Author Topic: I Love A Parade...  (Read 2513 times)

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
I Love A Parade...
« on: September 12, 2012, 06:43:49 AM »
Not my own idea... Doc Blast posted this on the CoH Forums: http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=297226

And, to me, the idea of doing a rally in motion - aka a parade - is an awesome idea!!

I commented on the potential problems of it in the original thread, but I really would like to help make this happen.

I'm about to go to sleep, but I figured I would just pass this on right now.

The idea of our heroes slowly marching down the streets, through AP, SC, PI... I love it.
It'll take some crazy coordination and certainly could be a chaotic mess... but... if we work it out and execute it well enough, I think it could be amazing.

Anyway, at the very least, it's another slant on a unity rally that we can use at some point. I do love the idea of touring the city with our rally of unity and love for the game and the people behind it.

:)
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
Re: I Love A Parade...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 07:10:45 AM »
I thought it was an excellent idea... definitely some logistical issues with it, but it should be doable.

I might even transfer my main over there for a bit to don a States-inspired costume... assuming it happens on Virtue that is.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 07:16:11 AM »
A parade popped into my head during the rally too.

Technically though, it's not an easy thing to pull off. And unlike the Atlas vigil, I'm not really sure who we'd be parading to since there isn't much in the way of player gatherings anywhere besides AP and Pocket D, so we're not likely to get much visibility. And we're bound to get randomly split up into instances (which may not necessarily be bad, if the intention is to have 33 of every zone  ;) ).

Finally, the lag. I've been in attempted parades in SWG in the past, and it's a mess. You can manage a protest-style march with a crowd, but if you're hoping to get everyone into pretty straight lines, it's not gonna happen.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 08:49:43 PM »
We used to do this for CCCP and the only way we could manage it was a single-file parade with each toon in line on "Follow" to the one in front.  At some point though, it gets messy, and people start getting stuck on landscape.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Tiberian Fiend

• Minion
  • Canis tiberius
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 03:14:40 AM »
We're superheroes.  We should have a FLYING parade.  Might involve group flight.
The Titantic Tiberian Fiend

Plinkyplonk

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 06:20:54 AM »
OOh! I like this idea. As many heroes as possible walking around AP etc. Single file not necessary really, just a massive attendance. I will be watching this develop in the hope it gets organised.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 04:58:36 PM »
Would it have more "punch" on a less-traveled server?  If suddenly (help me out, here) Infinity was three red dots...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 05:58:37 PM »
It's a pity there's such a hard limit on the number of toons that can fit in an instance. How cool it would be to actually spell out Paragon like in Leandro's video, or form a huge frigging circle around the Atlas statue.

Plinkyplonk

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 08:53:17 PM »
It's a pity there's such a hard limit on the number of toons that can fit in an instance. How cool it would be to actually spell out Paragon like in Leandro's video, or form a huge frigging circle around the Atlas statue.

Maybe the population limit could be increased if 'power suppression' was instigated for the particular map a parade was organised for?

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 08:54:47 PM »
Maybe the population limit could be increased if 'power suppression' was instigated for the particular map a parade was organised for?
Use of the Walk power, possible?

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 11:02:14 PM »
Here's an idea - a simultaneous parade on all servers. Or if you really want to be fun, start it at a certain time on Virtue, then 15 minutes later on Freedom, 15 minutes after that another server. That way you'd end up with a 4 hour celebration spanning all servers.

Viridian Surge

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 11:27:45 PM »
That's a cool idea, The_Hunter_JLJ

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 11:43:41 PM »
Great idea!

/signed
- Omega Mk. V

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 12:50:09 AM »
i like i too

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 02:41:13 AM »
Reminds me of one of my sayings.

Hunter's Hundred Eighty-Sixth Rule: If you look back and there's folks behind you, you're either a leader or about to get mugged. Not that there's much difference.

;)

Here's a couple more thoughts. Set the date for something like this a couple weeks out. Formally invite the Supergroups and other "leadership" of each server to get together to organize their server's pageant. Make sure some effort is made to demorecord each parade - multiple "cameramen" would be best.

And finally, issue a formal request that any devs or former devs who wish to participate be included as "marshal" - a different one on each server if possible. If they can't arrange to be there, at the very least this would give a great use for those "real life developer" costumes people did for the Unity rally. My thought here is that we should make this a parade / pageant that celebrates the accomplishments of the community over the past 8 years.

We shouldn't do any judging, though having CC after the parades which ARE judged would be appropriate. The notion is that this is not a competition between the servers, but a community wide event where everyone is asked to show their pride in what we've built. The final darkness may (or may not) be looming, but we still all have a lot to be proud of. Kind of a Paragon City Thanksgiving Day Parade.... (wink). Not that I am suggesting waiting that long, of course.