Author Topic: About today's Twitch stream...  (Read 10345 times)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
About today's Twitch stream...
« on: September 06, 2012, 09:01:33 AM »
I was not able to watch it, but I have read (from many places) the notes on what was said.  A couple of things...

"Super secret project" that they cannot discuss, but was confirmed terminated?  Very odd.  I can't think of what that could have been.  My boyfriend mentioned CoH2, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering the whole studio was laid off. What could they have been working on that NCsoft doesn't want them talking about presently?  Unless it was that other MMO that was greenlit.

But enough idle speculation (though I do want to hear people's thoughts on it).

My main concern is what the intention of the broadcast was.  Were they addressing the talks Alpha Wolf said they were having?  Are those still going on?  Does anyone know, because I cannot seem to find it.  I have very mixed feelings about what was said.  The glimmer of hope was that they are unwilling to zero out the marketplace in fear of killing the game's income if it's saved.

Anyway, I'm really just trying to understand what they were addressing.  The reason I want to know is because I have been trying to inspire people in-game to be more active in trying to save CoH.  Accurate information is essential as I am clinging to what I know and doing everything I can to avoid spreading rumors.  Highs and lows in morale do not really amount to much.

Edit:  If you have no clue what I'm rambling about, here's a link to some cliffnotes.  Halfway down the page.  Meant to put this in the first draft, sorry.  It's late >.>
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,4877.255.html

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
Re: About today's Twitch stream...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 09:10:17 AM »
I think they just wanted to communicate. What was the point of the previous live streams ? Get a direct interaction with the player. They just answered what they could of what was asked.
Yeeessss....

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 09:13:51 AM »
I think they just wanted to communicate. What was the point of the previous live streams ? Get a direct interaction with the player. They just answered what they could of what was asked.
I must need more sleep.  That's way too obvious, haha.  Yeah I am probably just over-analyzing.  There are just a lot of unknowns right now and every bit of information HAS TO MEAN SOMETHING OR I DIE. 

Guess it's time to smack my head with the morale stick a few more times and see what else I can do :P

Gilliam

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 09:18:46 AM »
i only got the last 30minutes of the broadcast and all i could really get out of it was any time a question came up about NCsoft or whats happening in general was a "No comment" from andy
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

jacknomind

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 11:06:44 AM »
"Super secret project" that they cannot discuss, but was confirmed terminated?  Very odd.  I can't think of what that could have been.  My boyfriend mentioned CoH2, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering the whole studio was laid off. What could they have been working on that NCsoft doesn't want them talking about presently?  Unless it was that other MMO that was greenlit.

It was a second property under development by the Paragon Studios team that used the Cryptic engine.  The general buzz is that it was a new IP, not tied (directly?) to City of Heroes.  However, I remember a few sideways comments by Arcanaville over the past few months that sort of hinted that either CoH2 or a major revamp to CoH's engine were under development.  (I might be able to dig up sources for this stuff but it would take a while -- for the moment I'm vouching that this is all either dev-sourced or Arcana-sourced comments I've read myself.)

NCSoft still retains the right to continue development of this project or (much more likely) re-use the existing work elsewhere.  There is no cost to them to keep it confidential and no benefit to them to release it, but it may benefit them not to.  Hence the continued NDA.

My main concern is what the intention of the broadcast was.

Zwillinger wants to keep the community together.  This is directly beneficial to what we want here, and he's openly positive about our efforts to legally continue CoH in some form.  It's also beneficial to the developers since they can point to the size of the community that they're going to be bringing with them to any new jobs.  Everybody wins.

Anyway, I'm really just trying to understand what they were addressing.  The reason I want to know is because I have been trying to inspire people in-game to be more active in trying to save CoH.  Accurate information is essential as I am clinging to what I know and doing everything I can to avoid spreading rumors.  Highs and lows in morale do not really amount to much.

We're less than one week into a three-month period that may well end in a total loss on CoH and complete dispersement of Paragon Studios.  The very best thing you can do for morale is, rather than telling people to "save the game" (when we don't know exactly what that's going to entail), showing people how you enjoy the game.  More fun = more interest = more hope.

Make lots of videos, post screenshots to any gaming site that will take them, have a blast as LOUDLY as you can.

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 11:27:16 AM »
Zwillinger wants to keep the community together.  This is directly beneficial to what we want here, and he's openly positive about our efforts to legally continue CoH in some form.  It's also beneficial to the developers since they can point to the size of the community that they're going to be bringing with them to any new jobs.  Everybody wins.

That was my thought--it was the normal day and time for a Coffee Talk anyway, and the appearance of normalcy is critical at this point. We don't need people panicked; we need them with quiet resolve, because that's what it's going to take--for them and for us.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 11:36:31 AM »
Yeah, the Non-Disclosure Agreements are in full effect, so Zwill & whoever's left are even less free to talk about Behind the Scenes stuff than before. Fine-tuning my antennae to pick up hints & suggestions, though, I couldn't help noticing a couple of points:

1) No official* denouncement of the rumor that Paragon Studios Management (whoever that is at this point... War Witch & Posi, I'd guess) and some backers are negotiating with NCsoft. Zwill's cautioned us not to get our hopes up or read too much into this, of course, and rightly so... but at least he's not saying "Folks, it's over, they're burying the game, let it go".

2) They will not be setting items in the live Market to a price of zero points (as they are in Beta)... "just in case". I'm curious as to whether this is an order that came down from NCsoft; if they're interested in selling the existing, ongoing game (not just the IP & engine), it would be good not to have the in-game economy utterly ravaged. Also, it might be hard attracting newbies to a game where ALL EXISTING PLAYERS are Purpled-n-PvP'd out Incarnate Gods with storage bins full of Ultra Rare Everything. Slight intimidation factor, there... like a brand-new rookie hero suddenly finding himself stranded in Asgard or New Genesis.

Hoping against hope, then hoping some more,
The Copper Cockroach

*Not entirely sure how "official" Zwill is; I'm not even clear on whether he's still being paid! If he's doing this stuff on a volunteer basis, I propose he be given a statue (of the character "Zwillinger" of course) either in the revived game or CoH2.

TinFoil

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 01:17:27 PM »
I watched the YouTube replay of yesterday's Coffee Talk. There was no hidden message or surprise news outside of the fact that it seems the Paragon Studios staff seems to be supporting NCSoft. Zwillinger was very quick to come to their defense and talked about how they were holding job fairs constantly for all the employees. NCSoft is a business and while I hate how they just dropped the team with no warning at all, I do respect that they're trying to do right by helping with finding these folks new positions (even if it is so they don't have to pay their unemployment).

I'm sure there are more vengeful ex-employees out there, Zwillinger really tried to put a positive spin on the situation -- just like a good community manager should.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 01:53:30 PM »
*Not entirely sure how "official" Zwill is; I'm not even clear on whether he's still being paid! If he's doing this stuff on a volunteer basis, I propose he be given a statue (of the character "Zwillinger" of course) either in the revived game or CoH2.

Keeping in mind that I do not have any proof of this, my gut feeling based on his reactions is that Andy Belford is still employed by NCSoft for now and has been given the unenviable task of overseeing the deorbit of the the community and in part, the studio.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »
Keeping in mind that I do not have any proof of this, my gut feeling based on his reactions is that Andy Belford is still employed by NCSoft for now and has been given the unenviable task of overseeing the deorbit of the the community and in part, the studio.
I thought this was the case of all community managers and general upper Paragon Studio management, only the small code/graphics monkeys and support staff had been fired, the others have a severance agreement until the Date(tm).
Yeeessss....

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 08:19:36 PM »
I am pretty sure he specifically said at one point that he is no longer employed by Paragon, and that he was doing this on his own time. I may be confusing who said what, though, because while I in theory saw the whole broadcast, in practice I was doing emails and other desk work while it played.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 09:03:40 PM »
I am pretty sure he specifically said at one point that he is no longer employed by Paragon, and that he was doing this on his own time. I may be confusing who said what, though, because while I in theory saw the whole broadcast, in practice I was doing emails and other desk work while it played.

I thought it was Aeon who said that, but could be mistaken.

jacknomind

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 09:15:56 PM »
As far as I can tell, Zwillinger still works there and so do a few other people, like the publishing director he was with.  Hit Streak apparently does not, based on comments he was making in the chat prior to the start of the video.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 09:21:11 PM »
As far as I can tell, Zwillinger still works there and so do a few other people, like the publishing director he was with.  Hit Streak apparently does not, based on comments he was making in the chat prior to the start of the video.
If a few of them still work there, perhaps keeping the game open with a skeleton crew for maintenance isn't an entirely unrealistic idea.  There are some problems with that, such as retaining interest.  But it's something I suppose.

Zwillinger

• Underling
  • Paragon Studios Community Manager
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 02:15:25 AM »
I've been affected like everyone else. There is a small contingent whom they've asked to hut down the services. I'm not sure yet if I will be amongst that group or not.

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 02:27:47 AM »
In case I don't ever get a chance to say it again...

Thank you for taking on this task with poise and grace, Zwil.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

cybermitheral

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 03:11:34 AM »
Hail the almighty "Z"

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 03:28:26 AM »
Nice, Zwill is a Titan!  I just wish we could get some sort of hint from Paragon employees(current or former) as to just what route we should direct our energy and effort from someone who might know something...without breaking any of their rules.

Zwillinger

• Underling
  • Paragon Studios Community Manager
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 03:38:11 AM »
Legally there's nothing I can say either in support or defense of your current efforts aside from the fact that we're extremely humbled and grateful for all of the support everyone has shown.

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 03:40:06 AM »
FPARN...sorry had to.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 03:47:14 AM »
Legally there's nothing I can say either in support or defense of your current efforts aside from the fact that we're extremely humbled and grateful for all of the support everyone has shown.
You just keep doing what you can from where you are, limited though it may be.  We'll keep fighting for you guys out here.  The position you're in right now can't be an easy one.

Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 03:51:44 AM »
Hey Zwill, If you're still here reading, I am currently on Virtue on a lvl 49.4 tank.  I would be honored to ding 50 with you on my team.  Want to run an ITF?  Character's name is Zehro.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 05:08:10 AM »
Oh hey there Zwill.
Didn't realize you popped in :P  I understand your position and thanks for letting us all know.

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 12:28:54 PM »

Zwillinger, you and all of the Paragon Studios crew have supported us in ways you might not ever know.

We're just repaying you.

And I, for one, respect your position and we all would do well to remember it, not placing Andy (or anybody who decides to interact with us) in an awkward position.

We've trusted them to give us one helluva game. They need to be able to trust us now.