Author Topic: Links to evaluate value of City of Heroes  (Read 1282 times)

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
Links to evaluate value of City of Heroes
« on: September 20, 2012, 03:47:40 PM »
I've seen a lot of wild numbers thrown around, so I decided to do some digging. Only took a few moments to find a few interesting things, which I am not really qualified to evaluate though I can plug numbers into a spreadsheet and come up with unfounded calculations with the best of them. So I thought I'd share some of what I found.

MMO Industry Report Shows Mixed Fortunes

An interesting figure cited in this report is that the market value of the entire European and North American total MMO market was $1.6 billion in 2009, expected to rise to $2 billion by 2014. Those figures seem to be drawn from this report:

Subscription MMOGs - Mixed Fortunes in High Risk Game

I'd give a lot to read that report.. but not $2,400. The synopsis lists three tables of particular interest to us:

NCsoft: Key data points
NCsoft: Share of Western consumer revenues, 2009
NCsoft: Consumer subscription consumer revenues, 2005-2009

MMOdata.net

You will have to judge the quality of the data on this site for yourself. The numbers here do seem to match those from other sources pretty well.

I ran across this for Activision/Blizzard:

Form 10k Annual Report SEC filing

Would be nice to find the same form for NCsoft, so far I've had no luck digging it up.

If I get time to do any more idle digging, will post what I find in here. Would request that anyone else interested do the same. Without sharing my wild calculations with anyone, it appears to me that VV's $10 million figure is a reasonable ballpark figure. More data to play with couldn't hurt.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
Re: Links to evaluate value of City of Heroes
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 03:50:17 PM »
Nice work so far. Thanks for confirming VV's ballpark figure as valid. Got a rough boundary of "high estimate" off of that? (I mean, are we looking at up to $20 million? Up to $100 million?) No point looking for low values; that just gets hopes up unreasonably.

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 04:39:15 PM »
Well, as I said, I am not really qualified to evaluate this info other than plugging numbers into spreadsheets and making assumptions. One figure I came up with based on those links was calculated as follows:

The total subs in the industry in 2009 was 19 million. CoH's subs in 2009 was 125,000. Making the simplifying assumption that fraction of subs equals fraction of market value, you come up with about 10 1/2 million dollars as the market value of City of Heroes in 2009. There are so many things wrong with that method that I wince to report the number, but there it is.

Using other similar uninformed guesstimates, you can come up with figures ranging from 8 million or so up to about 40 million. HOWEVER, all these numbers assume that you are buying the viable company & franchise as it existed prior to Black Friday. I haven't a clue how to evaluate what laying off the entire studio and announcing you're closing the property down does to the sale value... but it won't be pretty. Discounting 50% for the damage done by NCsoft's haste to shutter the doors wouldn't surprise me.

There's a whole industry devoted to coming up with exactly these sorts of numbers (google market valuation). A buncha fans on the net aren't going to match their numbers, admittedly, though one of the websites explaining the process admits that their numbers vary from half the sale price to as high as three times. So given some hard data to work from, we can probably derive a figure someplace in the same sort of range as the pros, even though real investors would laugh themselves silly at how we got there.

What I am seeing so far, anyway, is that VV's 10 million or so sounds a lot more reasonable to me than some of the 50 or 100 million numbers I've seen thrown around. That's just crazy talk. The big kids on the block are worth that kinda money or way more in some cases - at today's prices Activision/Blizzard has about 13 billion dollars worth of stock outstanding. ($11.84 * 1,122,866,712 shares = $13,294,741,870.08) But that's... uh... market capitalization, I think it's called, not the market value. But WoW has something like 100 times as many subscribers and is something of cultural phenomenon. (shrug)

We'd want to do a lot more extensive research than a few minutes googling before actually throwing money at any ownership scheme. It does appear to me at first glance that should it come to that, it would be worth spending the money to find out if it is worth spending the money to invest, if that makes sense. (grin)

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 06:27:22 PM »
How could I forget this one?

White paper evaluating impact of closure