Author Topic: On Che-Myun  (Read 2681 times)

StarRanger4

• Boss
On Che-Myun
« on: October 05, 2012, 10:52:11 PM »

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: On Che-Myun
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 12:48:08 AM »
The take-away I get from this is that it is perfectly acceptable to lie through your teeth...phrased a bit more gracefully.  I find it interesting that the two situations (ours and the blogger's) are actually pretty similar.  Both of us are losing our homes....

My question would be what the reaction would be to having the lie exposed.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 03:59:32 AM »
If it's anything like how Japanese-esq culture is presented in L5R? They will be offended that you shamed them by exposing it. They are, however, shamed. And if you do it as artfully as your letter, VV, suggests, they're shamed so hard that you might be spared actual shame, yourself, for exposing it.

It's kind-of related to Kibun; if you're so offended by the lie, so hurt by it, that it is impossible to ignore it and politely hide the spectacle, then it's their fault for being so discourteous and insincere. The sticky point is if they sounded believable enough that you calling them out is rude rather than inevitable.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 04:04:35 AM »
If it's anything like how Japanese-esq culture is presented in L5R? They will be offended that you shamed them by exposing it. They are, however, shamed. And if you do it as artfully as your letter, VV, suggests, they're shamed so hard that you might be spared actual shame, yourself, for exposing it.

It's kind-of related to Kibun; if you're so offended by the lie, so hurt by it, that it is impossible to ignore it and politely hide the spectacle, then it's their fault for being so discourteous and insincere. The sticky point is if they sounded believable enough that you calling them out is rude rather than inevitable.

Hmm.  My initial reaction is, "well then, what can we lose?"  I'm not a studio or a company trying to buy them. 
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 04:13:16 AM »
The only thing we could lose is, if we do it poorly, the respect of those in front of whom we're trying to shame NCSoft. I think your proposed letter, if it somehow slipped out, would be an artful way to do it. Especially if the out-slippage could be politely pretended to be unintentional. (Polite pretense is a HUGE part of the Eastern mindset, it seems. The "don't make a scene" and "tell a white lie to protect others' feelings" sort of thing.)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 04:43:18 AM »
The only thing we could lose is, if we do it poorly, the respect of those in front of whom we're trying to shame NCSoft. I think your proposed letter, if it somehow slipped out, would be an artful way to do it. Especially if the out-slippage could be politely pretended to be unintentional. (Polite pretense is a HUGE part of the Eastern mindset, it seems. The "don't make a scene" and "tell a white lie to protect others' feelings" sort of thing.)

I'll send it as it is to Mr Kim, then if we need to escalate, we need to figure out how to get it to "slip out."

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 06:48:17 AM »
I'll send it as it is to Mr Kim, then if we need to escalate, we need to figure out how to get it to "slip out."

Your letter was openly shared with the community so that those with more knowledge in these areas could help prevent you from shaming yourself by appearing such a fool and mocking the Korean culture.
It is through no fault of your own that someone chose to share it with a major new outlet or two.. ;)

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 12:36:14 PM »
Or include it in ads bought in major Korean papers...