Author Topic: NCSoft Stockwatch  (Read 723074 times)

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
Re: NCSoft Stockwatch
« Reply #1720 on: February 17, 2013, 12:18:25 PM »
(funny the source has been taken down from the official ncsoft website)

Fixed the link for ya.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #1721 on: February 17, 2013, 12:55:24 PM »
Fixed the link for ya.
Thanks ! What was the typo, if I may ask ? I took this link from quarter a dozen Video Games websites.
Yeeessss....

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #1722 on: February 17, 2013, 06:05:57 PM »
(funny the source has been taken down from the official ncsoft website)
The link is dead because they changed up how the news page is done.  Current link.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1723 on: February 17, 2013, 07:26:38 PM »
It's apparently done as php now instead of html.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #1724 on: February 18, 2013, 01:25:06 PM »
In regard to advertising the game using the current superhero movie surge:

I haven't seen anyone post numbers about box office sales for the genre, so I'm linking to a site here.  If you peruse the foreign market sales after you go to one of the movie links you can see the breakdown for S. American, European, Asian, etc. countries.  For the half dozen big name movies I looked into, S. Korea, China, and Japan were typically top 10 markets... often outperforming all European countries except for the UK.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=superhero.htm

Seems from that data that superhero movies were well received by the Asian audiences.  Another interesting tidbit is the sales in Russia, Mexico and Brazil were really strong.  Based on these big spending markets it makes you think that CoX had a huge untapped playerbase.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1725 on: February 18, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
I know it was sold in Brazil cause I knew a guy who played from there. But I'd imagine it was advertised even less there than in America.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1726 on: February 18, 2013, 07:00:12 PM »
I know it was sold in Brazil cause I knew a guy who played from there. But I'd imagine it was advertised even less there than in America.
Isn't Leandro (His CoH Forum name) from South America?
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1727 on: February 18, 2013, 08:47:05 PM »

His last name, Pardini, sounds Italian if you ask me.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #1728 on: February 18, 2013, 08:56:13 PM »

Yes he's in Argentina.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1729 on: February 19, 2013, 12:00:03 AM »

There were quite a lot of Brazilians that played, they had BR in some of their global/toon names. I had a couple of toons (Jararaca and Jararaca Pintada) which are named after Brazilian venomous snakes and I kept getting asked by them in Portuguese if I was Brazilian.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1730 on: February 19, 2013, 03:18:47 AM »
His last name, Pardini, sounds Italian if you ask me.
He might be an Italian living in Argentina.
All I knew is that I recalled something about him living somewhere in South America.  :)

*somewhat associated to the point but rambling useless information*
I knew a Steve Sapon, which is Greek. He's from Ohio.
He hated the cold there so much he moved to Southern California.

Names don't really mean that much in regards to where one currently lives.

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1731 on: February 19, 2013, 06:37:53 AM »
Oh, I wasn't dismissing the possibility that he was in South America, was just saying his name sounds Italian. Wondered if that's his origin. I had never heard anything in regards to his location myself.

I maintain that NCSoft thoroughly failed City of Heroes as a publisher and I believe the game still had a lot of untapped market potential. For a game that was nearly a decade old, whose general enjoyment factor completely dwarfs anything else in my game library(it's not a small library), the general public's knowledge of City of Heroes existence is obscure at the very best. FatherXmas has already said I wasn't going to get my CoH tv spots but I can't be convinced that it was outside of NCSoft's budget to have a short commercial made for every Issue and I firmly believe they would have had a return on such an investment.
You know, if they had any clue what they were doing, that is.

It may have been outside of Paragon Studios budget but we now know that, next to their sibling subsidiaries, they received the bare bones minimum of support.

There's no reason CoH couldn't have taken a bigger chunk out of WoW's playerbase, that game has nothing going for it except addictive gameplay(for some). I tried World of Warcraft twice. Once back in 2006, before I was set in my CoH ways, I rolled a character and played for all of 7 minutes until I was struck with the most overwhelming sensation to go play outside because life is too short. Fortunately it went away once I logged in to City of Heroes and I assured my family that an ambulance was unnecessary. I tried it again this past December. While searching for something to take my mind off of how much I miss someone, I came across the copy of WoW I received as a gift and realised I had never actually used the free month that came with it, I recalled that I tried the game using a friend's account. I once again put myself through that laughable excuse for a character creator and upon popping out the other side in the middle of a crowd of 9 other players that looked almost exactly like me, I logged out and uninstalled the game immediately with no regrets. I'm certain I'm not the only person that experienced something along these lines and yet the name World of Warcraft is recognized today by even the most game illiterate person. CoH; not so much.

There's another franchise CoH could easily have taken a bite out of and not just any franchise, the one that can boast having the best selling pc game of all time; The Sims. Between CoH's character creator and base builder, there's no reason CoH shouldn't have enjoyed a fair amount of crossover from that playerbase, especially after The Sims Online was shutdown.

The thing about City of Heroes is, even though it, at first glance, appears to be a niche game that mainly caters to superhero enthusiasts and MMO players, its accessibility goes FAR beyond most any game out there. I cannot count the number of times I encountered an instance of "My wife/girlfriend/sister/daughter/etc. saw me playing it, tried it and got hooked." It's kind of natural for boys to be attracted to a game of CoH's content but a game with this much potential to make gamers out of girls who never had an interest in video games deserves more credit than it has received. That was the story of the person I miss most in the world. She had no interest in video games until she saw her brother playing City of Heroes. He and I didn't see eye to eye on a number of things but I'll always be eternally grateful to him for having purchased his copy of City of Heroes(sigh, I'm going off on a tangent). Okay, the PvP needed work but the bottom line is CoH has pretty much everything one could want in a game.

According to Wikipedia:

"As with book publishers or publishers of DVD movies, video game publishers are responsible for their product's manufacturing and marketing, including market research and all aspects of advertising."

I believe the number of missed opportunities for NCSoft to have promoted City of Heroes are countless.

I don't believe for even one second that CoH's shutdown was a result of current sales numbers but if at any point NCSoft was dissatisfied with CoH's performance; it can only be attributed to NCSoft's own ineptitude.

Arenanet seems to have recognized NCSoft's inability to find its own ass and outsourced the task of promoting that game that doesn't deserve my hatred but has it anyway(I recognize that my ire towards Anet is unfair and I'm somewhat ashamed of the hatred I possess in their regard but the fact of the matter is that, for the loss of the life that is no longer open to me and their involvement in that, I simply can never forgive Guild Wars 2 for existing).

I believe now more than ever that the people running NCSoft have absolutely no idea how to manage a company and any success that has come their way has been nothing more than the result of luck and fortunate circumstances.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #1732 on: February 19, 2013, 07:27:32 AM »
There's no reason CoH couldn't have taken a bigger chunk out of WoW's playerbase, that game has nothing going for it except addictive gameplay(for some).

WoW has the best boss design of any MMO I've played so far.  They tune the encounters really well, and there's lots to keep in mind when fighting them.  Especially the raid bosses.  Unfortunately, getting to the point where you fight the interesting stuff takes a while.  And the amount of time required to gear up for raids was pretty insane.  I liked learning raid fights, but not farming the gear from fights we already did so we could take on the new ones.

I know we're here because we love CoH and want to see it return, but saying WoW has nothing is just wrong.  (Haven't played since about midway cata though, guild died and I was sick of raiding)

CoH was definitely the best at letting you look/play how you want though, and that's why I always came back to it.

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1733 on: February 19, 2013, 07:32:56 AM »
My statement that WoW has nothing going for it is not my own opinion. It didn't interest me enough to look into it past the first few minutes. I'm quoting someone who loved the game and played it for 5 years, a video game store manager who played pretty much every product he sold. He didn't really try City of Heroes, he used up a free trial during a couple of weeks that he didn't have a lot of time and even he recognized CoH to be superior to WoW in general.

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1734 on: February 19, 2013, 08:37:26 AM »
I'm thinking I should elaborate a little. It's not that WoW has "nothing!"; it has loads of content, a gigantic world, nice graphics and a well composed score and as I mentioned, addictive gameplay. I believe your boss encounters fall under the umbrella of that.

All I ever hear about WoW though is how much the community outright sucks, the monetary system is a pain and you can't get anywhere without gear. A big non-selling point is that if you aren't of a certain level or don't have certain gear, you're kind of ostracized. My friend continually brought up mention that if his friends outleveled him he basically didn't have anyone to play with. He's not a novice to video games so I trust his judgement. I don't believe CoH ever truly suffered from any of these, even with the old sidekick system. A properly built toon driven by a skilled player could handle themselves just fine operating with only Single Origin enhancements even today. Money was not an absolute necessity nor was it particularly difficult to come by, in many instances thanks to very generous other players. As for the community, you guys don't need me to praise and gush all over you, you guys already know how awesome you are.

But anyways, all this is very much beside my earlier point;

NCSoft sucks.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1735 on: February 19, 2013, 09:56:39 AM »
I liked learning raid fights, but not farming the gear from fights we already did so we could take on the new ones.

Pretty much where I fall with WoW too.  I just can't invest that much time into a game for just raiding.  I love raiding but the operant conditioning to get the raiding gear just doesn't cut it for me.

CoH had a great casual friendliness to it that if you wanted to take further you could.  I really enjoyed the end-game system set up in the later life of CoH.  Challenging but doable, took team work but not the tight scheduling or raid guilds other games like WoW or Rift require to get a raid going, all you needed was RWZ :)

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1736 on: February 19, 2013, 01:08:27 PM »
If they get free, I'll have to send NCsoft a sympathy letter.

"Sorry you lost your game."

Yep..... grinning evilly, even as I signed with a flourish. Because: Machiavelli.  8)

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1737 on: February 19, 2013, 03:14:50 PM »
Oh, I wasn't dismissing the possibility that he was in South America, was just saying his name sounds Italian. Wondered if that's his origin. I had never heard anything in regards to his location myself.
Ah, a related but tangential thought that popped into your head. I see. :)

I maintain that NCSoft thoroughly failed City of Heroes as a publisher and I believe the game still had a lot of untapped market potential. For a game that was nearly a decade old, whose general enjoyment factor completely dwarfs anything else in my game library(it's not a small library), the general public's knowledge of City of Heroes existence is obscure at the very best. FatherXmas has already said I wasn't going to get my CoH tv spots but I can't be convinced that it was outside of NCSoft's budget to have a short commercial made for every Issue and I firmly believe they would have had a return on such an investment.
You know, if they had any clue what they were doing, that is.

It may have been outside of Paragon Studios budget but we now know that, next to their sibling subsidiaries, they received the bare bones minimum of support.

There's no reason CoH couldn't have taken a bigger chunk out of WoW's playerbase, that game has nothing going for it except addictive gameplay(for some). I tried World of Warcraft twice. Once back in 2006, before I was set in my CoH ways, I rolled a character and played for all of 7 minutes until I was struck with the most overwhelming sensation to go play outside because life is too short. Fortunately it went away once I logged in to City of Heroes and I assured my family that an ambulance was unnecessary. I tried it again this past December. While searching for something to take my mind off of how much I miss someone, I came across the copy of WoW I received as a gift and realised I had never actually used the free month that came with it, I recalled that I tried the game using a friend's account. I once again put myself through that laughable excuse for a character creator and upon popping out the other side in the middle of a crowd of 9 other players that looked almost exactly like me, I logged out and uninstalled the game immediately with no regrets. I'm certain I'm not the only person that experienced something along these lines and yet the name World of Warcraft is recognized today by even the most game illiterate person. CoH; not so much.

There's another franchise CoH could easily have taken a bite out of and not just any franchise, the one that can boast having the best selling pc game of all time; The Sims. Between CoH's character creator and base builder, there's no reason CoH shouldn't have enjoyed a fair amount of crossover from that playerbase, especially after The Sims Online was shutdown.

The thing about City of Heroes is, even though it, at first glance, appears to be a niche game that mainly caters to superhero enthusiasts and MMO players, its accessibility goes FAR beyond most any game out there. I cannot count the number of times I encountered an instance of "My wife/girlfriend/sister/daughter/etc. saw me playing it, tried it and got hooked." It's kind of natural for boys to be attracted to a game of CoH's content but a game with this much potential to make gamers out of girls who never had an interest in video games deserves more credit than it has received. That was the story of the person I miss most in the world. She had no interest in video games until she saw her brother playing City of Heroes. He and I didn't see eye to eye on a number of things but I'll always be eternally grateful to him for having purchased his copy of City of Heroes(sigh, I'm going off on a tangent). Okay, the PvP needed work but the bottom line is CoH has pretty much everything one could want in a game.

According to Wikipedia:

"As with book publishers or publishers of DVD movies, video game publishers are responsible for their product's manufacturing and marketing, including market research and all aspects of advertising."

I believe the number of missed opportunities for NCSoft to have promoted City of Heroes are countless.

I don't believe for even one second that CoH's shutdown was a result of current sales numbers but if at any point NCSoft was dissatisfied with CoH's performance; it can only be attributed to NCSoft's own ineptitude.

Arenanet seems to have recognized NCSoft's inability to find its own ass and outsourced the task of promoting that game that doesn't deserve my hatred but has it anyway(I recognize that my ire towards Anet is unfair and I'm somewhat ashamed of the hatred I possess in their regard but the fact of the matter is that, for the loss of the life that is no longer open to me and their involvement in that, I simply can never forgive Guild Wars 2 for existing).

I believe now more than ever that the people running NCSoft have absolutely no idea how to manage a company and any success that has come their way has been nothing more than the result of luck and fortunate circumstances.
I agree. NCSoft missed 99.99999999999999999% of all advertizing opportunities for CoH.

I tried WoW not too long before Mist of Pandaria came out. Mainly, to help a friend get a mount. I think I managed level 7 before I stopped playing.
There are very few Fantasy based games that I will play because most of them are, pretty much, the same.
I do enjoy the Elder Scrolls series of games though. Only problem is, there are a few I can't play because my computer is too good.  :o

I tried Guild Wars several years ago. It just didn't grab my interest. I haven't even looked at Guild Wars 2 because I had no interest in the original. Plus, I have zero trust in NCSoft. If Arenanet can pull away from NCSoft, then I wish the GW franchise well. Although, I still would not be interested in playing it.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #1738 on: February 19, 2013, 10:21:22 PM »
I'm curious about the use of niche to describe a superhero themed game.  I know that the vast majority of MMOs are fantasy based, but when I think of pop culture I think more people are into superheroes than fantasy.  Judging by movies, cartoons, TV shows, at any rate.  If you were to ask the average Joe on the street if he likes Batman or Aragorn more, I'd wager Batman wins hands down.  So based on that, it would seem fantasy genre is more niche than superhero and thus have lower playerbase potential for an MMO.  Superhero games are an untapped area I think.  Their main hold up is that Marvel and DC hold all the copyrights and probably will sue whoever starts a hero game. 

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1739 on: February 19, 2013, 11:10:41 PM »
Me personally, I like to play good games not something Genre specific. I thought that CoH while it was a "superhero" themed game, offered quite a bit of flexability on what one could create. The big thing that sold me on CoH was no loot. While the Fantasy type MMO it often all about loot.