Author Topic: Announcement: Sentinel+ character extractor available!  (Read 81655 times)

jordanhb

• Underling
Re: Announcement: Sentinel+ character extractor available!
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2012, 12:34:56 AM »
It's probably a long shot, but is there any way we can dump information from a locked character?  I was on a break when the announcement came, and my account had been free to play for a month or so, and now I can't unlock one of my 50s because it's a time manipulation. 

agentq

• Boss
  • Founder of Infinity's Anointed Brotherhood PVP SG
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2012, 12:36:42 AM »
That's unfortunately not an option. No one here has access to Mac development or testing, and none of the Cider stuff has even been investigated. )-:

Guy Perfect's Fundamentals of Computer Programming (GP101) is a difficult course that will turn most of what you know about programming on its head. And to pass the course, you'll have to become proficient in stuff you never thought you'd ever have to learn.

But I suppose if there's enough interest, then arrangements can be made. (-:

I'm assuming you wrote this utility in C? I'm a programmer, know C, and have OSX. If i can get the source, i can try to see about compiling for OSX.

Also, would be interested in what GP101 would cover?

Talos Maltalomar

• Underling
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2012, 12:49:00 AM »
Sentinal is not working for me .     i am useing Vista if that makes a differance ,

here is what i get :

Sentinel+ Extractor v1.0 - 2320.201207182341.1
Titan Network - August 4, 2012

ERROR: Could not retrieve character information.
 * Is City of Heroes running?
 * Is it the right version?
 * Is the character logged in?

Press any key to continue...

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2012, 12:51:37 AM »
If you're running CoH as an administrator, you'll also need to run Sentinel+ as an administrator also so that it can access it. So give that a shot and see if it exports.

jordanhb

• Underling
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2012, 12:59:59 AM »
Oh, one other question too.  Does this record any information about the market?  Current bids or items listed for sale?  I didn't notice anything in the xml file, but I thought I'd ask. 

Talos Maltalomar

• Underling
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2012, 01:06:25 AM »
ty CodeWalker   ran it as admin and also found Vista had Blocked it . it is running now

and also THANKS for this program you are the GURU of the Gurus , you rock.

Mewkychan

• Underling
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2012, 01:17:34 AM »
Looks like it saves EVERYTHING!

Good show!

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2012, 01:28:57 AM »
If i can get the source, i can try to see about compiling for OSX.

The source relies on functions available in the Windows API. It can't be compiled for Mac.

Oh, one other question too.  Does this record any information about the market?  Current bids or items listed for sale?  I didn't notice anything in the xml file, but I thought I'd ask.

The character extractor does not record any information about the consignment. If you have items stored there, you'll need to claim them before exporting your character.

Also, would be interested in what GP101 would cover?

GP101 focuses on how programs are run by the computer's hardware. It stresses implementing solutions intelligently relative to how the CPU will actually carry out the tasks that you give it. Students who pass GP101 will be capable of producing very fast and efficient code, which more often than not also results in small code and simple source files.

On the other hand, the skills you'll learn in GP101 are only marketable in some small corners of the industry. Most employers are looking for programmers who can produce functional code as quickly as possible, since that's where the money is. If that code is inefficient, then so be it. This is a dramatic departure from the concepts taught in GP101, which stresses taking the time to do it right regardless of how long it takes.

But look at it this way... If you pass GP101, you'll be able to take shortcuts later in life if your employer needs you to, but unlike the rest of the programmers in the world, you'll know why it's not the best way to handle things. (-:

Heavy Ion

• Minion
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2012, 01:29:46 AM »
When City of Heroes is saved, we're going to need a lot of RL hero statues erected in Atlas Plaza. Thank you so much for this.

kerensky914

• Underling
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2012, 01:43:05 AM »
Since you said the character has to be logged in, I guess those of us who were on Premium status with many characters locked out are S.O.L.   :'(  :gonk:

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2012, 01:45:15 AM »
Not so fast. Worst-case scenario, there IS the possibility of tracking locked characters by transferring them to the beta server, which is unlocked for everybody. So don't delete your characters, even if you can't log in with them!

Talos Maltalomar

• Underling
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2012, 02:08:38 AM »
ok new error after using this to save f accounts worth of toons  1 more to go , gah altitis hehe.

a new window has opened up and says

Character Snapshot exporter has stopped working and closes the program

Talos Maltalomar

• Underling
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2012, 02:09:34 AM »
5 accounts * lol love typos

Mewkychan

• Underling
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2012, 02:18:38 AM »
When City of Heroes is saved, we're going to need a lot of RL hero statues erected in Atlas Plaza. Thank you so much for this.
I think they'll have to create an entire district just to house all the deserving hero statues!

Sophronisba

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2012, 02:30:57 AM »
If any Mac players live near northeast Tennessee and want to borrow a laptop to run the extractor on, send me a message.

And anyone in the Detroit metro area can message me.

Karzach

• Underling
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2012, 02:36:01 AM »

Guy Perfect's Fundamentals of Computer Programming (GP101) is a difficult course that will turn most of what you know about programming on its head. And to pass the course, you'll have to become proficient in stuff you never thought you'd ever have to learn.

But I suppose if there's enough interest, then arrangements can be made. (-:

Yes please.  Also, much thanks for the character extractor, was not looking forward to having to copy all that info down

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2012, 03:19:39 AM »
Not so fast. Worst-case scenario, there IS the possibility of tracking locked characters by transferring them to the beta server, which is unlocked for everybody. So don't delete your characters, even if you can't log in with them!
wait, what? When did they tell us about THIS?!?!
Speaking of which, does that mean that Sentinel+ reads off of Test/Beta?
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2012, 03:29:19 AM »
Sentinel+ is currently only for the live servers, but it will be for beta if worse comes to worse.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2012, 03:46:23 AM »
When I run it (under Win7 64-bit Professional), I get the 'could not retrieve character data' error, and it asks me if CoH is running and whether I'm logged in.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2012, 03:53:26 AM »
When I run it (under Win7 64-bit Professional), I get the 'could not retrieve character data' error, and it asks me if CoH is running and whether I'm logged in.
I got that error on my first run.  Then I remembered to run it as an admin.  Worked like a charm.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov