Author Topic: The SEGS thread.  (Read 28341 times)

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
Re: The SEGS thread.
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 06:06:58 PM »
Precisely. We won't even start implementing any new software until we've thoroughly documented how the client and server communicate with one another.
Do you precisely need to know *how* though, if you're going to rewrite both sides ?
Yeeessss....

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 10:56:24 PM »
To answer your question as it was asked: no.

However, we won't be rewriting the client side.

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 02:44:51 AM »
That's just silly.  No company is going to buy a game just because a few people play on a private server, and NCSoft will sell it to the players if it wants to, regardless of whether we're playing on a private server or not.

Tell that to Vircom. Their MMO game The 4th Coming went through a similar process. The game launched in 1998 and did well for several years. People figured out enough of the backend to emulate T4C sometime in 2002. Vircom sued over it, but as is typical with such things, they couldn't kill it with the code and documentation already 'in the wild.' A couple of years later, in 2004, Vircom shut down T4C in North America (I'm not sure about Europe, but probably there too, even though another company was involved). That opened the doors for emulated servers to start popping up all over the place, so the game retained visibility

So in 2006 Dialsoft saw all those emulated servers as evidence that there was still money to be made from T4C and bought it from Vircom -- their plan being to license official servers as an alternative to the less than perfect emulated ones (fans might even have been shopping the idea around to investors, I don't know). That situation is still live today, though Dialsoft did close the doors on any new server licenses this year.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 05:35:37 AM by Mantic »

TinFoil

• Minion
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 03:34:31 AM »
If there any anything an unskilled troglodyte like myself can do (I've, um, got a powerful computer), please let us know.

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 04:15:16 AM »
If there any anything an unskilled troglodyte like myself can do (I've, um, got a powerful computer), please let us know.

Hadn't even thought of mentioning that. My own computer is a bit of a beast as well, with plenty of idle time for use as a test server or whatever. I also have a much less beastly mac mini lying around I could use to test mac code on if that's needed as well.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

nemerle

• Minion
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 11:17:33 PM »
Do forgive me for not replying faster, the last few days have been a bit busy.

And thank you for your gracious offers of computer power, but right now the test server is living ( and dying :) ) on my dev machine.
If any of you ladies and gents would like to follow current developments, please do hop over our forums for a short visit :)

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
  • A person who does stuff.
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 02:47:13 AM »
Busy is good. Busy is good.
BadWolf: "The point that JaguarX is trying to make, of course, is that City of Heroes is like a tree. And Google is like a Toyota...Corolla...? Which would make NCSoft a trespasser, shot by...um, Mister T...which is good, because diplomacy...?"

The internet is full of Comedy Gold.

Mindscythe

• Lieutenant
  • "Any world is what you make of it."
    • SoR Radio
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 12:41:09 PM »
The site's been down for a few days... any ETA on when it will be back up?
"Radio... Radio... RADIO FREE OPPORTUNITY!"

http://www.profj.org/theradiospeaks/

John Phaser

• Minion
    • CoH Veterans (FR)
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 03:16:49 PM »
Same question here :)

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 04:35:58 PM »
Notta clue.
BadWolf: "The point that JaguarX is trying to make, of course, is that City of Heroes is like a tree. And Google is like a Toyota...Corolla...? Which would make NCSoft a trespasser, shot by...um, Mister T...which is good, because diplomacy...?"

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2012, 05:51:57 AM »
Probably either site updating, moving to another host or currently hiding. Won't be the first time the program was forced into hiding for awhile.

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 05:55:00 AM »
Has anybody been able to contact good sir Nemerle?

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2012, 02:42:07 AM »
If you send him a pm here he should get an email telling him he has a pm here :) Unless he disabled notification emails.

themamboman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2012, 03:14:30 PM »
Every time I've tried recently, his site has been down.  Talking weeks here.  His forum had instruction on how to set up the experimental v0.3 of the segs cox server.  The sourceforge project page only goes up to v0.2. 

I'm hoping this site is back up again soon

http://segs.nemerle.eu/forumz/index.php

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 04:18:32 PM »
Betcha he got a letter from NCsoft.

Such is the way of the Dog in the Manger. No expense will be spared to ensure that no one ever gets to enjoy CoH again. No one. EVER.

Septipheran

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2012, 03:45:55 AM »
I was checking this page regularly also. Worst case scenario as I see it- people from Titan mentioned that they were working with the SEGS crew.

This means that if SEGS got a C&D, we have inherent vessels of communication to let us know the project is canned.

On the OTHER HAND, if they're making serious progress to such an extent that they figured it'd be best to take the site down to PREEMPT a C&D, well now we're talking. Hope my post doesn't blow this (speculative) cover.  :P

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2012, 04:41:14 AM »
Hope my post doesn't blow this (speculative) cover.  :P

*sneaks up behind Septy with duct tape stretched out.*
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

Septipheran

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2012, 06:53:27 AM »
*sneaks up behind Septy with duct tape stretched out.*

Pfft. One does not simply duct tape through Orbiting Death!

Kriiden

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2012, 07:13:17 AM »
Best luck to segs!

In my personal opinion, I believe if a company closes down it's intellectual property, with no intention of gaining more money from it, they shouldn't have a right to be able to prevent other people from enjoying it. I know they "OWN" the Ip according to U.S. (Also assuming Korean) Law, but frankly, it just seems stupid for them to prevent us from enjoying the game.

It's kind of like saying "I don't want this anymore! That means NO ONE can have it!"

If they had future plans for it (which I HIGHLY doubt), then it would be justified. Right now...it's just stupid.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2012, 11:43:50 AM »
A C&D usually doesn't result in pulling the plug on an entire website unless the domain name is infringing too.
If SEGS has gotten a C&D, they would likely put up a notification on that (remember they also had some non-COH project(s?) going) like they did back when SEGS was COHEmu.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.