Author Topic: YouTube and social media  (Read 2982 times)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
YouTube and social media
« on: September 05, 2012, 11:35:27 PM »
I'm sure we all know what YouTube is.  If you don't, uh, well... *ahem*.  Anyways, I have been talking to a few others and decided to proceed with making a very simple video talking about City of Heroes, what it means to me and what others can do to help save it.  Now, I'm not exactly a professional YouTuber.  But it turns out that it's pretty easy to talk into a webcam for a few minutes and hit upload!  Which is where my expertise ends.  If I knew how to edit extensively or had the time to learn, I would.  Until then, this will do.

Here's a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-kCP-igzdg&feature=youtu.be

IT IS CURRENTLY "UNLISTED".  Therefore, only those with this link can view it.  So I'm looking for feedback.  Not on my hair or my choice of tank top, but on any -glaring- omissions or oversights.  Barring any of those, I'll mark it as listed and begin sharing it, tweeting, blah blah blah.

More importantly, I am asking all of YOU to do the same.  Not many people are going to see my video.  But a wave of "Save CoH" videos has the potential to make an impact.  Social media is a powerful thing!  So make some videos.  Trust me, it's not hard.  If you don't have a webcam or aren't comfortable sharing your angel faces, make something else.  Slideshow, etc.  Anything works, just get a video up there! 

If/when you do make something.  Share it somewhere on this forum, in game, on the official boards, everywhere you can think of.  That way we can share your video(s) too.  If we get enough of these out there, it'll make a splash.  Promise.  If people are warm enough to this idea, one of the admins may want to consider stickying this post (though the sticky list is getting long, so I understand if that's not the best idea).

One last note.  YouTube is useful for more than just uploading a video.  Getting a -real- YouTuber behind our cause would be EXTREMEMLY beneficial.  So if you know anyone who regularly posts to YouTube, approach them about helping us out.  It's akin to getting celebrity help in YouTube circles.  Most YouTubers are well-versed in social media, so any involvement on their part can have a chain reaction on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, etc.  So get out there!

That is all.

Soundtrack

• Boss
Re: YouTube and social media
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 11:59:05 PM »
Very good video. You did yourself proud. :)

And just to think... you might have some superheroes that are older than your driver's license. That's saying something! ;)

(I wish I could say that! LOL)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 12:31:53 AM »
Haha, I have many characters older than my driver's license seeing as I
got it when I was 18.

Anyways, thank you!

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
    • Repeat Offenders Network - Making the stupidly difficult easy since 2005
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 12:34:33 AM »
Okay I say this knowing how difficult it is to be in front of a camera and talking to it.  Please take this as constructive criticism and not just bashing. I think what you're saying is awesome and I want people to know how passionate you are about your game.

Say who you are (your first name) and what server you play on and perhaps your global name.  - The audience doesn't know who you are.

Please write down what you're going to say and practice it. This will get rid of the "umms" and the "ahhs". 

You need a bit more expressiveness in your vocal tones.  -  Emotion in your voice is okay and it makes people relate to you.

It's okay to smile when remember the fun times.

Try and keep the message under 3 mins, 1 min -2 mins max if possible.  (Removing lots of the filler words will help shave off time)

If you have a CoH shirt or something (box of the game..poster etc) please put that on or in the background.  - Or wear a RED or BLUE shirt.

Also please provide closed caption script for those folks who are hearing impaired.

Add the annotations or put the link information in the outtro.

This was a great beginning and I know it took nerves to do so.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:39:43 AM by Altoholic Monkey »

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 12:36:52 AM »
Testimonials are nice, and it's a good one. Am I the only one who thinks it should play more like a trailer for a summer blockbuster? We're fighting for a city in peril, after all.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 12:47:55 AM »
Okay I say this knowing how difficult it is to be in front of a camera and talking to it.  Please take this as constructive criticism and not just bashing. I think what you're saying is awesome and I want people to know how passionate you are about your game.

Say who you are (your first name) and what server you play on and perhaps your global name.  - The audience doesn't know who you are.

Please write down what you're going to say and practice it. This will get rid of the "umms" and the "ahhs". 

You need a bit more expressiveness in your vocal tones.  -  Emotion in your voice is okay and it makes people relate to you.

It's okay to smile when remember the fun times.

Try and keep the message under 3 mins, 1 min -2 mins max if possible.  (Removing lots of the filler words will help shave off time)

If you have a CoH shirt or something (box of the game..poster etc) please put that on or in the background.  - Or wear a RED or BLUE shirt.

Also please provide closed caption script for those folks who are hearing impaired.

Add the annotations or put the link information in the outtro.

This was a great beginning and I know it took nerves to do so.

Thank you.

Since I lack editing skills, I did try to eliminate ah's and ums as much as possible.  I have a written guideline but tried to stay away from reading it directly as it further detracted from an sort of emotion.  I'd rather avoid appearing as scripted over unemotional.  Nevertheless, I'll give it a go.  I don't have any Cities swag, sadly.  But I may have a shirt that works as a next best choice.  I'll give it another go and post here after I upload it.