Author Topic: Can I return to CoH ?  (Read 8099 times)

Xperiment

• Underling
Can I return to CoH ?
« on: September 14, 2012, 01:01:41 PM »
Hello, I played COH/V back in 2004-06? I left before Going Rogue. I havent been an active player in years but dont wanna see COH shut down. Can anyone tell me if I can still Download or Patch the game?  I have the box of COH and COV. Can I upgrade to going Rogue?

City of Heroes was my 2nd love affair in MMO. I didnt think a game could ever come out and recapture the magic i felt with DAoC. But CoH was such a breath of fresh air. I'd buy an annual pass or deeply consider a lifetime sub to show my support.

Uggandan Giant (invul/Stone Tank)
Cactus Jack (Spine/Regen Scrapper)
Akeem (Gravity/ FF Controller)

of

Virtue Server

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
Re: Can I return to CoH ?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 01:20:34 PM »
If you can log into your NCSoft master account, it should still be possible to click the "Download Client" link next to the game. What you can't do is reactivate your account so you'll be limited to whatever the f2p features are. I think you get to unlock 1 or 2 characters that use premium content for free since you used to be a subscriber. You'll also be able to create new characters using most of the powersets and not the Mastermind or Controller AT.

Please note that you have to have the NCSoft launcher to patch and launch the game. With NCSoft trying so hard to get us to go away, some people are saying that old versions of the client simply aren't patching. I don't know if that's true or not. Let us know if the master account page doesn't work. Someone linked a different method a while back that I'll try to track down for you if you can't get in this way.

Thanks for showing your support!
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

Aurethious

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 01:59:24 PM »

Uggandan Giant (invul/Stone Tank)
Cactus Jack (Spine/Regen Scrapper)
Akeem (Gravity/ FF Controller)

of

Virtue Server

Kudos to you for going with Akeem and not the obvious choice of One Man Gang. This almost makes me want to make a Slick inspired character named Jive Soul Bro...

Xperiment

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 05:15:18 PM »
lol, I had the One Man Gang Costume as my 2nd swappable choice.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 07:10:47 PM »
I think you get to unlock 1 or 2 characters that use premium content for free since you used to be a subscriber. You'll also be able to create new characters using most of the powersets and not the Mastermind or Controller AT.

I believe it's two characters per account plus slots earned through veteran rewards and those purchased.
And if you played from 04-06 you'll most likely have access to MMs and Controllers thanks to the Paragon Rewards system (I think you need T3 or T4? But the first couple of tiers go very quickly)

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 07:19:49 PM »
Is there a way for him to use our patched files? like send him the whole folder? I don't know if it would be possible force patch or not if he had all the files we do...anyone?

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 08:27:04 PM »
Is there a way for him to use our patched files? like send him the whole folder? I don't know if it would be possible force patch or not if he had all the files we do...anyone?

That would work if it's necessary I believe. It might do a "repair" but that would still work as far as I know.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 08:31:41 PM »
That would work if it's necessary I believe. It might do a "repair" but that would still work as far as I know.
When I used to "install" CoH at work I always copied over my entire folder and it worked without having to do anything more than that.
Of course that was pre-Freedom... worth a shot though!

SkyStreak

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 08:38:13 PM »
By the way, I just verified that retail codes can be applied to Free accounts to bump them up to Premium. 

I made an account for my son a while back and for kicks today, I applied an old serial code from a 'bargain bin' $4.99 disc that I bought years ago.

While it did bump him up to VIP status, it didn't give him any Paragon Points.

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 08:39:56 PM »
can we still use cohtime cards? do they still sell them?

kgiesing

• Minion
  • Mind Forever Burning
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 01:46:58 AM »

Yes, you can, but no they don't.  You can find them on amazon resold.

I ended up buying two copies of GR just for the one-month codes included.  They were actually cheaper than getting a month of game time from NC.  However, be aware that codes can only be applied once per game account - the only reason I bought two was because I have two accounts with characters I want to keep.  I don't know what I'll do when October ends and I run out of VIP time.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 01:49:42 AM »
Yes, you can, but no they don't.  You can find them on amazon resold.

I ended up buying two copies of GR just for the one-month codes included.  They were actually cheaper than getting a month of game time from NC.  However, be aware that codes can only be applied once per game account - the only reason I bought two was because I have two accounts with characters I want to keep.  I don't know what I'll do when October ends and I run out of VIP time.

SO FAR everyone that IS VIP STAYS VIP.  That is the general consensus from everyone I have spoken to.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Lydiastar

• Minion
  • @Syntaxically on twitter
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 06:25:12 AM »
This is all very helpful. Thanks guys.

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 11:04:02 AM »

No. They won't take them.

If you try it, you will get the following response:

"You can't use the supplied serial code.

"The supplied serial code is valid, but can not be used to create a new account and it can not be applied to any accounts you already have."

There was mention of unlocking VIP for all players, but I don't know what the verdict was on that.

As for retail codes I am also not sure what is possible. Both my accounts previously had most retail codes applied. I attempted to apply a City of Villains code and an Architect Edition code, but I'm unsure about the response. The form offered to create an account with the same name and pass as my second NCSoft account but not an option to apply the code(s) to the existing account (the existing game account uses a different name/pass). This could just be the result of already having these retail version codes applied to that account... which I would expect to be the case for most long-time players.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 11:50:51 AM by Mantic »

Xperiment

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 07:51:23 PM »
Hi all, I'm having alot trouble trying to install and get in to my old account. It feels almost as if when they went over to the freedom client they wiped all in active accounts. I use to receive all the news letters and have the confirmation when I canceled my account in my email still. So I know my old account name, But when i do Forgot Password It tells my that my email address is invalid. So I went to make a new account. It wouldnt let me use my old account name so I had to create a new one.

Now I just cant install NClauncher. I get some sort of "need to install in empty directory error" if i let it default to where it wants me to install or i choose where to install it. I guess they dont want anyone new or old jumpoing in the game?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 08:00:07 PM by Xperiment »

FeeFyeFoeFum

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 11:22:44 AM »
Ahoy there guys n gals  :) I find meself in the same boat as Xperiment (who I am sure that I used to run with in CoH), spent 4 wonderful years playing the game, haven't played in a while but would love to come back and experience the city one more time (barring miraculous happenings of course).

The free to play link/launcher on the NCSoft website doesn't appear to be working, can anyone point me another place on the web I can get the launcher from or somewhere/someone I can get a set of patched game files to allow me to get the game to run. Any help much appreciated

Cheers

FeeFye

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 12:19:19 PM »
OK, define "Cancelled." If you just stopped the billing, then the log in should still work on the main NCSoft site.  If you cancelled your account, it's my impression that everything is gone.  There was something early on about freeing up character names after 6 months of inactivity, but I don't think that ever actually came to pass.  I reactivated my account after over a year, and all my character names were still there.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 12:29:36 PM »
OK, define "Cancelled." If you just stopped the billing, then the log in should still work on the main NCSoft site.  If you cancelled your account, it's my impression that everything is gone.  There was something early on about freeing up character names after 6 months of inactivity, but I don't think that ever actually came to pass.  I reactivated my account after over a year, and all my character names were still there.
I think that was in effect when the game was still P2P - and you would only lose them if someone else actually claimed them.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 12:56:11 PM »
The free to play link/launcher on the NCSoft website doesn't appear to be working, can anyone point me another place on the web I can get the launcher from or somewhere/someone I can get a set of patched game files to allow me to get the game to run. Any help much appreciated.
There was some info on grabbing the latest launcher a few days ago being passed around here.  I know we had at least one report of being able to download the launcher and successfully patch via Steam - here.

The NCsoft launcher is still available for download, though there are reports that it's no longer working for Mac users.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Mold

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 01:17:40 PM »
If you want to create a new account with VIP benefits you can purchase a VIP starter kit from gamestop online http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/city-of-heroes-freedomtm-vip-starter-kit/99614. I created a new account with it yesterday. (out of server slots)

FeeFyeFoeFum

• Underling
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 07:00:29 AM »
Got my old account activated, downloaded the game and for the first time in over 3.5 years, was running the streets of Paragon again  :D

Cheers for the pointers in the right direction guys n gals, great to be able to experience the fun that is city of heroes, once again.

FeeFye