Author Topic: Protests and Trolls  (Read 3962 times)

Steampowered Thund

• Underling
Protests and Trolls
« on: September 08, 2012, 06:04:59 AM »
Seems a bit odd for this to be my first post, but I joined in hopes of making myself useful so here I am.  If this needs moving or deleting I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
Before I begin you should read this if you haven't: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,4944.0.html
I'm looking forward to tomorrow's Virtue rally, and have been quietly joining and observing some of the protests in Atlas Park all week.  That in mind I wanted to share a few of my observations and some thoughts about problems we're likely to experience.
As the community's efforts to save CoH have gotten more publicity they've also, to no one's surprise, caught the attention of trolls, both in and out of game.  I don't doubt that there will be trolls in Atlas Park on Saturday, there were some tonight, and a more organized event of this nature will attract more.  I'm sure everyone has also seen arguments in various channels about the reasoning behind NCsoft's actions, whether there's hope for the game, what our goals ought to be, even which emote sends the right message for the protest...
Tomorrow especially, we need to respond to these issues in a positive, mature, and brief fashion.  With any luck we'll have the eye of the media on us, and it's important that we show the community at it's best even though we're all on edge.  Don't feed the trolls.  I've seen lots of divisive jabs thrown to try and start arguments among the protestors.  We can't let that get to us.  We don't need to get bogged down in arguments, we need to show a unified front.
I suppose my point is that there is likely to be a negative element at the rally, and we need to respond to that like heroes.  Don't resort to troll-like tactics to fight trolls, it won't work, it'll just make us look bad.
Also, it's worth repeating that badmouthing NCsoft is just as likely to hurt us as help us at this point.  I understand the sentiment, but they hold the cards right now.  Besides, whatever the future brings for us as a community, it can benefit us to be on their good side no matter how we feel about the situation.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 06:21:36 AM by Steampowered Thund »

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
Re: Protests and Trolls
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 07:21:41 AM »
I hadn't thought of this... but this is really important.

I posted a semi-approach/word of caution concerning trolls a while ago.  Read here:
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,4969.0.html

tl;dr: WE NEED TO BE MATURE OR IGNORE THEM.

It will be really, really, REALLY easy and tempting to fight.  Emotions will probably be running high and Massively is covering this.  We cannot afford to be fighting in trollific flame wars.  THE FIRE NATION MUST NOT ATTACK. 

Seriously...  I can't do anything else but beg.  Let's make this fun.  I personally have people (my own brother included) coming back for this event after having not played the game for years.  Take the high road.  It's not quite as gratifying in the moment, but it will pay off when we save this game :)

THWAJO

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 08:10:04 AM »
CoH will be saved or it won't. It's too early to tell, but everything I'm reading on this site, the forums and the general internet is way, way more than I could have thought possible a week ago. Whatever may come, I seriously doubt that the execs at NCsoft or whoever will say, "you know, maybe it was a worth a second shot, but there was that one guy in Atlas Park being a jerk . . ." Having said that, if ever there was a time not to troll, this is it; but unfortunately, those are the times when they all come out of the woodwork. What is happening with the community right now is simply incredible. If some idiots want to try to mess it up then: Step #1 -- Ignore; Step #2 --- See Step #1. There are bigger fish to fry than those losers.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 08:24:02 AM »
CoH will be saved or it won't. It's too early to tell, but everything I'm reading on this site, the forums and the general internet is way, way more than I could have thought possible a week ago. Whatever may come, I seriously doubt that the execs at NCsoft or whoever will say, "you know, maybe it was a worth a second shot, but there was that one guy in Atlas Park being a jerk . . ." Having said that, if ever there was a time not to troll, this is it; but unfortunately, those are the times when they all come out of the woodwork. What is happening with the community right now is simply incredible. If some idiots want to try to mess it up then: Step #1 -- Ignore; Step #2 --- See Step #1. There are bigger fish to fry than those losers.
Agreed.  I am simply trying to avoid back-and-forth between trolls and those trying to have fun.  I'd really like to avoid reading about arguments in any media coverage.  It may not make the biggest difference in the end-game, but a) I'd rather not take chances and b) it's embarrassing.

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 11:52:39 AM »
As it says in the signature of my COH forum account:

"When about to confront trolls think about this:
Who is smarter? The fisherman or the fish who avoids the bait?"

To be blunt: when a person counters a troll with another insult, or personal attack, they're not being clever, mature, or cool? In a word, they're being infantile, a la "I know you are, but what am I?!"

Unlike real life, the game has an "Ignore" feature. Right-click and ignore. Easy-peasy.

I will even be ignoring those on our "side" who volley back and forth with trolls. This is my Saturday and a day to hang out with some of my fellow COH Redeemers... I'm not going to let some immature people ruin that. :)

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 01:01:37 PM »
We're focusing on saving our game, not letting trolls know they exist.

If a troll says something, use the all-powerful-ignore-feature. Then all they can do is look at you and think angry thoughts.
- Omega Mk. V

Steampowered Thund

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 02:28:18 PM »
Yep.  Ignore will come in handy today.
Also, remember the importance of tone.  That was one of my main concerns in posting this.  One troll or one argument under the rest of our chat might not make a big deal.  One person yelling hateful things about NCSoft at the rally also might not make a big deal, but if it escalates, if large groups at the rally get involved, it can become an issue.  If things like that get out of hand it has the potential to damage our campaign at the worst possible time.
That being said, it's also true that there's only so much we can do to curb these issues.  We've got to be in control of ourselves and lead by example.  Be polite, positive, mature, and brief in any necessary interactions with doubters and trolls, and otherwise make use of the ignore feature.  After that I suppose we can only hope others follow suit, and that Massively and any other eyes in the sky get a positive view of our community and our efforts.

Kartanian

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 02:55:59 PM »
One thing that may be helpful to remember is how the chat window will look. Visualize what we want to show in that window. Contribute. Hold your "tongue" to let points be made, then share yours.

My 2 cents' worth.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 03:56:26 PM »
Also remember that Massively will be streaming the event.  So, best behavior, folks.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 05:39:47 PM »
Also remember that Massively will be streaming the event.  So, best behavior, folks.

Are you saying I /shouldn't/ streak, then?
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 05:42:01 PM »
If you do, just make sure you keep yelling "#SaveCOH" as you run through the crowd.  :)

Maybe we should get a few people dressed identically with different letters on their chests to spell out the hashtag.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 06:09:44 PM »
If you do, just make sure you keep yelling "#SaveCOH" as you run through the crowd.  :)

Maybe we should get a few people dressed identically with different letters on their chests to spell out the hashtag.

This!  Brilliant!
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

JustJane

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 06:33:46 PM »
This!  Brilliant!

Love it! I would totally do this as I have to make a toon on Virtue anyway, but I cannot. I have to work. I feel like I have gone AFK with an interface open before and not auto logged. Anyone know for sure? I'd love to be there in virtual spirit!