occupying the Korean Peninsula.

I say this not so much to present credentials.  I am by no means an expert, as this is a hobby, not my profession, but I have devoted a great deal of study to, among other things, Asian culture.
[/tl;dr]

Much like the kind of brinksmanship and maneuvering that lead to the Japanese attack on the US military facilities on the Hawaiian island of Oahu, commonly lumped together as Pearl Harbor, TPTB in Asia, in general, do not fully understand what motivates us.  This is probably, as has been suggested, more of the party line, and they think that, regardless of whether it cows us, which I would fully expect them to think it would, there is nothing that we can do.  The best thing that we can do is not to turn up the ugly, but to keep the pressure on them as we have been doing, as I am sure Tony and his contacts are currently assessing. 

It's not whether or not we lose, but whether they win. So far, they have not.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2012, 01:08:06 AM »
so, the bob seger thing...my dad is at his house right now and i told him to bring it up but not ask him to do anything yet becuase i don't know what to ask him to do...so what do we tell him? I mean if he is interested.

Without suggesting any specific action, I would like to point out that video is the best proof to maintain legitimacy about the message Bob Seger could/would send on our behalf. Something that we can easily make viral on YouTube and also send it straight to NCsoft. But see what he might have in mind first as a modest gesture so as not to seem bothersome to him. Just keep my suggestion in mind. Pass this along to TonyV as well, I'm sure he would know very proper channels to send it through.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2012, 01:10:01 AM »
NCSoft is saying THIS round of talks failed.

I say now we list the names of ALL large stock holders and expand all of our messages to include them.

They said they heard us, no sir they have heard a whisper in the forest. Now it is time for us to make some REAL NOISE! They are willing and even eager for us to go away. To partially quote a famous man - You expect us to just leave a City we spent 8 years defending?

No.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2012, 01:11:41 AM »
 As always, Tony, THANK YOU and Titan Network!!!  While I posted a reply to the official forum I'll post it here again: http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=297822&page=7

Dear Hit Streak/NCSoft Team,
We the fans and loyal customers would LOVE to know which avenues were explored and why things failed. 1. Some transparency here would help many of us with understanding and reaching feelings of closure, rather than the feelings of betrayal by NCSoft and sorrow and anger. 2. As demonstrated, the CoH Community is really quite interested in seeing City of Heroes and Paragon Studies continue/get re-established and would be willing and eager to work pro-actively with NCSoft to develop a win-win scenario where we get to keep our beloved MMO in a manner either cost neutral or even profitable to NCSoft -- keeping in mind that the good will of the CoH Community may in fact be GOOD Public Relations policy for NCSoft.

CoH was my first MMO and I played from Issue 15 unto this present day. (I'll be logging in tonight and every night, until I no longer can.) Prior to the "sunset" notice, I've been very happy with NCSoft, and, like everyone, looking forward to Issue 24 and beyond. I urge NCSoft to consider ways it could hand off City of Heroes, if NCSoft no longer wishes to publish this MMO. (I appreciate that the profits to be made from CoH may pale compared to the profitability of other business opportunities for NCSoft.) Please do what you can to help us save our beloved MMO. Thank you!
[End of quoting myself, LOL]

Given that we have some very creative talent in the community here, including those with business, financial and entrepreneurial expertise, I'm hoping we can come up with something too good for NCSoft to ignore or refuse.   I don't know how strong my Public Relations argument is, but NCSoft seems to care some still about PR with respect to our community.   Can you/will you, Tony, network with the business/finance experts about how best we the Community can open direct negotiations with NCSoft for purchase of the IP?  Thanks in advance to listening to my little ideas.  :)
John
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Gothica

• Minion
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2012, 01:17:01 AM »
I'm not buying the announcement either. It's too unequivocal. "Negotiations not successful, we're definitely shutting down, you can quit trying now" is the message they're trying to convey, but that's simply implausible. If some investor offered, say, $100 trillion USD for the IP or for NCSoft to keep the servers up themselves, they'd obviously take it (unless they're being driven by some psychotic hatred of CoX, which--appearances to the contrary--probably isn't the case). Thus it's merely a question of a) how much lower than $100 trillion they'd be willing to go, and b) whether someone can be found to offer that magic number. That means the announcement is simply a PR-style "Get off our backs, you haven't shown us enough money" message designed to make us go away since so far they haven't seen an offer big enough to interest them (and may believe that no such offer can credibly be made by a bunch of gamers at whom the announcement was aimed). That's an important point: This may be (probably is) an actual dismissal of our ability to tempt them seriously rather than an oblique attempt to haggle. But in either case, the answer is to turn their heads with a big enough offer.

The question then becomes if anyone is aware of whether efforts to make such an offer--and to gather the necessary funds for it--are still underway. TonyV, are you free to tell us the status of your effort to find investors, and whether/how it may have been affected by the apparent failure of Paragon negotiations and/or the NCSoft announcement?

I think the worst thing that this message can mean is that they do think that CoX is worth a great deal more to them dead than alive, which we really already knew, but which does bump up the asking price a whole lot, thus making fundraising efforts on our community's part a lot harder than it should be in a reasonable world. They may be right and they may be wrong, but they're free to name their price. Still, that's a better case scenario than if they really meant what they said in the announcement.

Stout hearts.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2012, 01:24:21 AM »

Glad to hear your dad is out of the hospital!!!!!!!!!!

Does Bob Seger have a web page? Twitter?? Any celebrity endorsement that will reach a lot of people is good imo.

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2012, 01:34:58 AM »

If Seger helps out and the game gets saved, I'll start a character called the "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" and level him to 50, then park him permanently in AP33 with an AFK message saying "Download more Bob Seger songs! Legally, I mean".

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2012, 01:37:10 AM »
I was just at the store for milk and bread and completely spaced grabbing a card. Sorry.  Next time.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2012, 01:42:08 AM »

Your font is sooo tiny and hard to read hehehe

I was just at the store for milk and bread and completely spaced grabbing a card. Sorry.  Next time.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2012, 01:43:07 AM »
This, from my husband Larry Dixon however:

Larry Dixon: *shrug*  It's as "real" as anything else NCsoft says or does.  That'll flip if they want it to. What it *is* is an admission that they've noticed enough to respond to it "on company letterhead." Its face value is meaningless.

The REAL takeaway from this is "Hey this is starting to hurt, stop it guys!"  If the revival efforts meant nothing, NCsoft would not post what amounts to "Elvis has left the building."  And that is all that is. They want the negative attention to stop. That is an official attempt at deflection.  Or, in political terms, an "Un-Answer."

It appears to be a response but actually accomplishes nothing except silence those who weren't very into it.  Like I say, what it says is irrelevant; the thing to take notice of is that it was put there at all.  And that means time to step it up because the other fighter just staggered.

If the "Save CoH/We love Paragon" etc. efforts were ineffective, we'd never have seen such a statement. The hidden meaning of that note is that it has dawned on somebody that this is developing into "anti-NCsoft," not "Save-CoH," so they issued a mollifying statement with a lot of buttonpushing feel-warm cozy buttons about how special what they just murdered was to them.

Now they reap the mistrust they sowed, they can see the coverage increase, the caution against them and the players taking their money away in droves, and we can look them steely in the eyes and reply "Too bad.  It's just business.  Isn't it."

The "exhausted all options" is bizspeak for "We didn't get what we wanted, so we stopped bothering to find solutions."  Businesspeople who truly WANT a result  ALWAYS find a way, they never "exhaust all options." So right there is an admission from NCsoft that they're very bad businesspeople.  Most certainly unimaginative and inflexible.

Shortest form: As a strategist, the hits are being felt by NCsoft, and they've barely begun.

Second message: This is the murderer issuing an official statement that they "really tried hard" not kill what they had a choice about murdering, and hoping that "Oh they loved it like I did, they're really sorry!" should be your takeaway from that and that should make EVERYTHING just fine, right?

I don't take "We loved it too!" as anything but an insult to our intelligence.

Nah, this is a "There, that'll shut'em up" attempt, as if talking to six-year-olds.

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Graphite

• Lieutenant
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2012, 01:44:45 AM »
You lead Tony, we'll follow.

Time to kick the tires and light the fires.

We are HEROES, this is what we do!

/em salute

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2012, 01:47:24 AM »
Find out how he's willing to help first.  That's less imposing than asking for something specific.

I just don't know what dad should ask him to help with...i mean since asking NCSOFT to not shut down and in return he'd advertise or whatever is out of the question now.

Glad to hear your dad is out of the hospital!!!!!!!!!!

Does Bob Seger have a web page? Twitter?? Any celebrity endorsement that will reach a lot of people is good imo.

Yes he's out and in a lot of pain and seeking options for his cancer.

He just told me he was going to his (bob) house today and something about kid rock but he said he can't ask him becuase he doesn't know him and that he'd have to get to know him (kid rock) first before asking him to help.

I'll just call him right now and update this in about 5 mins...

Not answering, i hope he didn't over do it...i'll keep you posted
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:08:45 AM by Moonfyire101 »

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2012, 01:52:54 AM »
Ask HIM what he'd be willing to do.  It's always better if someone volunteers what he thinks he can bring to the table.

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2012, 01:53:34 AM »
Ask HIM what he'd be willing to do.  It's always better if someone volunteers what he thinks he can bring to the table.

Yes, thats a better idea

dwturducken

• Elite Boss

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2012, 01:56:31 AM »
As to the topic at hand.....

This is the same company that thought nothing of FORGING a letter from Richard Garriott in order to shut down Tabula Rasa.

Why would we believe anything that admitted forgers have to tell us?

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2012, 01:59:59 AM »
Exactly, VV. Exactly.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2012, 02:01:50 AM »

This is the same company that thought nothing of FORGING a letter from Richard Garriott in order to shut down Tabula Rasa.

Oh, well, of course they thought you'd forget that. Gee golly! It's like a murderer returning to commit homicide again every 3 years in the same county and being apprehended every time with the same surprised expression on his face.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2012, 02:06:55 AM »

I'm not sure if this is the proper place or not but I explored the forum a little and it seems that the talks and meetings were going good. What happened? Any word on that yet?