Author Topic: Call to Action: Contact NCsoft Directly  (Read 63375 times)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
Re: Call to Action: Contact NCsoft Directly
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2012, 11:53:33 PM »
Ooh, now that's a good idea. Filtering the emails would have been much betters.

Then again, they could just set TonyV's email to spam, and ignore every single one...
I too like this idea.  He could also entrust the emails to a few of the admins (Codewalker, eabrace, etc) so that way the won't be so easily blocked.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2012, 11:56:28 PM »
I have sent the email, specifically citing NCSoft's Corporate Mission, Format and Spirit, and how the lack of a company statement goes against their positions.

In any event, I suspect most of our emails won't go through; that is, they aren't likely to be read. But, couldn't hurt to try.

I did wait a couple of hours before I sent it, made sure I was as brief as I could be, polite and respectful.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

laufeyjarson

• Boss
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2012, 11:57:28 PM »
I'm going to trust Tony's judgement on this one.  There's been too much silence on things that the company should have easy answers to.  Maybe it means something and maybe it doesn't.  They can tell us.

As far as e-mail... these are not personal addresses.  These are all @ncsoft.com.  These are work addresses.  This is part of their work.  This is an appropriate use of these addresses.

If they are truly deluged, they'll just change the address.  We should use them while they work.

I think we've been treated badly.  The November 30th date isn't in the official shutdown notice on the site.  There's been no in-game notice.  There will be players surprised by this.  There's no reason for that - this should be in the MOTD when you log in.  There's no reason for there to be no process defined for refunds.  Their support team should have those answers.  They aren't telling their own staff the things they need to know to answer our very reasonable questions.

That being said, please do be polite and respectful.  We have a serious question, and they have an appropriate way to provide us with information and answers to our questions - they have customer service representatives to post on the CoH forums.  The CSRs have nothing, and NCSoft can fix that.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2012, 12:06:51 AM »
I too like this idea.  He could also entrust the emails to a few of the admins (Codewalker, eabrace, etc) so that way the won't be so easily blocked.

I can't speak for Tony, as he's been a little reclusive the last few days (deluged with other responsibilities I think), but IMO the issue with that is that for such a tactic to be effective, it has to happen fast. The timing has to be right so that they get these right around the same time the capes, masks, and physical letters are starting to arrive in the postal mail, and so that they get a lot -- thousands of them -- at once. Even with all of us filtering nonstop, we could at best get through a few hundred a day, and I don't think it would have the same effect.

Yes, some will be negative, and that's a risk. However these people work in the gaming industry. Surely they are no stranger to trolls and know how to deal with them. I'd really like for them to look at the list of incoming messages and think to themselves, "Wow, these people must really care about this game. Look at how many positive messages there are, compared to all the nerdraging we got when we shut down game X! This might be different."

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2012, 12:51:55 AM »

Who are we kidding?  The trolls have had those email addresses since Aug 31st, and already got the spamming out of their systems!  :)

Please try to be positive and encouraging when emailing any of those addresses.  If they are to avoid reading their email, it should be because we're making such a heartbreaking appeal, rather than out of irritation.

Also one more thing to consider:  It looks like it's a family-founded company.  That means they likely discuss things with each other away from work.  Give them something positive to remember, and to discuss.  Even if they laugh at us, they still remember!  The important thing is to keep us CoH players at the top of their minds.  It's like advertising.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2012, 12:52:09 AM »
"I would suggest 'He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.'"

And I prefer Acquinas. "And he who witnesses injustice having power to prevent, and does naught, he shares in the sin."

Folks, I sent e-mails and physical letters. In both cases I explicitly compared our campaign to the "Save Star Trek" letter campaign of 1968. Why? Because Star Trek, once so fragile, is now Paramount Studios' tentpole franchise. And I told NC-Soft that, if they only have the vision, City of Heroes could potentially become their tentpole. And I meant it.

I urge you to look up the history of that campaign, notice the similarities, and act accordingly. History does repeat itself.

http://io9.com/5795505/the-grassroots-star-trek-campaign-that-saved-the-series

LexiVega

• Underling
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2012, 12:59:57 AM »
I have been noticing an assortment of posts the last few days pointing to the lack of response from NCSOFT.  While all of us would love dearly to know what they're thinking and whether or not we're making any inroads, the reality is they are a large corporation, with accountabilities to their business needs and those of their shareholders. Whatever decision they reach as a result of our efforts or those working behind closed doors will simply not happen in a expedient fashion. If they are courting investors, then silence on their part is the best strategy.

I do support writing positive emails, but caution folks not to get their hopes too high when it comes to hearing something from NCSOFT. For them this is business and while I hope those emails demonstrate what a valueable asset they have their hands on, I really hope it doesn't put it out of reach for potential investors should they be willing to part with it.

Lex

Justaris

• Underling
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2012, 01:25:52 AM »
"I would suggest 'He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.'"

And I prefer Acquinas. "And he who witnesses injustice having power to prevent, and does naught, he shares in the sin."

Folks, I sent e-mails and physical letters. In both cases I explicitly compared our campaign to the "Save Star Trek" letter campaign of 1968. Why? Because Star Trek, once so fragile, is now Paramount Studios' tentpole franchise. And I told NC-Soft that, if they only have the vision, City of Heroes could potentially become their tentpole. And I meant it.

I urge you to look up the history of that campaign, notice the similarities, and act accordingly. History does repeat itself.

I mentioned the quote because Leonardo da Vinci said it, and NCSoft's CEO appears to be an admirer of the man.

Excellent analogy to the Star Trek campaign, I hope we can be as successful.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:06:27 AM by Justaris »

Justaris

• Underling
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2012, 01:35:40 AM »
Just sent off my email.     I'll copy the text of it here.   I've also purchased a cape to be sent to NCSoft Seattle.   

To Mr. Taek-Jin Kim, Dr. Song-Yee Yoon and Mr. Dong-Il Kim:

I am writing to you today regarding your regrettable decision to shut down the online game City of Heroes and with it the subsidiary company Paragon Studios.  I am writing as a longtime subscriber and avid player of this game and one of the many who make up this unique community within the world of online games.   This community has been a point of pride for this studio and for us, the players of this game, for many years.   We are dedicated and loyal supporters of this product and of these people.  I hope that you will reconsider this decision.   I have always been very pleased with my interactions with NCSoft in the past and have maintained an uninterrupted subscription to City of Heroes for over seven years, in addition to purchasing additional products and services on a regular basis.   

Like many in the City of Heroes community I am an adult and a working professional, so I most certainly understand the realities of business must sometimes necessitate hard choices.   I would like to briefly draw your attention to just a few key points.   Firstly, as activity on the part of players since the announcement was made will no doubt attest, this is a tight-knit community.   We have been vocal in our disappointment at this decision, and we would be equally vocal in our praise should you choose to decide favorably on our behalf.   Second, while City of Heroes may not fit into the new strategic long-term vision for NCSoft, it can still be a valuable asset for NCSoft while at the same time generating goodwill amongst the greater online community for high-profile releases such as Guild Wars 2.   The coverage of and the reaction to the decision to close down City of Heroes can be safely said to be unprecedented in the history of MMO game closures.   This could be a negative for your company, but it could just as easily be a positive.   This could be your chance to demonstrate in a real and meaningful way that your company cares about the welfare of its most loyal western customers and wishes to be a responsible force in the larger world of games.    Your actions, whatever they may be, will be remembered by the gaming community long after these current negotiations come to a close.

On a more private note, this game is one of the few diversions I allow myself.   My professional life is extremely demanding, but with the help of a group of close friends nearly all of whom I met via the game itself, we have set up a regular schedule which allows me and the other busy professionals within the group to play on a regular basis with one another.   It is a community unlike any I have seen in an online game before and one I doubt I will easily find again.   I am currently dating a woman living in another city and the majority of our contact each week is via playtime in City of Heroes, as she is herself a busy professional as a university professor.   I introduced her to the game and she has herself been an active subscriber to the game for the past several years.   The prospect of the loss of this game is frankly devastating to me on a personal level.   

I firmly believe that NCSoft can generate positive press not just from the City of Heroes community but also from millions of other gamers who have been following this story since coverage of it began in the larger gaming media following the closure announcement weeks ago.   If this closure proceeds as planned, this would be the fifth NCSoft title on the western market to be pulled in recent memory, following in the footsteps of Dungeon Runners, Auto Assault, Exteel, and Tabula Rasa.  This creates a negative impression for the wider gaming audience.   We will be reluctant to invest ourselves in future NCSoft massive multiplayer online game titles if we believe they too may be shut down abruptly.   I do not believe this is the perception you wish to promote so close to the launch of a major new NCSoft game title, and I hope you will seriously consider taking action to preserve this great game.   Once, years ago, you bought this property from Cryptic Studios and invested in it.   You must have believed in this project at one time.   I only ask that you honor the great accomplishment you have built, the game that I and hundreds of thousands of other players enjoy on a daily basis. 

I understand that negotiations on this matter are ongoing and there are of course facts and variables to which I am not privy.   Even so, I speak as one of your current customers.   I have been your loyal customer for over seven years.   I have faith that the company which produced and supported this unique game for so many years will find a way to support it one more time, for the benefit and profit of all involved.   Thank you.

With great respect,

Dr. Joel Robinson
Physician, Avid Gamer
@Justaris in City of Heroes

TomFury

• Underling
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2012, 03:57:07 AM »
Done.  I kept it short and to the point.

"Mr. __________,

I am writing to you in regards to NCSoft's decisions to sunset the massive multiplayer online game City of Heroes/Villains and dissolve Paragon Studios.  As a subscriber of over 8 years and a current player of this game, I hope that you will reconsider.   I have long been an admirer of NCSoft's products and have been delighted with your investment in a form of entertainment that I have long enjoyed.

I am not a business professional, and I will not venture any assumptions as to the causes for the closure of City of Heroes/Villains and Paragon.   I would, however, like to reiterate a viewpoint I believe I am not alone in possessing: City of Heroes/Villains is a unique game unlike anything else on the market today.  With its termination, I will have no satisfactory alternative for it.  I would like to continue playing the game, preferably with at least some of the talent that was employed at Paragon Studios.  While I understand that this may not be possible, I would be disappointed to lose such a fantastic digital playground, particularly one which has shown such impressive capacity for positive evolution.

Thank you, both in advance for your consideration and for the years of pleasure I have taken in your City of Heroes/Villains product line.

Sincerely,
___________"

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2012, 04:07:46 AM »
Very nice email :)

Done.  I kept it short and to the point.

"Mr. __________,

I am writing to you in regards to NCSoft's decisions to sunset the massive multiplayer online game City of Heroes/Villains and dissolve Paragon Studios.  As a subscriber of over 8 years and a current player of this game, I hope that you will reconsider.   I have long been an admirer of NCSoft's products and have been delighted with your investment in a form of entertainment that I have long enjoyed.

I am not a business professional, and I will not venture any assumptions as to the causes for the closure of City of Heroes/Villains and Paragon.   I would, however, like to reiterate a viewpoint I believe I am not alone in possessing: City of Heroes/Villains is a unique game unlike anything else on the market today.  With its termination, I will have no satisfactory alternative for it.  I would like to continue playing the game, preferably with at least some of the talent that was employed at Paragon Studios.  While I understand that this may not be possible, I would be disappointed to lose such a fantastic digital playground, particularly one which has shown such impressive capacity for positive evolution.

Thank you, both in advance for your consideration and for the years of pleasure I have taken in your City of Heroes/Villains product line.

Sincerely,
___________"

Myriade

« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2012, 07:45:34 AM »
Should I or should I not?

Of course I should.

Why?

1-) For the people (like me-but I would be rated as an extremist down here) who think we've been too soft sending long letters that takes ages to go (and i still haven't got my registered receipt back!) to Korea and for those who can't pay the price of a registered letter to Korea, emails are cheaper, easier. This new action allow those people to join the dance and the fight.

2-) People who think it's a bad idea because of the possible use by trolls : it's another reason to counter and outnumber the trolls! Write your most beautiful and respectful letter! Not writing your beautiful letter = letting the trolls have their words up.

3-) For those who think it may cause problems to negociations : showing our love and support to this great game can't cause a problem if there are negociations. Cause if there are negociations, that means NCsoft is interested in selling the rights. If there is a negociation at this stage, it's probably motived by money and business. Not by letters. Even though letters and family action is good to help the hand that could sell the game.

4-) For those who say it is over already : doing nothing is accepting it.

So where are the bad reasons to do what Tony says? Follow your Leader. He proved his worthyness. If he says after much thinking that it's the next option, trust him. He's not a 4 year old kid who wants his toy and nags here and there. Neither are we. Trust the good sense of the community. Follow Tony "Stasteman" V. Unity is strength.

So it shall be written so it shall be done.

Empyrean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2012, 01:58:29 PM »

Awesome point, and one that I have felt since the beginning.  A well developed, well backed City of Heroes/Villians 2 would be HUGE, with our whole loyal community there for the backbone, the people who have played CoX 1 on and off over the years coming over to check it out, and the "gamers" coming to see what the latest thing is about.  Unless they REALLY botched it (and some think that they really botched the first Star Trek movie, so maybe even if they do...), it would OWN the Superhero MMO marked for years to come.

Honestly, business-wise, I don't understand how they don't see it.  NCsoft or whoever has the CoX IP could OWN the Superhero MMO niche with a CoX 2.  Just own it.  While the Superhero MMO market isn't huge, absolutely OWNING the entire niche is.

Aaaaaaaaaaand emails sent politely saying so.  Plus telling them about my son growing up on City of Heroes with me for a tug at the heart strings...

CoX 2 is the dream that makes me smile at night sometimes...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 02:07:19 PM by Empyrean »

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »
I sent my emails off today.

I was polite, reasonably short, and just drew their attention to the 100+ articles we've had backing the 'save campaign', pointed out that it was a bit of a PR nightmare as NC Soft was getting dragged through the mill by the gaming press in the wake of a polite, respectful 'save' campaign with high-profile celeb support that couldn't be more of a media wet-dream if it tried (really: Superheroes trying to save the world, no wonder the press are all over this) .

I urged them to engage with the games community, investors and other publishers to keep the game open. I included links to articles, the petition, the youtube channels , VV's webpage, and the Twitter #SaveCoH feed so they could see I wasn't making it up and I headed my email: Public relations issue.

I also pointed out their company mission statement is to 'do the right thing' and to 'make everyone on earth happier' and that simply pulling the plug on the game flew in the face of that.

Here's hoping it helps.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 02:35:58 PM by rae »
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Horror-Frost

• Underling
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2012, 02:44:42 PM »
Something to consider when writing...

A good point to drive home is that Saving CoX isn't just in our interest, but can be in the interest of NC Soft. Paragon's been our home for years, but we should emphasize that if NC Soft saves this game, it will continue to be. And that we will remain its' customers. Otherwise, we probably won't move on to other NC Soft titles. But write it not as a threat, but an incentive.

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2012, 04:26:47 PM »
"NCsoft or whoever has the CoX IP could OWN the Superhero MMO niche with a CoX 2."

While I don't know the MMO market well enough to agree or disagree. I do believe that Hollywood's box office this year was owned by The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, and Spider-Man. Had Time Warner and Magazine Management Co. given up on marginally profitable superhero comic books, they would never have enjoyed the earnings from these titanically profitable films.

(Heck, considering Lucas and Kasden plagiarized Jack Kirby's New Gods, the Star Wars franchise wouldn't exist either.)

But yes, you get it. We didn't see this sort of response to the cancellation of other MMOs. Fanatical customer loyalty like this means City of Heroes has the potential to become a mega-franchise, provided somebody in the corporate world will think beyond the next quarterly stock meeting and show some long-term vision.

Let me say this again: NC-Soft owns a superhero franchise with a loyal fanbase, and superheroes dominated this summer's Hollywood box office. So they're canceling this franchise? Was I a stockholder, I'd be calling for the top execs to step down on that basis alone!

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2012, 04:51:02 PM »
I have said this on the regular forums - but if everyone were to buy one share of NCSoft - we'd all have 1 vote. Mind you, the stock is pricy, and we likely wouldn't have enough votes. But, still...
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Mindscythe

• Lieutenant
  • "Any world is what you make of it."
    • SoR Radio
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2012, 05:16:24 PM »
I tried a slightly different angle. I have no idea if it'll work, if anyone will read it, but it was worth a try.

Greetings,

I am writing to beseech your support for the City of Heroes community's efforts to not lose their world. And I do not use that word lightly, for it is a world, albeit a virtual one, that I am referring to.

I am a Professor in the School of Broadcast and Cinematic Arts at Central Michigan University in the USA. My field of specialty is virtual identity, culture, and community. The City of Heroes community is truly unique when compared to all other virtual communities based around Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games. I have studied them extensively (WoW, LotRO, SWTOR, Champions, AoC, EQ, DCUO, EQ2), and none of the other game-based communities show the cohesiveness, the compassion, the genuine interest and caring, and the sense of honor, that the CoH community does. This is evident when one looks at everything the community has done in an effort to find a way for City of Heroes to continue.

Each semester, I bring students into CoH for a week-long exercise in virtual identity and community, and every semester there are those who stay and become paying players. I intend to continue this practice as long as I am able, for I wouldn't feel as positive about sending them into any other setting. In all of the other games previously mentioned, dozens of new players coming in at once would be ignored or ridiculed. In City of Heroes, they are greeted warmly, they are offered assistance, they have their questions answered, and they are given a very positive view of becoming part of an online community. As someone who has spent decades seeking to dispel the stereotype of gamers as callow, insensitive, and socially awkward, this exposure to a functional, prosperous online community is extremely important!

I also, of course, have personal reasons to wish to see City of Heroes continue on in some form. I have been a paying subscriber since August of 2004, adding a second paid account in 2008. City of Heroes is my home, a place where I can connect with friends no matter where in the world my travels take me. I have made life-long friends from my participation in the community, and enjoyed thousands of hours of gameplay. Both the game itself and the community have been such an integral part of my life for so long, I simply cannot imagine my life without knowing I can duck into Paragon for some much-needed stress relief with friends I never would have met were it not for City of Heroes!

If there is anything you can do to aid in the efforts to, somehow, continue City of Heroes, there are hundreds of thousands of individuals around the world who would be so very grateful, myself included.

Thank you for your time, your patience, and your understanding.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey S. Smith, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Internship Coordinator
School of Broadcast & Cinematic Arts
"Radio... Radio... RADIO FREE OPPORTUNITY!"

http://www.profj.org/theradiospeaks/

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2012, 05:19:59 PM »
Very nice email Professor :)
Here is hoping someone at NCSoft reads it and it makes them pause just for a moment :)

I tried a slightly different angle. I have no idea if it'll work, if anyone will read it, but it was worth a try.

Greetings,

I am writing to beseech your support for the City of Heroes community's efforts to not lose their world. And I do not use that word lightly, for it is a world, albeit a virtual one, that I am referring to.

I am a Professor in the School of Broadcast and Cinematic Arts at Central Michigan University in the USA. My field of specialty is virtual identity, culture, and community. The City of Heroes community is truly unique when compared to all other virtual communities based around Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games. I have studied them extensively (WoW, LotRO, SWTOR, Champions, AoC, EQ, DCUO, EQ2), and none of the other game-based communities show the cohesiveness, the compassion, the genuine interest and caring, and the sense of honor, that the CoH community does. This is evident when one looks at everything the community has done in an effort to find a way for City of Heroes to continue.

Each semester, I bring students into CoH for a week-long exercise in virtual identity and community, and every semester there are those who stay and become paying players. I intend to continue this practice as long as I am able, for I wouldn't feel as positive about sending them into any other setting. In all of the other games previously mentioned, dozens of new players coming in at once would be ignored or ridiculed. In City of Heroes, they are greeted warmly, they are offered assistance, they have their questions answered, and they are given a very positive view of becoming part of an online community. As someone who has spent decades seeking to dispel the stereotype of gamers as callow, insensitive, and socially awkward, this exposure to a functional, prosperous online community is extremely important!

I also, of course, have personal reasons to wish to see City of Heroes continue on in some form. I have been a paying subscriber since August of 2004, adding a second paid account in 2008. City of Heroes is my home, a place where I can connect with friends no matter where in the world my travels take me. I have made life-long friends from my participation in the community, and enjoyed thousands of hours of gameplay. Both the game itself and the community have been such an integral part of my life for so long, I simply cannot imagine my life without knowing I can duck into Paragon for some much-needed stress relief with friends I never would have met were it not for City of Heroes!

If there is anything you can do to aid in the efforts to, somehow, continue City of Heroes, there are hundreds of thousands of individuals around the world who would be so very grateful, myself included.

Thank you for your time, your patience, and your understanding.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey S. Smith, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Internship Coordinator
School of Broadcast & Cinematic Arts

Captain Paragon

• Underling
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2012, 06:52:26 PM »
Here is my email.

Dear Sirs/Madam

I'm sure by now you have received many emails about saving your game City of Heroes. I would just like to express my regard to how much the game means to me. I started playing this game just after leaving secondary school at the age of sixteen. I didn't do well and i wasn't in line for a good job or able to follow a career path in further education because of my poor grades. I remember back then finding a job in a local supermarket and starting my life. I bought a computer and decided i wanted to play computer games on it. Your game city of heroes was the first game i bought and it still sits on my desktop seven years, and three new computers later.

The game means so much to me because, i am not the brightest person but my kindness and caring for other people didn't go un-noticed in CoH. I soon made friends in your game and not only did i have fun. But they helped me to grasp the english language better and also learn the basic grasp of manners.

Those people i met are now good friends in my everyday life, and have having them by my side have given me the confidence to go back to school and get the grades that i missed out on seven years ago. I started in college just one week ago and my plan was to slowly better myself in life.

Can i just say. This is why the City of Heroes community loves this game we all are friends and feel like a part of my life is being taken away. This game for me was a school of how to treat other people and how to make friends. In the last year or so. My girlfriend has moved away to go to university, Her and I play the game nearly every night she was away last school year and i know this letter is not just from me but her as well.

I would like to thank you if you have at all read through some of our letters or maybe even this one. Can i leave you with my eternal hope that you do the right thing or at least try to do it. Just one message i would please leave you with.

HAD I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet,
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams

W.B. Yeats

Thanks for your time

Yours Faithfully

Captain Paragon