Author Topic: Call to Action: Masks and Capes!  (Read 54703 times)

@B0FH

• Underling
  • Badge Hunting Since 1809
    • B0FH.co.uk
Re: Call to Action: Masks and Capes!
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2012, 07:42:44 PM »
Beyond that, why not make our own costume drive for charity? We have no real certain idea what NCSoft will do with such items sent to them. But if the community did something on its own, we'd know some good came of it. I'm not really sure what charity would be best for this but I'd strongly suggest it be a large and very visible one. The idea here being to both do a good deed and get maximum publicity out of it for the cause.

Had suggested the same on Twitter a little earlier - I'd rather fund a Plan Z if need be, but we (the comminuty) are well known charity-ers, so would be a nice way to bow out the older game (if/when it came to it)
@B0FH
"If there's anything more important than my ego I want it caught and shot now..." - Zaphod Beablebrox

Recluse1990

• Minion
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2012, 09:33:29 PM »
An interesting idea, I'd just suggest folks keep it simple and small. Don't make it hard for them to deal with or the campaign will just annoy rather than help.

Beyond that, why not make our own costume drive for charity? We have no real certain idea what NCSoft will do with such items sent to them. But if the community did something on its own, we'd know some good came of it. I'm not really sure what charity would be best for this but I'd strongly suggest it be a large and very visible one. The idea here being to both do a good deed and get maximum publicity out of it for the cause.

Children's Miracle Network, or Make a Wish maybe? Halloween is coming up...

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2012, 02:22:36 AM »
Children's Miracle Network, or Make a Wish maybe? Halloween is coming up...

Real World Hero and Titan Network are talking behind the scenes. If and when a visible charitable statement needs to be made, we'll probably be given a Call to Action.

In the meantime, feel free to donate whatever time or money of your own that you can. :) I spent a couple of hours working with a worthy cause tonight--prescription drug abuse, mentioned here only to raise awareness of a growing problem in American society. (Tangential FYI: if it hasn't happened already, drug overdoses are soon going to overtake automobile accidents as the leading cause of "accidental" death, according to the CDC. According to a report I read, I seem to recall that over half of those overdoses were of prescription drugs. If you have a problem, or know someone with a problem, feel free to contact me: addiction is a disease, not a weakness, and it can be treated with good medical practices.)
@Vulpy
Protector Server

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2012, 04:40:31 AM »
Yeah, I don't know how to tactfully say this without sounding cold, but here goes the ol' college try...

I don't want to detract from charity.  I give to charity, and people like the Wentworths who sponsor charity drives are top notch in my book.  However, right now, we really have to focus on things that will be effective in getting NCsoft's attention.  As admirable as participating in a charity fundraiser would be, the only way I can see this as being particularly effective for our efforts is if it drums up some major publicity.  I'm mainly concerned that if it doesn't, it won't even make NCsoft's radar, and I just don't think we're at the threshold of drumming up the kind of publicity we'd need.  If we get there in the future, then I reserve the right to do a 180 on the subject.

Plus, I don't want to burn people out by nickel-and-diming them to death.  Sending a letter isn't very expensive.  Sending capes and masks is a little more, but still within reason.  If we start asking people to do something that costs them $10 or $20 every week or two, then I'm afraid that 1) people will get tired of it and stop participating, and/or 2) if the time comes that we need to kick off a massive crowd funding effort, I don't want people to look at their pocketbooks and say, "But I've already spent $100 on this stuff, I don't have anything left!"

If we can get through this intact, I pledge to you right here and now that I will throw my full support behind Real World Hero come holiday time.  Shoot, even if we hit the worst-case scenario, I'll STILL throw my full support behind it, because even if our game isn't around, our community will still be and I really think that supporting Real World Hero is very important.

But for now... For right now, I'd like to hold off on any kind of charity drives.

But as someone else said, I am not saying don't give to charity.  There are a LOT of worthwhile causes out there that need your money.  If you've got some to spare, definitely throw it their way.

Sally Suicide

• Underling
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2012, 12:50:24 PM »
Alright guys, i need your opinion on this.

While I love this idea, I'm one of those pesky Frenchie gamers out there (i know, nobody's perfect ;)) and unfortunately i can't afford shipping costs to the US or Korea right now (i might just send a letter to save costs but i feel a solid cloth cape and plastic mask should have a better impact on people's minds).

So as I really want to participate i thought i might order my cape and mask at a US store and have them ship the package directly to Austin for instance, gift-wrapped with a nice message while I'm at it. Do you think it would work? I mean is there at least a chance my nice package doesn't end in the trashcan as soon as the postman arrives at the NcSoft building (or gets returned to sender, I'm sorry Sir we never ordered that crap now go away before i release the dogs)?

Thanks for your advice and thank you TonyV and Maressa for all you're doing :)
NcSoft won't kill my babies!!

jacknomind

• Boss
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2012, 12:58:14 PM »
...Yes.  I think that your package will stand out in the mail (since I at least am only sending in the paper masks, although I intend to send quite a few over the following weeks), giving it a much better chance of piquing someone's curiosity.

And if it is not seen, it will be because we have brought about such a deluge of mail that they literally cannot see.  ;)  Which honestly, I'd love to have happen.

Back Blast

• Minion
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2012, 01:53:26 PM »
Yeah, I don't know how to tactfully say this without sounding cold, but here goes the ol' college try...

I don't want to detract from charity.  I give to charity, and people like the Wentworths who sponsor charity drives are top notch in my book.  However, right now, we really have to focus on things that will be effective in getting NCsoft's attention.  As admirable as participating in a charity fundraiser would be, the only way I can see this as being particularly effective for our efforts is if it drums up some major publicity.  I'm mainly concerned that if it doesn't, it won't even make NCsoft's radar, and I just don't think we're at the threshold of drumming up the kind of publicity we'd need.  If we get there in the future, then I reserve the right to do a 180 on the subject.

Plus, I don't want to burn people out by nickel-and-diming them to death.  Sending a letter isn't very expensive.  Sending capes and masks is a little more, but still within reason.  If we start asking people to do something that costs them $10 or $20 every week or two, then I'm afraid that 1) people will get tired of it and stop participating, and/or 2) if the time comes that we need to kick off a massive crowd funding effort, I don't want people to look at their pocketbooks and say, "But I've already spent $100 on this stuff, I don't have anything left!"

If we can get through this intact, I pledge to you right here and now that I will throw my full support behind Real World Hero come holiday time.  Shoot, even if we hit the worst-case scenario, I'll STILL throw my full support behind it, because even if our game isn't around, our community will still be and I really think that supporting Real World Hero is very important.

But for now... For right now, I'd like to hold off on any kind of charity drives.

But as someone else said, I am not saying don't give to charity.  There are a LOT of worthwhile causes out there that need your money.  If you've got some to spare, definitely throw it their way.

Well in defense of the idea, I did suggest that the charity be a big public one and that it be done as a method of generating publicity while still being a charity drive of course. I'm just not sure who the best choice would be.

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2012, 03:38:38 PM »
If I offered the services of my sewing shop Hourglass Nights to make child-sized satin capes for $15 + $2.00 shipping, would people want to take advantage of that? I'm US-based, so I would ship them directly to the US offices with your return address on them. If people are interested, I can set up a Save COH Cape on my Etsy shop. (I'd love to be able to make and mail them for free, but fabric costs money. You're basically buying the fabric for me at that price - I normally charge $40 for a kid's satin cape.) I've seen a lot of folks from across the pond wondering about shipping and costs - This might help folks save some money on shipping AND get their capes to NCSoft faster. Feel free to send me a PM if you want - I'll send you a picture of the finished cape and print out any personalized message you want to include in the package as well.

(Edited for more detail.)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 05:31:15 PM by SithRose »
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

SkyStreak

• Minion
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2012, 07:22:15 PM »
Mailed out my mask and cape today, and got the return receipt of my letter I sent last week too!

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2012, 08:19:23 PM »
I'm not terribly artistic or talented, but I found some masks on eBay pretty cheap. I figured I'd send them with letters written by my avatars, including a little of their in-game bios and stating they are returning their masks as it appears they are no longer Welcome in Paragon/The Isles.

Except now I see that written down, it looks a bit cringey.
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2012, 08:42:33 PM »
I'm not terribly artistic or talented, but I found some masks on eBay pretty cheap. I figured I'd send them with letters written by my avatars, including a little of their in-game bios and stating they are returning their masks as it appears they are no longer Welcome in Paragon/The Isles.

Funny. My first thought when I read your plan was "Ooooh...twist the knife a little more!  :'("
@Vulpy
Protector Server

jacknomind

• Boss
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2012, 10:41:04 PM »

Oh good.  I was afraid you had been swallowed by the well of fanfiction.

Do it anyway, but keep it short and sweet.  "To whom it may concern; my name is ----.  I have been a hero in Paragon City/agent of fortune (or other appropriate euphemism) in the Rogue Isles for ---- years.  (A one-sentence summary of their bio or most notable accomplishment), but now I see I am no longer welcome here.  I won't be needing this.  Thank you for your time."

Cannonfodder

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2012, 11:22:36 PM »
Shorter link for promotion:  http://bit.ly/MasksCapes
--Jason
@Cannonfodder
Victory:  Cannonfodder 50 Inv/SS
Virtue:  Pravda 50 Bots/FF
The Hall of Justice/The Hall of Doom /chanjoin "Victory Badges" /chanjoin "Virtue Badges"

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2012, 01:01:48 AM »
And to further help the folks concerned with postage costs and our friends overseas, I'll happily make your cape and mail it for you. :) (Refer to my earlier post for details.)

You can order it here:  https://www.etsy.com/listing/109238903/childs-satin-cape-to-help-savecoh

It's the best way I can help out with this part of the initiative.
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2012, 08:25:14 AM »
Oh good.  I was afraid you had been swallowed by the well of fanfiction.

Do it anyway, but keep it short and sweet.  "To whom it may concern; my name is ----.  I have been a hero in Paragon City/agent of fortune (or other appropriate euphemism) in the Rogue Isles for ---- years.  (A one-sentence summary of their bio or most notable accomplishment), but now I see I am no longer welcome here.  I won't be needing this.  Thank you for your time."

..so you're saying I should leave out my totes original characters Eduardo and Belle? Interesting ;)
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Woodnimph

• Underling
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2012, 01:41:49 PM »
Look what I found for the Mask and Cape campaign. I thought that they were perfect and so many options too!

http://www.zulily.com/e/power-cape-and-hero-huggers-091712.html

Edit: removed email address from URL - Eabrace
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 02:27:49 PM by eabrace »

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2012, 02:19:34 PM »
Look what I found for the Mask and Cape campaign. I thought that they were perfect and so many options too!

FYI--the link you posted has an e-mail address in the URL. You may want to edit that back out. >.>
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Woodnimph

• Underling
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2012, 02:30:28 PM »
FYI--the link you posted has an e-mail address in the URL. You may want to edit that back out. >.>

Thanks  :D

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2012, 02:31:29 PM »
I modified the URL above to remove the email address.  But the link (with our without the address) is sending me to an account creation page.

I think this is what Woodnimph was trying to point out to us, though:

http://www.zulily.com/brand/power-capes.html
http://www.zulily.com/brand/hero-huggers.html

Both appear to be 65% off.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Woodnimph

• Underling
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2012, 02:43:34 PM »
That's it. There are LOTS of kids sized capes and masks.