Author Topic: Light A Fire: Contact Texan, Washington State, and Californian Lawmakers  (Read 11982 times)

LtlBtyRam

• Minion
Re: Light A Fire: Contact Texan, Washington State, and Californian Lawmakers
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2012, 12:46:45 AM »
As far as I'm concerned bringing this to the attention of representatives is about trying to save jobs.  I live in a region where this could happen again.  I am worried about ArenaNet which is located in Bellevue Washington which is a suburb of Seattle.  I don't want those jobs to be done away with arbitrarily like those of Paragon Studios.  I do plan on contacting my representative so they are aware of the situation.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2012, 12:48:58 AM »
As far as I'm concerned bringing this to the attention of representatives is about trying to save jobs.  I live in a region where this could happen again.  I am worried about ArenaNet which is located in Bellevue Washington which is a suburb of Seattle.  I don't want those jobs to be done away with arbitrarily like those of Paragon Studios.  I do plan on contacting my representative so they are aware of the situation.

This.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2012, 12:56:35 AM »
wow.

I was just going to come in, lighten the mood and suggest that if you want headlines, simply sleep on a corduroy pillow.

There's no question (I'm sure) that for most people, the loss of CoH is not the biggest problem facing our country. However, given the testimonials I read, and my own situation, the closure of CoH isn't just a tiny blip in the radar either.

For people who have spent 8 years playing their characters, developing the bios, costumes - and [personal cough] role-playing, the eventual loss is a big deal.

Sure, we'd all love gas to drop back to 2 bucks a gallon or even cheaper, but those days are gone.

Is it worth our politicians time to look at this? The answer to that question is only answered by another: do you pay taxes and live in the jurisdiction of that politician? Years ago, before this game was made, I was a manager at Hooters of America. And, the EOCC had decided that we were violating some rules by not having male servers. (we did have some clowns in the Chicago area actually agree to wear the Hooters' girl uniform, and that wasn't pretty) Well, myself and a few others - and many of our customers - wrote our respective congressmen.
What was at stake?  For me - nothing really. I'd have had to manage men and women instead of just women. No big deal. But - there was the potential for losing my job because 90% of our guests were male and were not going to nurse a pitcher of beer with a male serving them. Was I losing sight of what was really important? Did my congressman have more serious things on his plate? Possibly. When's all said and done, I pay my taxes and expect to be able to comment or complain to my congressmen at any time, regardless of what's currently at the top of my congressman's to-do list.

God bless all of you - for you all have passion, and life without passion isn't much of a life at all.
Take some time, step away from the computer and enjoy your life for a moment - there's something to appreciate in every life. 
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2012, 01:07:09 AM »
When's all said and done, I pay my taxes and expect to be able to comment or complain to my congressmen at any time, regardless of what's currently at the top of my congressman's to-do list.

This, exactly.  Folks, if you do not agree with this action, you are perfectly free not to do it.  For heaven's sake, I am not dictating to anyone what to do or not to do, I am merely suggesting actions you can take.  And remember, your local politicians are equally free to crap-can your letter.  They have aides to do just that.  If you do agree with it, and I personally am of the opinion that the guy whose salary I am paying should be answerable to me, then remember you are competing for a politician's attention with people who want a National Pickle Day, want zoning exceptions for pet potbellied pigs and pigmy roosters, or want a street renamed, and are just as passionate about it.

As for NCSoft, again, this is a tactic to put outside pressure on them to release (in some form) the IP.  People who have classic cars have put the same sort of pressure on firms to release the tooling dies so they can restore a 37 Huppmobile.  Yes they have a perfect right to sunset a game.  And we have a perfect right to try to influence them so they can get one more drop of profit out of it and benefit us at the same time.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2012, 01:15:57 AM »
What was at stake?  For me - nothing really. I'd have had to manage men and women instead of just women. No big deal. But - there was the potential for losing my job because 90% of our guests were male and were not going to nurse a pitcher of beer with a male serving them.

Exactly the point I was trying to make.  and it wasn't just your personal job, it was potentially the jobs of everyone employed by Hooters.  right now the US needs all the jobs we can find.  Loosing any right now hurts us all; it doesnt matter if its 80 people employed by a game studio or how many a major oil company employs.

In addition, the current administration made this loss of jobs at all levels of the economy a major campaing point 4 years ago.  I feel its time to point out to them... well not all of them, but the ones most directly affected (my direct represntatives, because they are MY voice to the government whether I voted for them or not, and those who's constituencies ARE being impacted by this action) and give them the opportunity, or not, to act if they feel its the proper thing to do.

Somehow this earnest attempt to do something right resulted in my passing out massive doses of supradyne.  I dont apologize for my position, but I do hearby apologize for all the sudden Trollkin I seem to have created by expressing it.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2012, 02:08:16 AM »
There is a group, comprised of former developers, in negotiation with NCSoft. Who are they? What is this offer? What's being discussed?

We don't, and won't, know.

Corporate negotiations at this level are entirely kept behind closed doors, and wrapped up in more NDA red tape than top secret government documents in the Pentagon.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2012, 02:12:01 AM »
I think what it comes down to is this...

If you want to write to a politician: Do so.

If you do not want to write to a politician: Don't.

At this point I don't want Tony to have to lock up another thread. It's not that either side doesn't have a right to speak their mind, but we want to keep the threads focused on efforts and there is a private message system in place for people to discuss specific or personal opinions at a detailed level. Can we agree on that?
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2012, 02:16:34 AM »
And people write to their representatives about that kind of thing all the time. If you do not personally feel they should be contacted, that is your right. It is our right as tax payers to write or call the office of our duly elected representatives about whatever the heck we feel like discussing. Stop presuming to infringe on our rights. Your opinion has been voiced, counter opinions offered, more opinions issued back. At this point we've pretty much all had a say.

Time for us to put on our big boy pants and move on to other things, guys.

LtlBtyRam

• Minion
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2012, 02:20:39 AM »

I won't even mention saving City of Heroes in my communications as it doesn't play a part in what I wan't my representatives to be wary of.  Basically it's gonna be this. 

I want you to be aware of a situation which may arise here in our state.  A Korean company by the name of NC Soft has shut down a software development studio by the name of Paragon Studios in California.  Paragon Studios employed at least 80 people and was making money.  The parent company of NC Soft also owns a software development studio here in the Puget Sound.  The local is company is ArenaNet.  I don't want to see jobs taken away from our area because the parent company is refocusing their assets as was the reason for the shutdown of Paragon Studios.

I understand there are negotiations happening right now regarding the Pacific and labor issues.  I wanted to bring your attention to this issue so we can keep these businesses open and growing in the US.

Thank you for your time.
Signed with my full name

In closing this post
Angela
aka @Ventus vis Vires on Triumph server
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 02:30:02 AM by Victoria Victrix »

Mold

• Underling
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2012, 05:21:18 AM »
No sorry but you can't compare this, a video game, to the oil and gas industry that affects everyone in the country. It's their company and their property. It's not shipping American jobs overseas it's closing a part of their company, which is happening daily in this country right now. The more you try to make this out to be an international incident, the more you're probably going to offend the hell out of the Koreans and make them want to get this over with. And again, this is not a higher priority than what our legislators are SUPPOSED to be dealing with right now. What's next asking for a CoH bailout? Please use some common sense.

One thing our legislators are supposed to do is promote economic growth. I have lived in two areas where the big employer for those areas where closed. One is a ghost town and the other thriving. You know what the difference was, the state legislators in the thriving city pushed for state tax breaks and local incentives to encourage investors to open new businesses and to grow existing ones. A good Legislator just does vote party lines and toe the line, they work with communities. If they can't do something directly nine times out ten they put you in touch with someone who can help. We aren't asking for a bailout, but we are asking for help weather it is making restart of Paragon Studios attractive to investors or just some encouraging word of support.  Yes I now live in one of these states and have written to lawmakers here.

@Mold and @MrMold

Jerlstrom

• Underling
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2012, 02:51:25 PM »
I am confused - was Paragon in Washington State, or California?

If Paragon was in California, I wonder what the state's Labor Relations Board thinks of all this?

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2012, 03:10:11 PM »
I am confused - was Paragon in Washington State, or California?

If Paragon was in California, I wonder what the state's Labor Relations Board thinks of all this?

Paragon was in California.

ArenaNet is headquartered in Washington State.

NCSoft has corporate offices in Washington State and Texas.
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Jerlstrom

• Underling
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2012, 06:04:58 PM »
Thank you, Sith Rose.  I will now go bug my Congresscritters.

LastRonin

• Underling
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2012, 06:57:37 PM »
OK, I said what I thought was my final word in another thread, but I'm going to break that statement.

ARE YOU GUYS KIDDING?!?!? A company decides they want to refocus THEIR own efforts and sunset a video game that was maybe profitable (no one here is taking overhead and taxes into account and anyone that claims to know for sure is lying), and people think THIS is a reason to go after government for intervention? With all the issues going on right now, THIS is a reason to try to contact the government, A VIDEO GAME??? Forget the wars being fought, the economy, the labor issues, the domestic violence, the corruption, as long as we get them to focus on what's important, COH.

Seriously, this is ridiculous. I'm a business owner in Texas. If I decided to close a part of my business down and refocus on something else, just how the hell is it the government's business to get involved (unless I'm doing something illegal)? You guys are making less sense on this than the occupy people were that didn't even know why they were protesting. I'm sorry but if you get the legislators / senators / congressmen here in Texas to pay attention to this then I want them all fired for ignoring the serious matters.

This is exactly what I was talking about too. If you want to make a difference in the world, do it. This ISN'T the world, it's an escape from the world, it's entertainment. It's not going to make us gamers look capable, it's going to make us look out of touch with reality if we ask everyone that should be paying attention to the real world to stop and pay attention to something that in the grand scheme of things is trivial. This is coming from a 8+ year vet of CoH, who has 4 kids that also play the game. Please don't go this route, as it's amatuerish at best and seriously makes us all look like asses. This is a business thing, not a political thing. Do you WANT to give the jackasses misleading the country more of a reason to not do their jobs?

Honestly... look at the worst case. Nothing bad ever comes from trying. If they go this route and nothing comes of it, at least they tried. The negativity is just a waste of time... sir.

Last Ronin (aka Chuck Vick)

darkskye

• Minion
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2012, 07:10:26 PM »
I won't even mention saving City of Heroes in my communications as it doesn't play a part in what I wan't my representatives to be wary of.  Basically it's gonna be this. ...

Can I steal this with a little rewording for Texas?

LtlBtyRam

• Minion
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2012, 01:09:14 AM »
Can I steal this with a little rewording for Texas?

Sure be my guest.   ;) ;D

This was just a gist of what I want to say.  I'm going to flesh it out and maybe provide a reference web site or two.