Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 714283 times)

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #300 on: November 15, 2012, 03:09:44 PM »
Curses.  There was a small rebound of NCsoft's stock price today; it gained 3,000 won in value, approximately equal to $2.7 USD.

Still, they're below 165,000, and still have a lot to make up for if they want to get back to where they were this time last year.  In fact, their stock price would have to just about double.

chasearcanum

• Boss
« Reply #301 on: November 15, 2012, 07:06:12 PM »
If it comes from a redname I will accept it.

However, you guys didn't exactly paint yourselves in a good light when you all jumped on Hitstreak in the past, even accusing NCsoft of feeding him lines to the public.

Sword swings both ways.

CM, what bugs me most is your selectivity.

Yes, we have extremists prone to drama, ridiculous conspiracies, and overinflated egos on these boards but most of us try not to feed them or encourage them without censorship just as I hope we don't censor you.  That doesn't mean we endorse them or agree with them, and they are BY FAR the minority here.  You seem to be ignoring every other moderate, constructive, positive poster or you read every one of those posts in some weird way as if you assume that htey're also the authors of the more quirky crap that pops up here.  Please be careful when you make broad statements about the community, as I believe that you could be a good moderating force if you didn't feed the trolls here.

We need fewer of these extremist drama queens here, not one on the other extreme of every argument trying to counterbalance them.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #302 on: November 15, 2012, 07:25:29 PM »
To perdition with the CoH boards, and let the unicorns devour it. I've been locked out of it for ages, and could care less.

What we need to watch for is unicorns, "professional" or otherwise, sent into this board.

And in that spirit, Chasear and CM, fixing blame is not productive. Take it to PMs and let's stay focused. This thread is for stock-watching and commentary. (And I'm sorry I derailed us with kittens. Didn't mean to. And Turjan made something cool out of it.)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 07:34:02 PM by Colette »

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
« Reply #303 on: November 15, 2012, 07:28:22 PM »
If it comes from a redname I will accept it.

However, you guys didn't exactly paint yourselves in a good light when you all jumped on Hitstreak in the past, even accusing NCsoft of feeding him lines to the public.

Sword swings both ways.

Who are "you guys"?

I don't remember this jumping-on-Hit Streak thing... I guess I must've skipped the meeting. Sorry, I'll try not to make a habit of it.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #304 on: November 15, 2012, 07:44:58 PM »
Who are "you guys"?

I don't remember this jumping-on-Hit Streak thing... I guess I must've skipped the meeting. Sorry, I'll try not to make a habit of it.

I vaguely remember it, but I would hardly call it an attack on Hitstreak. From what I saw, Hitstreak was our most vocal dev-side supporter. The closest thing to an 'attack', was the suggestion that NCsoft was using Hitstreak as the messenger, in the hopes that all of our anger would be unleashed on PS instead of NCsoft.

Remember that there were no official announcements from NCsoft about CoH at all until October. And that was only a response to a massive player campaign. Even now, the response to the campaign is the closest thing we have had to an official shutdown announcement from NCsoft. Titan/SaveCoH players can't be the only ones who find that weird.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #305 on: November 15, 2012, 09:14:27 PM »
I don't even remember it being that close to foil-hat conspiracy theory, but I'd have to dig pretty far back. My recollection is that we were speculating on the possibility of not only Jessie being in the unfortunate position of having to be the mouthpiece for NCSoftcore, but Andy quitting or being fired because he refused to do it.  That was all cleared up to majority satisfaction during the first Coffee Talk that followed.

Also, Jessie has pinkeye.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #306 on: November 16, 2012, 12:54:35 AM »
There are a lot of rumors that Taek-Jin Kim is trying to unload the other half of his stock in NCSoft.

Interesting...I'm wondering now if my tinfoil hat theory of Kim wanting to bug out to manage the NCsoft pro-baseball team might actually have some legs to it after all... :o

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #307 on: November 16, 2012, 12:59:08 AM »
Interesting...I'm wondering now if my tinfoil hat theory of Kim wanting to bug out to manage the NCsoft pro-baseball team might actually have some legs to it after all... :o

If he manages the baseball team as well as he managed NCSoft Interactive....
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #308 on: November 16, 2012, 01:03:15 AM »
I'm suddenly imagining the basketball league in this week's How I Met Your Mother.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #309 on: November 16, 2012, 01:04:08 AM »
If he manages the baseball team as well as he managed NCSoft Interactive....

Well, as I understand it, Korean pro-ball teams do usually run at a loss, so...yeah, very probably ;)

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #310 on: November 16, 2012, 04:54:00 AM »

Maybe he secretly reads these boards and you gave him the idea... :o
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #311 on: November 16, 2012, 07:17:32 AM »
Also, Jessie has pinkeye.

I still giggle anytime anyone brings that up.

Artillerie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #312 on: November 16, 2012, 01:56:42 PM »

Ammon

• Team Wildcard
  • Boss
  • UK marketing guy and City of Heroes addict
« Reply #313 on: November 16, 2012, 04:03:55 PM »
Not as bad a day for them as Nov 8th when it looks like quite a lot of shares got sold, but yes, their prices are still in freefall, with no sign of bottoming out.  Their seeming inability to do anything PR wise to rally any faith in the market value is only adding to the investors jumping off.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #314 on: November 16, 2012, 04:39:03 PM »
Wow... look at that one year view! Ever since Sept 7th, around the time of the AP33 rally they've steadily lost ground, and November has been disastrous.

Still not back where they were in 2008, though. I need to break out my voodoo dolls.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #315 on: November 16, 2012, 06:21:45 PM »
I can't shake the feeling there is something seriously wrong with that picture.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

V-Mink

• Lieutenant
  • Greenside
« Reply #316 on: November 16, 2012, 07:12:54 PM »
IT's worth looking at the volume, however. November 8th, obviously, maps to a strong sudden downturn in their prices, but no other dip matches to a corresponding increase in volume; and the June 22nd spike in volume doesn't map to any spike or dip.

For a slightly different look at NCsoft's stock, look at the three- or five-year graph.  NCsoft is doing poorly compared to the past year; and over the past 104 weeks this is as low as they've been; but beyond that, they've been in far worse shape than they are now.  Also, two years ago, they were not too much better than they are now.  One could say that the 'gravy train' is over for them, but I'm not so sanguine; they've been in worse shape.

Another item of interest is how the graph takes peaks and valleys.  It seems to struggle to reach the peaks, but then topples into valleys easily/quickly.

Technerdoc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #317 on: November 16, 2012, 09:28:54 PM »
Just a little noob question: What exactly is this Stockwatch? When I'm searching the german news then I get the NC-Soft news like "There is an significant growth and they are making a lot of money because of Guild Wars and Blade & Soul", not a single word about this Stockwatch diving like a lemming down the cliff...

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #318 on: November 16, 2012, 09:49:26 PM »
... I get the NC-Soft news like "There is an significant growth and they are making a lot of money because of Guild Wars and Blade & Soul", not a single word about this Stockwatch diving like a lemming down the cliff...
Where the the blue heck are you getting your news?

We've been watching the Reuters stock graph showing NCsoft's stock prices on the Korean stock exchange (it's a Korean company).  Stock prices are in Korean Won (KRW).

Bloomberg's stock quote seems to concur.

Interestingly enough, 4-traders.com lists the estimated 2012 company value of NCsoft... at -593 billion korean won.  It's the second entry in the right-hand column on the linked page.  Oddly enough though, their data seems a little weird - for instance they list NCsoft's last close price at 165,200 won (that was a couple days ago, they've fallen rather precipitously since then), and they have no quote available, so I'd kinda take their info with a grain of salt.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #319 on: November 16, 2012, 10:17:33 PM »
Just a little noob question: What exactly is this Stockwatch? When I'm searching the german news then I get the NC-Soft news like "There is an significant growth and they are making a lot of money because of Guild Wars and Blade & Soul", not a single word about this Stockwatch diving like a lemming down the cliff...
It's a compression of the words "stock" and "watch." This thread is a "stockwatch" because it is, quite literally, an exercise in watching NCSoft's stock.