Author Topic: Figure Print Process [Arcanaville]  (Read 62387 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: Figure Print Process [Arcanaville]
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2015, 05:55:41 PM »
I hate to thread necro, I really do, but since this one has already been started and it is still relevant and in depth I really don't see why I'd need to start anew.

Has anyone tinkered much with 3d capture programs?

is there any new light to be shed in this endeavor?

OGLE was capturing the models directly from the game as it rendered it in OpenGL, so a 3D capture program wasn't necessary to do any of the stuff in this thread.  What some people were doing was taking the raw captures and importing them into 3D modeling programs to do things like smooth some parts out that were jagged or had details that would not render properly in a 3D printer.

I personally haven't done a lot since this thread, but I know the state of the art in 3D printing even for hobbyists has advanced significantly in terms of maximum detail printable.  Two to three times the detail I was getting is now typical.

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2015, 02:28:11 AM »
I was experiencing problems with OGLE generating zero length files upon capture.

It came to light much later that my nvidia card doesn't play well with capturing any type of geometry. -switched to onboard video, problem solved.

I was wondering if there were any other programs that people might be using for geometry capture. I guess not.

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2015, 02:32:03 AM »
Nifty. I'm interested as well. Two-Plus years of printing improvements as well (I'd think). Any idea of the cost?

100$  for a standard character. (8 feet = 8 inches)

Custom jobs will be more depending on the complexity and joint assignment.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2015, 04:50:26 AM »
No color or icon details, correct? I think the chest emblem lighting bolt floats an inch off the chest.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2015, 09:09:27 AM »
I was experiencing problems with OGLE generating zero length files upon capture.

It came to light much later that my nvidia card doesn't play well with capturing any type of geometry. -switched to onboard video, problem solved.

I was wondering if there were any other programs that people might be using for geometry capture. I guess not.

I'm unaware of any.  Actually, I had to resurrect Ogle itself from the grave, because it was not being actively developed at the time and it was almost impossible to find in the first place, as were any solid instructions on how to use it.

Whether it works or not has a lot to do with the OpenGL implementation, and often a simpler (and frankly slower) implementation often works better.

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2015, 09:31:08 AM »
Blank slate, No colors, details depend upon geometry.

That lightning bolt emblem sounds like a particle effect. Floaty lighting details on costume pieces usually are.

It would show up as a cube like structure, a workaround would be a good screenie of the costume piece, that would help me "add lib" something of its shape into place.

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2015, 09:46:07 AM »
I'm unaware of any.  Actually, I had to resurrect Ogle itself from the grave, because it was not being actively developed at the time and it was almost impossible to find in the first place, as were any solid instructions on how to use it.

Whether it works or not has a lot to do with the OpenGL implementation, and often a simpler (and frankly slower) implementation often works better.

I thank you for that resurrection. Your actions are heroic. Everything about Ogle is a priceless treasure. I'm going to build it a shrine.

Ogle works works perfectly with coh demos, works with diablo and starcraft2.

I haven't tested other video cards yet. I've got my eye on ATI next.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2015, 05:02:04 PM »
You're getting empty files on NVidia due to the addition of ShadowPlay in the drivers. I don't know exactly why, but it breaks OGLE.
Or at least something added at the exact same time as ShadowPlay.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

MysticKitten

• Underling
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2016, 04:35:54 PM »
You're getting empty files on NVidia due to the addition of ShadowPlay in the drivers. I don't know exactly why, but it breaks OGLE.
Or at least something added at the exact same time as ShadowPlay.

Is there a way to disable Shadowplay?  I'm getting 0kb .obj files when I try and capture from either the server or a demorecord, and I'd really love to be able to do a print of my old characters.

Canine

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2016, 10:54:04 PM »
I don't know if anyone's tried this route, but there's been a tiny part at the back of my brain has been wondering if loading a custom demorecord file in, pausing playback, taking a load of screens from multiple angles and then feeding them to a photogrammetry program like Autodesk 123D (http://www.123dapp.com/catch) might be a way of getting geometry and textures out in a usable form?

And regarding shadowplay, yes, it should be pretty straightforward to disable, open up "nVidia GeForce Experience" (horrible names R us (tm)), Click the Shadowplay button at the top right of the wondow, and click the big power button.

If it's already off, then nVidia must be doing something funky, so uninstalling GeForce Experience, and maybe rolling back to an old, OLD version of the drivers could be required.

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2016, 09:01:20 PM »
I'm going to try a  few things in regards to  Geforce settings for capture. Switching to my onboard gets the job done and capture works with Paragon chat flawlessly.

I should also point out that the huge male mesh is completed.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2016, 03:34:52 AM »
Is that... articulated? How did you do that?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2016, 03:41:12 AM »
Looks like pin joints.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2016, 04:24:45 AM »
Sure, but I meant how did the CoH model, which I thought was a solid piece, get split up into parts with such precision that they could be fitted together in a moving joint.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2016, 06:55:36 AM »
Presumably in model editing software like Zbrush. You literally cannot take CoH's models and print them directly from the game, you'd get a pile of crap trying to pass as a Picasso.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2016, 07:46:21 AM »
Sure, but I meant how did the CoH model, which I thought was a solid piece, get split up into parts with such precision that they could be fitted together in a moving joint.

I'd say much if not most of what you're looking at is MH's work in a 3d editor, using the CoH model as a base.  Quite impressive.

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2016, 02:45:06 PM »
Is that... articulated? How did you do that?

Fully articulated.

Before sunset I was running with "a crew" and we stumbled on the original thread of 3d capture. We went around capturing from other games as well, just for fun.

Sunset hit and life swept me away. Eventually life sort of stabilized so I thought to just tinker with the models. 3d -printing- wasn't much of a thing back then.

A couple of years ago I lucked out and got an Afinia. Iv'e been working (when I can) on translating what models I had images of. Demo records worked as well.

The real kicker was when Paragon chat came into being. With that I have a way to capture, translate and print poseable action figures.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 02:58:38 PM by Mister Hassenpheffer »

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2016, 02:47:06 PM »

Engineering

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2016, 03:00:05 PM »
I'd say much if not most of what you're looking at is MH's work in a 3d editor, using the CoH model as a base.  Quite impressive.

Thank you!

This entire project has been a compromise of what is and is not possible.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2016, 04:46:12 PM »
I figured that was what happened. Now would you have to do that same "engineering" for every costume piece, or is that work easily translatable if you put (for example) a jacket on the huge model?