Author Topic: Disney  (Read 6304 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Disney
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 06:11:10 AM »
In fact I think the exact opposite. City of Heroes was completely gore free. No headshots or blood, it was perhaps too sterile for some players even.

I liked it because my grand daughter could play it without having to monitor her except superficially.

I think there was a little too much ERP going on in COX for me to get comfortable enough to allow my kids or grandkids to play COX. The content was ok, and good for one that is going into their teen years or a few years prior but much subjects that people talk about, I'm not sure I would my kids to be seeing or being part of that stuff. (and I'm talking about the ERP outside the Pocket.). But that is just me.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 06:48:42 AM »
I think there was a little too much ERP going on in COX for me to get comfortable enough to allow my kids or grandkids to play COX. The content was ok, and good for one that is going into their teen years or a few years prior but much subjects that people talk about, I'm not sure I would my kids to be seeing or being part of that stuff. (and I'm talking about the ERP outside the Pocket.). But that is just me.

I took all of the chat channels out of my daughter's tab and only let her play when she was on a team with me and people I knew well. She didn't see anything she shouldn't have. I also didn't let her play Praetorian content, since that's a little more mature.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 07:19:11 AM »
I also didn't let her play Praetorian content, since that's a little more mature.

Ya while I don't think the game was really all the violent at all, but there are a few things that could be taken to be violent.  When Emperor Cole nuked Praeotria and harvested the souls of the people he killed.  I thought that was super cool.  But I could see how it could be taken in a negative light.

Quinch

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 07:32:21 AM »
Also everything the Crusaders ever did.

Anyway, back on topic, I don't suppose anyone has a source for that article on hand? All I could dig up was bits and pieces in various articles, nothing directly from the source.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 07:06:21 PM »
I took all of the chat channels out of my daughter's tab and only let her play when she was on a team with me and people I knew well. She didn't see anything she shouldn't have. I also didn't let her play Praetorian content, since that's a little more mature.

nice control method there.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 10:01:27 PM »
I also had all chat windows closed for her but she could accept team invites and I made a bind for her on the F1 key:

I am 10 years old and so don't get mad if I do anything stupid. I am having fun and will help if I can.

She knew to watch the health bars of others and help whoever was in need.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2013, 02:12:29 AM »
I also had all chat windows closed for her but she could accept team invites and I made a bind for her on the F1 key:

I am 10 years old and so don't get mad if I do anything stupid. I am having fun and will help if I can.

Awwwwwwwwww!

I teamed with a lot of my SG members kids.  We had a grand old time.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2013, 04:53:40 AM »
I learned that my Dad had actually bought 2 copies of the game way back when, and intended on playing it with me. Too bad things kept getting in the way. Maybe once we get CoH back/Our Plan Zs open. It'll be so much fun with him as the noob. Already tried to get him to play SWToR, so we could "Rule the galaxy, as father and son!" but he didnt go for it.

At least I was able to get almost all of my friends to at least try CoH at one time or another.
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 05:13:19 AM »

I believe I seen that statement somewhere. The team leader was getting a bit frustrated (to put it kindly) and I and a few other team mates reminded em that "it's a person of 10 year old and doing the best that they can so relax, son. Stop dying so often and quick and that will help them help you." They quit the team.

Absolute

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2013, 05:19:07 AM »
My brother bought the game when he was 16; I was 10.

If I didn't have my brother playing beside me and helping me, my parents had a very close friend who played the game too (He was 35), so I'd play with him online, and he would talk for me on teams etc.

CoH was extremely kid friendly. It actually kept a lot of kids (including me) away from more graphic games (Grand Theft Auto anyone?). I know games like Call of Duty and Halo have M ratings, but if you go on xbox live, you see much, much younger. If someone is 12 and all their friends are talking about how cool the game is, the kid is going to get his hands on a copy and try to play it, or play it at one of his friend's house a lot.

Someone mentioned ERP as a problem. I hadn't even heard of it in CoH until I was 16. ERP was mostly contained to Pocket D and other RP spots. Young kids don't really care to socialize, they want to defeat bad guys and run around the city. I never went to Pocket D except to see the light show.

Lastly, I really don't think someone who is trying to find out who they are (Anyone who is ~15), is prepared to roleplay a fictional character and get into that crowd. Does anybody remember someone under 20 RPing? I certainly don't. (hint:They all PvPed)

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 06:46:01 AM »
Lastly, I really don't think someone who is trying to find out who they are (Anyone who is ~15), is prepared to roleplay a fictional character and get into that crowd. Does anybody remember someone under 20 RPing? I certainly don't. (hint:They all PvPed)
I Role Played PnP RPGs when I was 12. Here I am, 30 years later, and still playing RPGs, both online and PnP. The real challenge is playing three characters in the same campaign at the same time. Ever had an argument with yourself that came to blows?  :o
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Absolute

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 07:14:07 AM »
I Role Played PnP RPGs when I was 12. Here I am, 30 years later, and still playing RPGs, both online and PnP. The real challenge is playing three characters in the same campaign at the same time. Ever had an argument with yourself that came to blows?  :o

PnP is very different. You're in person, typically with people that you know well, there aren't high expectations, patience is given etc.

Then there is the biggest difference with PnP, people can see you directly, full well knowing you're describing a fictional character (Actions/Personality), where ingame you actually 'act-out' your character. Maybe some people play where they dress up as their character and answer the door as their character and order pizza as their character, but I don't see that often.

I couldn't RP if my life was on the line (I end up RPing myself, every, single, time), but that's at least what I've seen from observation and a smidgen of experience.

I still can't remember a single account of someone young RPing on CoH, granted I didn't wander into the RP community very much, I still knew a fair share of kids that played.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 04:05:05 PM »

I didn't actually close the window, just edited the tab. I never let her play with strangers.

I do remember years ago playing with a six year old in the hollows.  I wanna think we did frost fire, too. Mom had to make dinner, so she just warned everyone he was only six. I think she wad helping him play before that point. It was an interesting mission. lol No one complained and just tried to accommodate him since he was little. I miss our awesome community. :(

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 04:12:24 PM »

My 11 year old rped her character kinda. She wrote a bio and everything. But no, she didn't get involved with the rp crowd, I wouldn't let her. She really only was interested in rp because I was an rper and she would watch when I played.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2013, 06:25:15 PM »
PnP is very different. You're in person, typically with people that you know well, there aren't high expectations, patience is given etc.

Then there is the biggest difference with PnP, people can see you directly, full well knowing you're describing a fictional character (Actions/Personality), where ingame you actually 'act-out' your character. Maybe some people play where they dress up as their character and answer the door as their character and order pizza as their character, but I don't see that often.

I couldn't RP if my life was on the line (I end up RPing myself, every, single, time), but that's at least what I've seen from observation and a smidgen of experience.

I still can't remember a single account of someone young RPing on CoH, granted I didn't wander into the RP community very much, I still knew a fair share of kids that played.
There isn't much difference between RPing in person and RPing online. I have done PnP RPing with people that lived 5 states away from me (Thank you mIRC). You're telling a story with your character. There are also degrees of RPing. Some RPers (especially in PnP RPing) that will say "My character will do this and he will try to talk the guy out of doing that by saying something along the lines of..." Then there are the peole that will actually play the role of that character in that instance of fast talking. Depending on the GM, they will modify die rolls based on how well the player fast talked.
In any event, I can't really play a character that would do something that I couldn't bring myself to do. I'm playing a failed Sith in SW:TOR for crying out loud. she doesn't have a single dark-side point. That doesn't mean that she doesn't have a personality of her own though. Granted, I'm not as into RPing as Vicky V, but I do listen to the characters I play when they tell me what they want to do. Yes, my characters speak to me. Some more than others. It took several months for Serenity Dark to tell me her story. Where Dark Anarchy told me right up front.

Hey, look at me ramble.  I need more sleep...
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2013, 07:41:28 PM »
Quote from: Sentry44
My 11 year old rped her character kinda. She wrote a bio and everything. But no, she didn't get involved with the rp crowd, I wouldn't let her. She really only was interested in rp because I was an rper and she would watch when I played.

Well maybe she was more interested than that. Still, online RP isn't the best place for a kid to first experience that. One trip to Pocket D and it would've been time to cut the whole experience short before it got really weird. But if you have a guild with people you trust, they can help babysit and keep her out of trouble. That's what my guilds have done whenever kids were around, and we never had any trouble.

And Lily, kids RP. Perhaps not well. Characters are pretty over-simplified. But most childhood play is RP. Traditionally it's just with Barbies and G.I. Joes instead of rendered avatars. But the mindset is the same for both. And it's a natural part of growth. One of the things RP does for children is allowing them to try different shoes on, but from a safe distance from reality. That they haven't found themselves yet is irrelevant. Roleplay is a developmental tool that helps people find out who they are.

Or is this just completely outdated information now? I know everyone is born with a iPhone attached to their hand now, but... 'make believe' is still around... isn't it?

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2013, 11:15:34 PM »

Well maybe she was more interested than that. Still, online RP isn't the best place for a kid to first experience that. One trip to Pocket D and it would've been time to cut the whole experience short before it got really weird. But if you have a guild with people you trust, they can help babysit and keep her out of trouble. That's what my guilds have done whenever kids were around, and we never had any trouble.

And Lily, kids RP. Perhaps not well. Characters are pretty over-simplified. But most childhood play is RP. Traditionally it's just with Barbies and G.I. Joes instead of rendered avatars. But the mindset is the same for both. And it's a natural part of growth. One of the things RP does for children is allowing them to try different shoes on, but from a safe distance from reality. That they haven't found themselves yet is irrelevant. Roleplay is a developmental tool that helps people find out who they are.

Or is this just completely outdated information now? I know everyone is born with a iPhone attached to their hand now, but... 'make believe' is still around... isn't it?

Again, I would never ever let my young child into chat with strangers, let alone in Pocket D. I just wanted to make the point that conceivably, a kid could RP and stumble onto something. They don't all just want to pvp and kill stuff. Some are interested in story development and personal character stories.This is why kids should never be given free reign in a game that is ultimately designed for adults.

Also, my kid is capable of some pretty advanced themes and creative writing. I could see her going beyond simplistic rp. She's an avid, advanced reader. Doubt she's the only one out there. But yeah. I would never let her rp. She just wrote stories about her characters instead.