Author Topic: State of the Titan  (Read 106052 times)

Osborn

• Boss
Re: State of the Titan
« Reply #320 on: September 29, 2012, 09:02:09 PM »
I think that the point wasn't so much that those particular issues needed solving; it was that something as simple as, "We're going to sell the game to X" can quickly become a multi-thousand page contract in which each party tries to suss out every minor detail and contingency that might come up.  And as each point arises, there is yet another unique opportunity for either side to draw a line in the sand and say, "We're not budging from this."

Negotiations like this are tricky and take a while, and almost every lawsuit that has ever been filed over a contract dispute has been because something wasn't spelled out clearly and one side disagreed with the other over what the meaning or intention was.

This is also exactly why even if we're doing well in the negotiations, we won't hear any real news from it until it's done, and we need to be patient either way.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #321 on: September 29, 2012, 09:12:28 PM »
I would like to add that according to what TA put on his blog there are things transpiring that cannot be discussed. It is very possible that there are already potential investors in place but they need to see information and financials etc etc..

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #322 on: September 29, 2012, 09:50:44 PM »
I thank everyone who spelled out on this post how challenging something that seems so simple on those of us on the outside and not in this industry these things can be. One thing I drew out from Thor's Assassin's post is that it seems as of the core of the Paragon Studios staff seems focused, dedicated and they want to see CoH continue even more than we want to. They have spent a part of their lives on this project.

I also suspect there are negotiations that have to happen about CoH 2. I cant see CoH lasting long term even if all the rights to it were secured. There would have to a future beyond what we have now and hopefully our characters would transfer over into that new project. That is imperative as well IMO and needs to be figured out as well.

The one thing I agree we need to do is not go negative and look like a bunch of angry game nerds, that wont get us anywhere.

I think you're getting ahead of yourself. One thing at a time. Worry about CoH first, then think about CoH2. (whatever that is, anyway)
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #323 on: September 29, 2012, 10:05:49 PM »
Call it a leap of faith, but I really believe that something will happen to save the game.

I have the same belief.

I have a gut feeling that something is going to happen, and also had De ja vu about it, but that hasn't happened yet.

Note: In that De ja vu, I was IN GAME. I hope this means it's in the future, past November 30th.

Praying for our success, and standing in game as a vigil.

Omega Mark V, out.
- Omega Mk. V

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #324 on: September 30, 2012, 12:25:56 AM »
I think you're getting ahead of yourself. One thing at a time. Worry about CoH first, then think about CoH2. (whatever that is, anyway)

Actually I dont think I am getting ahead of myself at all. CoH needs to be saved first which I believe I stated.. However for long term health it would be prudent to begin to develop a newer more up to date game that could possibly incorporate the original game.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #325 on: September 30, 2012, 01:40:15 AM »
@Joshex  To answer your question, the level of investment that is being sought is:

The-price-of-a-nice-house-in-a-good-neighborhood-in-Los Angeles size, not the-price-of-a-good-used-car size.

AND

Each house-sized chunk of money MUST come from an individual, not a pool of individuals.

I can actually understand that last.  No one wants to have to account for/to 10,000 people who pitched in $50 each.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #326 on: September 30, 2012, 01:46:14 AM »
Each house-sized chunk of money MUST come from an individual, not a pool of individuals.

I can actually understand that last.  No one wants to have to account for/to 10,000 people who pitched in $50 each.

That requirement could possibly kind of be worked around by forming a new Limited Liability Corporation (or using one that already exists).  The LLC acts in the place of an individual as a funding source, and handles all the fund raising in the background.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #327 on: September 30, 2012, 01:49:24 AM »
That requirement could possibly kind of be worked around by forming a new Limited Liability Corporation (or using one that already exists).  The LLC acts in the place of an individual as a funding source, and handles all the fund raising in the background.

Well it's not an option Formerly-Known-As-Paragon intends to pursue at this time.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #328 on: September 30, 2012, 02:14:47 AM »
Hm. *checks the price of a house in Los Angeles* Pity I don't know the area and thus don't know if a "good neighborhood" is "anything that shows up on this search" or "$1M+".

But at least I have a range.

The question is, can I find the means...

Well. We'll see. Now at least I have...a range.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #329 on: September 30, 2012, 08:04:54 PM »
I've been following the discussion in various threads since TonyV started his work to save COH. It seemed apparent to me that unless you have helpful contacts or skills involving, the law, international negotiation, venture capital or system migration most of are relegated to "go team"  type help.

I myself don't have those skills, but I have others and some of them are useful in "plan Z". So I have mainly been working in that area exclusively with the understanding that any and all of our will be wasted if COH is saved. That is still my understanding and everyone else s working on "plan Z"

I am making this comment mainly to show support for those directly involved in everything but "plan Z". I promise you that as jazzed as we are about what we are doing, we hope it is all bound for the bit bucket.

Until it is, we'll keep working on it. I'll personally leave all the rest to you who are involved. I've no comment about what or how you are doing it, no suggestions, no money that would help or anything else. I can offer Solidarity to the ones the driving the car. From the backseat where I'm sitting that is about all I care and dare to do.

So GO TEAM!

AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

chaparralshrub

• Elite Boss
« Reply #330 on: September 30, 2012, 08:35:17 PM »
Plan Z has come up with some need ideas that I'd be happy to see Paragon implement, though. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them come to light not as part of Plan Z but as features of a revived CoH.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #331 on: September 30, 2012, 11:50:32 PM »
Oh I agree, I just don't want to distract anyone who's working on other options. There are some very cool ideas - Amusement park(closed or not), Lovecraftian horror and much more.

But Eyes on the prize I say!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #332 on: October 01, 2012, 04:08:05 AM »
Thanks as always for the updates!  :-)

Until further word, it's symbolically /em holdtorch for me (unless I'm teaming up with friends and playing.)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #333 on: October 01, 2012, 07:00:57 AM »
@Joshex  To answer your question, the level of investment that is being sought is:

The-price-of-a-nice-house-in-a-good-neighborhood-in-Los Angeles size, not the-price-of-a-good-used-car size.

AND

Each time I see that, I get a mental picture of the Star Wars galactic senate =P

Kosmos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #334 on: October 02, 2012, 05:53:08 AM »
Hm. *checks the price of a house in Los Angeles* Pity I don't know the area and thus don't know if a "good neighborhood" is "anything that shows up on this search" or "$1M+".

But at least I have a range.

The question is, can I find the means...

Well. We'll see. Now at least I have...a range.

The price of a nice house in a good neighborhood in Southern California is probably at least $500k. It does strongly depend upon what is meant by the adjectives of course, but that's likely the low end for meeting that description.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #335 on: October 02, 2012, 09:28:21 AM »
The minimum on the price range I found was $500k, the max "$1M+"

So yes.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #336 on: October 02, 2012, 02:25:30 PM »
(regarding Cider)
I am unfamiliar with this one.
It is the technology used for the Mac port. Transgaming however licenses this technology to anyone, hell, I have a license. It is based on WINE, and works quite well.

http://transgaming.com/cider

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #337 on: October 10, 2012, 02:14:29 PM »
Not sure what thread to post this, but this one seemed right.
Can someone tell or direct me to a thread where it states what NCSoft gains by shutting down CoH? I'm writing a persuasive essay, saying that CoH shouldn't be shut down, and I need advantages and disadvantages, but I can't think of any advantages for NCSoft. I've got plenty of disadvantages both from personal experience and what I've read on this forum (especially the Testimonials thread).

Any info would be apretiated. Thanks!

LT. Couper
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #338 on: October 10, 2012, 02:20:48 PM »
Unfortunately, I forget the threads, but among other suggestions have been thoughts that they were looking for a tax writeoff due to "losses" projected from cutting the game.

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #339 on: October 10, 2012, 04:28:17 PM »
Not sure what thread to post this, but this one seemed right.
Can someone tell or direct me to a thread where it states what NCSoft gains by shutting down CoH? I'm writing a persuasive essay, saying that CoH shouldn't be shut down, and I need advantages and disadvantages, but I can't think of any advantages for NCSoft. I've got plenty of disadvantages both from personal experience and what I've read on this forum (especially the Testimonials thread).

Any info would be apretiated. Thanks!

LT. Couper

Realignment of company focus was the (possibly slightly paraphrased) original reason.   There have been a lot of ideas postulated on the forums, but that's the company's only official statement to that regard.