Author Topic: Testimonials  (Read 45409 times)

CoolFlare

• Underling
Re: Testimonials
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2012, 06:14:10 AM »
This story starts on Sept 1st 2001. My mother just lost her battle with cancer. At the time I was separated from my husband. We were still civil with each other and he helped by keeping our children with him while I made all the arrangements that needed to be done for her cremation and funeral service.

During my grieving I decided I was going to move back to my home town and stay there (which as you all probably know it is a bad idea to make snap decisions when you are doing so.) So I pack up an move 500 miles away. I realize my mistake and decided to move back. Unfortunately I had no place to go to, my husband who I was still separated from is kind enough to open his home to us and let us stay with him.

After a time I get work and move into my own place. A few years pass and I think that I have gotten over my mother's death until one Christmas day we go to dinner with his family (that is how he is...) I go outside to smoke a cig and all of a sudden I am out there crying because I don't have my mother with me for Christmas like I used to. We go home (at this time we decided it would be good to stay in the same place for kids sake) and he gets on the computer. He is playing a game called "City of Villains." I asked him what it was and he showed me. He let me get on his account and make a character of my own.

I liked it and almost bogarted his computer so we made a deal to alternate between the times he is asleep and when I sleep. (He worked nights and i worked during the day)  Then we were invited into a supergroup on Triumph called The Furiosos. It helped me get through my grief for my mother. We had fun playing in a mobster based super group, but finances came up and we had to stop playing the game so we stopped playing for a while.

Then after a few months we realized that what had been dysfunctional in our relationship was that we had nothing to do with our spare time with each other and realized that this game brought us closer to each other.  So we started doing other things together besides the game and decided not to get a divorce.

A couple of years later we see the game in a local bookstore and it was the hero/villain pack and decided to create a new account that we could play. After that we added a second so that we could play at the same time together in our super group that we had left. We met new people and started our own super group which is now know as The Night Crew on Triumph.

When freedom came out our two children were teenagers and wanted to play as well and they created their own accounts and played for a short time. So it is this game that managed to help me with the loss of my mother and gave me back the man that I married.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 08:21:50 AM by CoolFlare »

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2012, 09:04:14 AM »
Gang, the Amazing Fansy the Famous Bard has gotten us a story shot on GameInformer.  He specifically asked for stories like this, and I have collated them and sent them all in 6 emails.

Of course, if you want to send them on your own, here is Fansy's thread:

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5331.20.html

Can't hurt to have a real name as well as the Titan screenname attached.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2012, 09:58:49 AM »
Hi VV,

Which six stories did you send? Don't wanna send mine off if someone already did it :)
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2012, 02:32:45 PM »
Rae, I understand VV to mean she sent them ALL, but she's asking that you go ahead and send YOURS with any additional information you are willing to share. Having VV collect them all up is one thing, being able to talk directly to the person who had those experiences on a personal level is very useful for anyone trying to present their story to the world at large.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2012, 03:20:34 PM »
Gotcha, and done. :)
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Greg Lloyd

• Minion
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
"What makes a man a man? A friend of mine once wondered. Is it his origins? The way he comes to life? I don't think so. It's the choices he makes. Not how he starts things, but how he decides to end them."
----- John Myers, closing narration of "Hellboy"

I ran away from home. I would've been one of those kids on a milk carton, but this was long before that trend emerged. Learning to live on my own made me careful in choosing the people with whom I make relations. This game has given me friends who I would've otherwise never met and I am by nature fiercely loyal to my friends.

Decades later when I took a medical sabbatical after being nearly cut in half and stitched back, this game and my friends kept me company in my long recuperation. When my body rejected the implants holding me together and it all had to come out, followed by another enforced sabbatical, this game and my friends encouraged me to force my body back to working order.

For long weeks I could do very little but play City of Heroes and slowly recover. When a reaction to the anesthesia induced a seizure, dislocated my knee and engendered another round of repairs, this game was my only outlet for movement. I could run, fly, leap without pain. Again I struggled back to full mobility encouraged by my supergroup and my superb friends. Sixteen surgeries in twelve months and missing very little work. I'd come home exhausted and spent, take an emergency nap and get up and game for a couple of hours.

When I was forced to spend six weeks with my wrist in a cast, I spent that time playing a mastermind, with one hand. When I was knifed breaking up a purse-snatching (and nearly fired from my job for interfering) the only ones who thanked me were the cops and my friends in my extended super family.

I bear the scars of a fighter and all the fear was long ago beaten out of me. I choose my friends. I choose my family. I choose my home. These are the things I found in City of Heroes.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2012, 04:23:48 PM »
"What makes a man a man? A friend of mine once wondered. Is it his origins? The way he comes to life? I don't think so. It's the choices he makes. Not how he starts things, but how he decides to end them."
----- John Myers, closing narration of "Hellboy"

I ran away from home. I would've been one of those kids on a milk carton, but this was long before that trend emerged. Learning to live on my own made me careful in choosing the people with whom I make relations. This game has given me friends who I would've otherwise never met and I am by nature fiercely loyal to my friends.

Decades later when I took a medical sabbatical after being nearly cut in half and stitched back, this game and my friends kept me company in my long recuperation. When my body rejected the implants holding me together and it all had to come out, followed by another enforced sabbatical, this game and my friends encouraged me to force my body back to working order.

For long weeks I could do very little but play City of Heroes and slowly recover. When a reaction to the anesthesia induced a seizure, dislocated my knee and engendered another round of repairs, this game was my only outlet for movement. I could run, fly, leap without pain. Again I struggled back to full mobility encouraged by my supergroup and my superb friends. Sixteen surgeries in twelve months and missing very little work. I'd come home exhausted and spent, take an emergency nap and get up and game for a couple of hours.

When I was forced to spend six weeks with my wrist in a cast, I spent that time playing a mastermind, with one hand. When I was knifed breaking up a purse-snatching (and nearly fired from my job for interfering) the only ones who thanked me were the cops and my friends in my extended super family.

I bear the scars of a fighter and all the fear was long ago beaten out of me. I choose my friends. I choose my family. I choose my home. These are the things I found in City of Heroes.

Thank you for sharing your story. Every time I poke my head in here, I'm reminded that we truly are are a City of Heroes. More than that, this community is a family, and I am proud to stand with you.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2012, 05:04:35 PM »
I cannot wait for Samuraiko's video... but a note for here...

For the heroes who cannot post for themselves...

Gone But Still Heroes Among Us

Their voices still echo in the City.

/em holdtorch

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2012, 05:14:33 PM »
Speaking of heroes who can not speak for themselves...Has anyone spoken to COYOTE's family.
I remember when that charactor joined the tutorial as the living digital memory of a deceased player. He crystal and so many others deserve to be preserved as the memorial tributes they are.
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »
Matthew "Kiyotee" Brigg is on Samuraiko's list.

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #130 on: September 28, 2012, 05:54:39 PM »
City of Heroes, and the friends I made there along the way, were instrumental in helping with my therapy for Social Anxiety, Agoraphobia, and Depression. I don't know what became of many of the people I frequently played with over the years, but I hope they know how much they meant to me. 2009 was my peak year of the game. I was in a supergroup called "Carpe Diem" on Virtue where I hooked up with a handful of individuals in performing elaborate role-playing and narratives. Never before and not since have I performed with such amazingly theatrical and charismatic players and it was these performances that helped me focus and deal with my diagnosis (of course the meds helped too, heh). If it weren't for City of Heroes and the amazing work by the people at Cryptic and Paragon Studios, I doubt I would have met that SG or engaged in the most engrossing character acting in my life. They are memories I will forever cherish no matter what happens to the game.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2012, 08:05:43 PM »
I have revised mine slightly in a more "allow NCSoft to save face" theme, and sent it on directly - even though I know Mercedes has probably already sent the original one, I thought the revised one was...more conducive to allowing NCSoft a path to save face by making a compromise.

Here's the revised version. It requires slightly more kleenex than the original one. :) 

The City of Heroes game is a unique game in many ways. It has a very strong, positive community. It is an easy game to engage in, and friendly to the casual player. It is also friendly to the physically handicapped because of the ease of play. The players are generally extremely supportive and friendly. Because of that community, this game has shown clear and repeatable benefits in use for communication and social therapy in autistic children. This is not something which I have been able to find in any other game, ever.

I'm going to tell you a story now. It is the story of my eldest son, and how City of Heroes, both the game and the community, helped him rediscover his voice. I am telling this story in many places, in an effort to convince NCSoft to change their plans to cancel the game, or to release the game for further development by the former Paragon Studios staff. This is not only for the sake of my eldest son. It is for my second son, who is moderately autistic, and for the sake of many other autistic children like them.

In late 2004, a friend introduced me to a new game called City of Heroes. He was having a blast with it, playing a Fire/Fire Blaster, in a supergroup with some of my other close friends. My husband started playing about a month before I did. It took experimenting with the costume creator after watching him play, and then I was hooked. This was May of 2005.

We had a toddler at that time. As first-time parents, we were slow to recognize that he wasn't speaking quite the way he should be. His few words were complex ones, and he couldn't say them properly. When he was about 18 months old, he told us that he couldn't say the words right. And then he stopped speaking. Faced with an uncooperative early intervention program in the state we lived in, we were unable to get speech therapy for him that was covered by our insurance. About six months later, we were still struggling with a nearly non-verbal two year old and a new baby.

He was, however, absolutely fascinated by watching Mommy and Daddy play superheroes. The little boy who wouldn't sit still to be read to, and who wouldn't talk, who sometimes wouldn't meet our eyes and acted like he didn't hear us, would happily sit and watch City of Heroes. He even insisted on "helping" to play by pushing movement buttons and moving the mouse. He pointed at things on the screen, and showed a deep interest in the character creator. We started having him sit on our laps while we talked to him about what our characters were doing and the areas they were flying through.

Slowly, the words started to come. "Tree" "Rock" "House" "Door" "Book". He started counting groups of Skulls and Hellions. I let him take my Scrapper and run around through the city and he started telling us what he saw. My husband and I started DJing on The Cape Radio, and our son was fascinated by hearing us speak to other people through the computer. He said "hello" to people he had never met, who responded with encouragement and praise. He saw them on the screen as brightly colored heroes, and they gave him more reasons to speak. He could talk to real heroes and they talked back to him!

In 2007, he was finally able to count aloud from 1 to 10, with a notable exception. When he counted to ten, he said "One, two, three, four, five, six, Superman, eight, nine, ten." He laughed when he said it, and met our eyes with gleeful happiness. We recorded him counting so he could hear what he sounded like, and he was thrilled. We played it on the Cape, and he heard himself speaking to heroes. A door opened for him. For his heroes, the words came. "Mommy, play Heroes!" "Mommy, play Heroes with me."

He was four years old. Two years later, he was diagnosed with severe ADHD and a speech/language processing disorder. A year after that, he was diagnosed with autism. He will turn nine the month City of Heroes goes dark. He still plays his heroes, with Mommy and Daddy, but less frequently. He's in school now, progressing with his class, at the appropriate grade for his age. He now qualifies for speech therapy, after we moved to a new state.

Without his heroes, he would not have had a reason to start talking again. Without the community City of Heroes has, he would not have been able to hear his own voice speaking to the heroes on the screen, and heard those heroes answering him back. In the City of Heroes, the heroes and the players, helped find a little boy's voice. He has never lost his love for his heroes. In recent months, as City of Heroes went free to play, he had started playing again, infrequently. We were encouraging him to play, and to talk with the wonderful community we know there. He can read now, and he can make himself understood when speaking...which he could not do when he started sitting on my lap to play. 

I've had to tell him that it will all be gone on November 30th. He heard this news with tears and cries of "Why? Why are they taking the heroes away? Are they villains? Do they hate heroes? Mommy, tell them they can't do it!" Understand, these are the questions of an autistic, ADHD 8 year old. He knows nothing about corporate needs and goals. He does not understand that refocusing of corporate interests sometimes requires change. All he can understand is that his heroes will be gone, perhaps forever.

I hope, with NCSoft's support and understanding, that an avenue will be found to allow City of Heroes will remain open to players past November 30th. I ask that NCSoft hear a little boy's voice and find it a reason to keep City of Heroes an active game. I ask that if they cannot do that, that they make the game available to the community in some form, that we may ourselves find means to keep the City of Heroes an active, functioning game and community.

Please, don't silence my son's heroes. They helped him learn to tell his mother that he loves her. They gave him back his voice. There are thousands of parents whose autistic children might benefit from this game and this community. Please give those children a chance to hear their heroes speak, and to speak back to them. I can not find the words to express my feelings, and my tears, the first time my son asked me to "Play Heroes, Mommy!". The first time he found something that he wanted to do WITH us. Please, help other parents hear those words too. I believe that NCSoft can find a compromise that will fit their new corporate direction, and will still allow other autistic children to benefit from everything that the City of Heroes has to offer.

For me, this is not just a game. It's the portal that opened to the door to my son's voice. It's the game that gave him the courage and desire to finally say "Mommy, I love you." I want other parents to feel that way about it, and I want to be able to tell them that NCSoft enabled this game to continue despite a change in corporate direction. I want to be able to tell them that I support NCSoft, because they found a compromise, because it is a corporation that supports the hopes of parents, the autistic community, the elderly community, and the disabled community.
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Elfin

• Lieutenant
  • Never Fear Elfin Is Here
    • Ken's Super Sci Fi Page
« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2012, 09:08:31 PM »
Not sure if my story was included but I wrote an email as well. I hope it helps.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2012, 09:44:21 PM »
SithRose.

Time and again, you've brought onions into my house. This is no exception.

* DrakeGrimm gives a sad smile

...if this is overstepping a boundary or something...I'd understand.

That said...if you're so inclined...give your son a hug from Hawthorne Grimm. And Front Lines. And any number of the heroes whose stories continue on in my heart and head...and then finally, a hug from me, too.

* DrakeGrimm hugs SithRose

Thank you, again, for sharing this story.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2012, 10:17:37 PM »
SithRose.

Time and again, you've brought onions into my house. This is no exception.

* DrakeGrimm gives a sad smile

...if this is overstepping a boundary or something...I'd understand.

That said...if you're so inclined...give your son a hug from Hawthorne Grimm. And Front Lines. And any number of the heroes whose stories continue on in my heart and head...and then finally, a hug from me, too.

* DrakeGrimm hugs SithRose

Thank you, again, for sharing this story.

There were a few tears involved in writing it. There were a few tears when we got the surprise package from Paragon Studios. (OK, more than a few....)

Don't be sad. I have wonderful kids. They just see the world differently than most people. (I actually have 4 boys, but so far the younger two *seem* mostly neurotypical.) And they always love hugs.

It's funny, when we started doing it, people looked at us like we were nuts...
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #135 on: September 28, 2012, 10:42:07 PM »
By now Kimberly-Clark is considering running a semi to my place twice a week.

Yes, I collated ALL the stories and sent them, in six emails, which is where you picked up the number six from.  I wasn't sure who would see Fansy's post, who was still looking in on this thread or even this board, and I didn't want the editors to miss any of these stories. 

By all means, use Fansy's supplied email address and subject to re-send your own story to them.  It's always better for the editor of a story to hear from a person directly.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

EClark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #136 on: September 28, 2012, 10:52:04 PM »
Ninjas.... cloaking devices..... concentrated onion oil..... yeah, that's it.

Dr Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • Dr Shadow Champion server/ @Leila_L twitter
« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2012, 03:13:12 AM »
Bumping up *update* Son has seen SaveCOH videos and now is making one himself (with lots of help), off to find someone we can use part of their rally video from..
Dr Shadow- Champion Server @Leila_L twitter

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #138 on: September 30, 2012, 04:23:29 AM »
Bumping up *update* Son has seen SaveCOH videos and now is making one himself (with lots of help), off to find someone we can use part of their rally video from..

Tell your son that Hawthorne Grimm the superhero thinks your son is the real hero. ;)

darkskye

• Minion
« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2012, 06:40:49 AM »

Can't hurt to have a real name as well as the Titan screenname attached.

Sent my story in with permission to use my name (Tammi R)

Thank you for posting this, VV.  I had indeed missed it.