Author Topic: Active players still unaware of the shutdown?  (Read 8790 times)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
Re: Active players still unaware of the shutdown?
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 06:22:58 PM »
All I can think of is people collectively screaming at each other over kills in Halo >.< Not something I tend to associate with CoH.

Depends on the game really. Some games attract more easy-going communities than others.

Went to a Descent LAN once. Upstairs was a Quake one. At Descent, we were all ribbing each other and laughing at random misfortune and such.

Upstairs? Every loud thud meant another fist fight had started.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 06:36:37 PM »
I hopped into game today to do the Summer Blockbuster (I missed it when it originally came out), and there are still people who think the shutdown is a "rumor".
Perhaps it'd be a good idea for those that play frequently to share some links (Savecoh, cohtitan and the petition) on LFG & Help every now and then to raise awareness?

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 06:37:55 PM »
Just came across someone in the L4G channel who didn't seem to realise that the shutdown meant he couldn't play after November 30. Bless 'im.

Battle Reaper:  so wait you mean to say that this shutdown that i am hearing about means that...we won tbe able to play the game at all?
Jerrybuilt:  *sigh* Yes.
Dirty Toe:  yes..yes it does.
Jerrybuilt:  Game over, man, game over.
Battle Reaper:  So like...afte ri spent the time and money..i cant even continue to play?
Airdancer:  Everything and everyone gets deleted into nothingness
Battle Reaper:  man..that really sucks...
Sacredstrike:  http://www.savecoh.com/
Battle Reaper:  bes tbetter beleive i signed that petition!!!!
LOL! I should've read your post before posting!
I was doing my part to share there. ^^

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 06:48:41 PM »
Ah, you're sacredstrike? Between globals/twitter and Titan forum accounts I can't keep track of people :D
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 06:54:11 PM »
Ah, you're sacredstrike? Between globals/twitter and Titan forum accounts I can't keep track of people :D
Yep, that'd be one of the many me's! Global's the same as here though.

RedWolfeXR

• Underling
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 05:09:54 PM »
I hadn't logged on for a month or so (probably played a few days before the announcement) and have been busy with a new job plus I had been playing a few offline games.

The only reason that I knew was that there was a posting on the MOTD on the serverwide channel that I monitor.  (Guardian)

The only thing that points to the fact on the launcher is the "Sunset FAQ"

Patribot

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2012, 07:07:28 PM »
EVERY TIME I talk about the shutdown in LFG, Help or Global there is STILL someone who either didn't know about the shutdown at all or doesn't understand what it means. I'm guessing many people just do not pay attention to the Launcher Screen at all. (I know sometimes even I bio and grab a beverage while it's loading.)

I don't know how big a percentage it actually is, but we need to keep getting the word out about this. I'm not suggesting we SPAM the global channels, but we certainly need to step-up to answer people's questions (Gently), make sure they understand that there is a movement to sace the game that they can help with and, if there hasn't been any "SaveCoH" traffic for an hour or more, put something out on the Help Channel regarding it. (Just my two cents worth)

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 07:10:12 PM »
EVERY TIME I talk about the shutdown in LFG, Help or Global there is STILL someone who either didn't know about the shutdown at all or doesn't understand what it means. I'm guessing many people just do not pay attention to the Launcher Screen at all. (I know sometimes even I bio and grab a beverage while it's loading.)

I don't know how big a percentage it actually is, but we need to keep getting the word out about this. I'm not suggesting we SPAM the global channels, but we certainly need to step-up to answer people's questions (Gently), make sure they understand that there is a movement to sace the game that they can help with and, if there hasn't been any "SaveCoH" traffic for an hour or more, put something out on the Help Channel regarding it. (Just my two cents worth)

The splash screen on the Launcher still displays Nature Affinity. Most people skim past the news text below that. There's no active reach out to TELL people that the game is shutting down. Which means that there ARE going to be surprised players come November 30th...which means that they will be ANGRY players.
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Aquashock

• Boss
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2012, 07:17:08 PM »
The fact that there isn't a pop-up when you log in about the shutdown still bothers me. It really showcases how poorly NCSoft planned this.

Blackbird71

• Minion
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 07:27:34 PM »
LAN party?  People still have those.

Are you kidding? My friends and I made our first CoH characters at a LAN party!

freakazoid

• Underling
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2012, 09:27:35 PM »

The vigil bind is fantastic, btw, and that's what people noticed while I was standing vigil ;)

Would you post how to do the vigil bind please? I'd do that on Champion and Pinnacle.
Thanks  :)

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2012, 10:03:56 PM »
I've run into quite a few players who have no idea about the threat to the game - I always send them here to help get them invovled.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Patribot

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2012, 11:38:26 PM »
My Vigil Macro is: maxinactivefps 1$$e HoldTorch$$afk Standing vigil: http://tiny.cc/SaveCoH

So it does these things for me:

1) Reduces the Frames Per Second to 1 so doesn't use much processor clock time or energy while running in the background, but will pop back to normal settings when you have it in the foreground.
2) Has my character lift the iconic torch of the struggle.
3) Pops "Standing vigil: http://tiny.cc/SaveCoH" in a "thought balloon" above my character's head.

Hope that helps.

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 12:03:19 AM »
If you're able to keep a character logged in overnight, create one of those macros and place a link in your profile. It also doesn't hurt to toss savecoh.com in Help or Broadcast, just be mindful now to spam it.
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

Flying Code Monkey

• Underling
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 12:13:47 AM »
The down side: of the persons who still don't realize that City is closing, upon finding out, some substantial percentage of them will shrug, say "oh well, it was fun," and be gone.

I've been astounded by the number of people on Liberty who I thought were pretty hard-core about City, who I just assumed would be running trials or killing Hamidon with me on November 29th because what else would we be doing, who were among the first to bid their fond farewell.  I assumed the desire to finish the last few alts, as with me, would be very strong.  Our trialing population is still sufficient to finish anything, but now we really need to all be online at the same time.

Anyway, it's probably an issue of basic fairness that anyone who doesn't already know deserves to be made aware, and of that group some number might join up to fight the good fight, but don't be surprised if a majority of them are logged out for good a week later.  Unintended consequences, and all.