Author Topic: A Dissent...  (Read 9392 times)

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
Re: A Dissent...
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2012, 08:23:56 AM »
By my maths... that's about 8,400 people (@ $15/month) to break even to this $1.5 million estimation.

B_L_Angel

• Underling
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2012, 06:21:40 PM »
Before you start the dogpile of "BLAH BLAH NAYSAYER EVIL EVIL GO AWAY" get over it. I DO have hands on experience in all the relevant areas one way or another. Sometimes from both sides. So a more complete tearing down of what is feasible and what is not feasible, you will not find. So let's dig in, shall we?

I'd would just like to know who you are, and why I should believe anything you say about intimate knowledge of the game. Much of what you say is plausible some of it I am certain is true but even more of your post consists of things that can't just be accepted without substantiation. CoH uses a custom database ? sounds possible, no way to be sure. The servers run on win 2k ? No way to check it no way to know.

The game doesn't talk DX10 properly ? It better not I play on XP.

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2012, 07:02:58 PM »
One point I haven't seen mentioned in this discussion that I think is worth keeping in mind. *IF* CoH as it currently exists can be kept up and running, that creates a revenue stream for any effort to build a successor game. It also gives a customer base for additional ideas to produce revenue, many of which have floated around for years and been under-utilized.

So even if you think the existing codebase pretty much needs to completely discarded and an entirely new successor designed, securing the current game does have an important point. It is a lot easier to pay the bills while you develop your new release when you have a viable product keeping the lights on.