Author Topic: Operation EU  (Read 2624 times)

Frostyfrozen

• Boss
Operation EU
« on: September 21, 2012, 10:57:47 AM »
In all this is I maybe mistaken but where do our EU server Heroes stand in this? I'm not calling them/you out but asking. Have we given them the chance to stand the line for their world too? We know the EU servers are smaller.
So maybe we should think of doing a rally with them we could make toons there and all??

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
Re: Operation EU
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 11:28:53 AM »
I'm fairly sure we have quite a few European players on here already, myself included (though I always stayed on the US servers where I started).
If not, some people might have to reach out on the EU forums, especially those who are fluent in the relevant languages.

Harermuir

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 12:30:04 PM »
From French side. The mobilisation of the player has been relayed to the media, mainly on internet, with a long article on the main videogame (http://www.gamekult.com/actu/il-faut-sauver-city-of-heroes-A104341.html). But in fact, we have already been stabbed by NCsoft a few month ago this year, and it has very badly hurt our communauty.

And i go back to vigil on vigi ...

Riff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 01:49:56 PM »
Well the Brits and English speaking Europeans are already here in full force and supporting all efforts in our own ways.

One of the biggest problems with the French & German servers was simply the language barrier. Once NCSoft turned them into "legacy" servers, it made things even worse so I don't know how much support they can/will give.

CapaDevans

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 02:43:56 PM »
Yes, the Brits are already amongst you. :D

One thing I've noticed is that the French/German natives have good English skills. A post in their server forums which is short and clear - and even in English - will be understood. If no one has already done so, then a "Come help save CoH/CoV [link]" post is well worth it.

They learn English very young and are exposed to it through TV a lot more than English speakers are exposed to other languages.

I'm living with a Romanian whose English vocabulary is better than many natives. I recall having several conversations with a lovely French lady on Virtue; most of which was in English because my schoolgirl French was about 30 years past. I Moderate an internet forum and I'm constantly impressed by the language skills. Not everyone will be completely fluent or be able to grasp subtleties but most will understand a lot more than expected.

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 03:48:27 PM »
The Dutch are here too! Mainly reading, since I can hardly contribute other than join the in game actions.
Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 04:34:38 PM »
I stayed on the US servers, too. I'm UK and Virtue :D
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Merana

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 04:46:13 PM »
I am one of the german players, and i am here too. But i never was much of an forum poster, or reader. I don`t play every day either, and my toons are on Zukunft, which is pretty much dead now. I made a new toon on Virtue, but i guess my playing times (mostly evening here) don`t fit in too well with the different time zones. I started playing mmorpgs mainly because my now husband is an avid computer gamer, and we had many discussions about him playing too much, so i decided to try his hobby. The usual computer games where you play alone never hooked me, but mmorpgs are fine for me. But COH was the first game i wanted to buy, so it is something special for me as it is for most here. We even met our best man in it, who is now a very good friend. We both were very shocked and sad when we heard the news. We got some of our old SG-friends to look back into the game and to sign the petition, but we never were a big SG at any time. We will try to join as many events as we can, and keep up hope.

Rapthorn

• Underling
  • @Rapthorn - Union/Virtue
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 12:47:43 AM »
Hey all! Rappy here! Unionite and EU player (although I did spend some time on Virtue in the past months).

I will be re-installing the game tomorrow so that I can start supporting this in full force!

Frostyfrozen

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 05:49:27 AM »
Nice to see all these posts :)

Super Ready

• Underling
  • Scrapper until the end
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 08:47:03 AM »
I am a humble yet proud Britonian! Rest assured, we're already on it. I know many members of Defiant, myself included, have been active and to be honest, we don't need to be included in the server activities because of transfer availability that most of us still have. We were there on Virtue.   ;)

You may not have known this, but Riff's very much EU as well.
"Hard pressed on my right. My centre is yielding. Impossible to manoeuvre. Situation excellent. I am attacking." - General Ferdinand Foch

Frostyfrozen

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 08:53:54 AM »
Sorry to hear about the hit you all took earlier this year. For I did not hear of this Legacy project.

Liz_Bathory

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 10:57:44 AM »
Here too.. (from the Netherlands) ... last day of my vacation.

Will do what I can on UNION when I get back... Which is tomorrow.

ohms

• Boss
    • OV website
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 02:27:12 PM »
Union/Defiant player here :)

RogerWilco

• Lieutenant
  • The Adventurous Janitor
    • The Conclave - International Gaming Community
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 12:14:08 AM »
I'm a Dutch Union player as well. I've had some contact with Liz Bathory.

Unfortunately there is not a lot I can do right now, as I'm stuck on Premium. My sub ran out during my holidays in the last week of August, because I got some friends to join the game. I've since tried to get VIP again, bought a boxed set from Amazon.co.uk, only to have it arrive on the 20th, the day after they closed that loophole. Nearly all my characters are Rogues so there is virtually nothing I can do, I only play a bit on the Beta server, forums and most of my characters are locked even though I have plenty of server slots.

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 07:25:58 PM »
A Brit here.

I just sent the following message to BBC Click (the BBC's technology reporting service) under the heading "Social Media and Community"

I wish to bring to the attention of the BBC the situation surrounding the Massively Multiplayer Online game "City of Heroes" - developed in the USA and published (and owned) by the South Korean company NCsoft.

On 31st August NCsoft announced that they were closing down development of the game immediately, and would be closing the game before the end of the year.

This action came as a complete shock to the players of the game and the 80-strong development team who had earlier that day launched an advertisement for an upcoming content release to the game. Everyone believed that the game, while small, was still profitable.

The community of players of City of Heroes is one of the friendliest in the online world, and an initiative has been launched to do something - almost anything - to save this beloved game, as well as preserve the unique and innovative example of success at using online means to foster a close-knit community.

Many players consider City of Heroes to be a second home.

Please find links to a central information website dedicated to the "#savecoh" initiative; a  video created by one of the players about the announced closure and the steps being taken to preserve the game and community; the community-created and run forum where the initiative is being managed; and an online petition to NCsoft that was started requesting that the game be saved.

It is my heartfelt desire that, while City of Heroes will never be a household name like the ubiquitous World of Warcraft, the BBC would find it newsworthy to report upon these events and the people involved.

Many thanks for your time.

http://www.savecoh.com
http://youtu.be/pC3tseY-ic0
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/board,134.0.html
http://www.change.org/petitions/ncsoft-keep-ncsoft-from-shutting-down-city-of-heroes

No idea if it will get any reporting, we'll have to see.
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 07:44:44 PM »
GB player from long before the EU servers existed (home server Victory), I met some of you at the recent EU meet, still here and watching these boards, looking for something I can do to help.