Author Topic: Time is not almost out!  (Read 2778 times)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
Time is not almost out!
« on: November 07, 2012, 11:39:56 AM »
Hello friends!

So I was panicking earlier this evening (morning?).  Only 23 more days until City of Heroes goes offline.  I guess I was hit with that initial shock all over again.  My boyfriend had to deal with it (he went to bed early for a good reason).  After tabling my emotional reaction, I started thinking a little more clearly.  So here I am.  I wanted to remind you guys, in the absence of any news from the heroes here at Titan, that this DOES NOT end on November 30th.

I was playing the game earlier on the beta server.  There was a TOTAL of 8 people, myself included, online.  Only 8.  As I gleefully redeemed hundreds of super packs, I was hit with a corrosive sense of despair.  My joy of running around with DXP and all the 8-hour amplifiers began to wane rather quickly.  The reason I enjoy the game so much, as I'm certain many of you would agree, is the constant chatter, team-building, etc that comes from other players, i.e. the community.  I.e. you guys. 

So here's my point: Just because the game goes offline doesn't mean that our community dies.  Being of little consequence, I don't have much reassuring news.  I don't have any news, actually.  But I hope you all believe in this community as strongly as I do.  You guys are truly amazing, and this isn't over.  No matter the final outcome, whether it's a miracle, a bootlegged Cities or Plan Z I firmly believe that we can survive.

I hope you all share this sentiment.  /endemotionalrant 

Love,
emu       

Frostyfrozen

• Boss
Re: Time is not almost out!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 12:08:37 PM »
Very True Emu
And there is a number of Steam & FB groups out there to join. And I know its been suggested to wear a CoH themed T-shirt to any comic & game cons. So we can identify each other and at the less say "Hi".

mikec777

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 12:44:56 PM »
I agree with you in part. Time is not running out. I don't know if anything we have done as a community has made a difference except for tony's plan z. I for one am taking a different tact. Most have sworn that if coh does indeed close on november 30th that they will never purchase another ncsoft product. I on the other hand am going to purchase everything they have out to date. I am going to donate all of these copies along with my original copies of coh and all the expansions I have purchased over the years to the maker of the blendtec blender. Hopefully the video he makes will go viral on youtube. A symbolic gesture of what the american people think of the companies that choose corperate politics or personal gain over customer service and good business decisions. I realize this will have no effect whatsoever on the outcome of anything, but it sounds like fun and I will do it. I have been in the computer industry for 30 years. I have owned almost every game deck and almost every game. The one thing I can state is that by far the most impressive thing I have seen over the years is the community of the city of heroes. They and the Devs who were a part of that community are what made the game in my opinion one of the greatest games ever written. I don't have much to offer in the way of support for plan z but even after the game sunsets I will continue to monitor this site and any assistance I can offer Tony. I will be grateful to do Financial or otherwise.

Undercat

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 01:36:23 PM »
I hope you all share this sentiment.

You bet.

In a world of MMOs that are balanced for PvP and then "tweaked" for PvE---a world where social behavior is generally restricted to week-long slogs through technically tricky dungeons on endless gear-grinds---City of Heroes was a genuine blessing with its near total disregard for PvP balance in favor of encouraging light-hearted social PvE behavior. It was a game you could log into for an hour or two at a time, group up with a bunch of surprisingly level-headed people, and go knock the stuffing out of thick packs of enemy mobs. Then log back out without having to deal with endless QQ'ing about people losing rolls for some stupid acme-gear that only drops once every 10,000 runs. CoX instances were not designed around bleeding-edge gear. Besides, players could simply adjust the difficulty to suit their mood regardless of gear...or incarnate powers, or what have you.

And this is to say nothing of social phenomenon like Pocket D, or whimsical events like costume contests. Can you imagine a costume contest in most other MMOs? It would go like this: who just got the best drop. Utterly void of personality.

God I wish more games were like this one. -sigh-

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 06:26:57 PM »
As I said on the day this dreadful news broke, this is not the end.

Things will change, fundamentally and irrevokably, as all things must. But in an entertainment format known mostly for musclebound pirates or nearly naked blow-up dolls hewing and slaying for gold, City of Heroes, where such people are the "bad guys" and we play those striving selflessly for the greater good, is too noble and elevating an idea to lie fallow forever. City of Heroes will return in some form, stronger and better than ever.

Flashtoo

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 09:38:29 PM »
When the servers go out, it isn't over. It only means we have nothing left to lose, and an enemy with nothing to lose is scary.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 10:24:08 PM »
They can take away our City, but they can never take away our HEROISM!

* DrakeGrimm puts on blue face paint
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 10:59:30 PM »
When the servers go out, it isn't over. It only means we have nothing left to lose, and an enemy with nothing to lose is scary.
Or, as Sun Tzu said :-

Soldiers when in desperate straits lose the sense of fear. If there is no place of refuge, they will stand firm. If they are in hostile country, they will show a stubborn front. If there is no help for it, they will fight hard.

TheBeatnik

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »
Until Nov. 30, we all will continue to play heroes.
On Dec. 1 and thenceforward, we will all BE heroes.
Some of us here, I believe, have begun that metamorphosis already. There are a ton of you here that I'd be proud to point to and say "THIS is one of my heroes!"

I'll continue to hope for and try to contribute to the rebirth of CoH (whether it be in the form of Plan Z, or CoH2, or something completely unexpected) for a long time
to come. But in the meantime, as I play other games, I'll be keeping an eye out hoping to spot some of you, and knowing when I do that that game is the better for
your presence.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 12:50:05 AM »
I wanted to purchase X-Com, but I'm waiting until the shutdown, just to enjoy CoH as much as I can.