Author Topic: Shipping Jobs Overseas  (Read 1650 times)

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
Shipping Jobs Overseas
« on: September 09, 2012, 04:32:30 PM »
I know this is a bit of an "Out there" angle, but the US presidential campaign is heavily under way.  Could this be a case of shipping jobs overseas?  Again, I could be way out in left field, but from some of what I have read it could be possible that closing Paragon and CoH could be an effort of NCSoft to shift to the Korean market and provide lower paying jobs there. 

This angle just hit me as I was channel surfing the TV.  I don't claim any contacts with either party's presidential race, but it could be a powerful message if it were true.

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
Re: Shipping Jobs Overseas
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »
If they were doing that then COH would stay open in theory just under different handlers.

As someone who has studied lots of history, government and business this thing reeks of idiot bureaucratic desk jokey not doing his job well.

Sorta like when a really popular product gets discontinued because of low sales numbers due to it always being out of stock.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 09:04:47 PM »
(crossposted)

First off, this post is NOT meant to discourage you guys.  Just remember we have to deal in facts as well as hope.

Larry did some fact-checking and money-tracing (he's the brains of our operation, I just do the heavy-word-lifting).  This is what he found.

"The essence of it all appears to be as simple as this: NCsoft is owned by Nexon Co. Ltd., and Nexon has a record of only being interested in what benefits Asian gamers, and last quarter, their push was heavy East and EU.

Paragon Studios employed 80 people.  Nexon employs 3,400.  City made $800k clear profit a month.  Nexon's quarterly was $242 million, and their latest 1 of 60 MMOs registered 3 million players in China last month.  Nexon has been at a steady $1.1 to $1.2 billion dollar company for 3 years.

As big as CoH has been to us, City wasn't even a blip seen from Tokyo and Seoul.  Someone 5,000 miles away (who likely never played any game the corporation owns---and even their largest shareholder only has a 21 percent share) said "reduce North American assets," and this happened.  And with a billion people in China as a market for Nexon's free-to-play/micropayment 2D MMOs versus a highly-technical American-based 3D MMO, they saw no reason to bother (or, really, even take notice)."

THIS SHOULD NOT DISCOURAGE YOU, especially from writing letters.  But I would suggest to turn the request to NCSoft to "Please consider keeping the game and Paragon Studios--or at least partial staff--running until a new buyer can be found."  there are good economic reasons for this--even at half profit because of dropped subscribers over this, $400k a month is not to be sneezed at for something you are going to sell off anyway, not to mention something you were intending to dump flat.  It's like renting out the house you intend to sell, except that the renters know they are just going to be changing landlords, not getting booted.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

castorcorvus

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 09:23:49 PM »
Ohh boy, this changes the whole ballgame. Now it is East vs West? If you have those numbers backed, you could submit them to another company in a bid to persuade them to purchase COH. A little research and well spun publicity and we might have something to work with yet.