Author Topic: Forty new citizens of Paragon a semester :)  (Read 3189 times)

Mindscythe

• Lieutenant
  • "Any world is what you make of it."
    • SoR Radio
Forty new citizens of Paragon a semester :)
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:31:02 PM »
I already posted this in the testimonials thread, but it was suggested to me that I should make it its own, so I hope no one minds. :)

Hi, I'm Mindscythe, and I'm a CoH Lifer since about three months after launch. Never unsubbed, never stopped playing, never stopped paying, even created a second account (also VIP) a few years back.

When I'm not running around as a crimson-clad magic mind controller, I'm a professor at Central Michigan University, where I teach our introductory web design for electronic media class. Currently, I have two sections, a Monday-Wednesday class and a Tuesday-Thursday class. Although I helped write the course many years back, this is my first time teaching it.

Week 1 is all about Computer-Mediated Communication (CMC) theory, talking about virtual identity, community, and culture. This is right up my alley, since that's what my doctoral dissertation was about. In week 3, the students get assigned an exercise that asks them to explore an online community, participate, and write a short (3-5 pages) paper on their experience when the week is over.

Long before the NCsoft announcement, I knew I'd love to send my students into Paragon and let them experience the same virtual community I've come to love and call home. That was an easy decision. Getting the college computer techs to install a "game program" on the computers in the lab I teach in, on the other hand, wasn't, but I convinced them. And this week...

The Monday-Wednesday class, day 1.

The Tuesday-Thursday class, day 1.

The Monday-Wednesday class, day 2.

The Tuesday-Thursday class, day 2.

I'm not ashamed to say that I teared up just a little taking the Day 1 pictures. And it was wonderful to see comments in the main Pinnacle channel like "Why are their *20* level 2's running around AP?" yesterday. The veterans on Pinnacle have also been really wonderful about coming out, talking to the students, taking them exploring, etc. I love my drunk server. :)

And best of all, I've already gotten requests from students for the client so they can install the game at home. Fortunately, I have copies of both that I can give them (I've archived both clients on the class website for them).

So there are forty new citizens of Paragon, some of whom will stick around after the exercise is over. And next semester, gods-willing, there will be forty more. And forty more every semester after that. All they need is a game to log into.

#SaveCoH
"Radio... Radio... RADIO FREE OPPORTUNITY!"

http://www.profj.org/theradiospeaks/

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
Re: Forty new citizens of Paragon a semester :)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:37:31 PM »
This has got to be the coolest thing I've seen in a classroom.  I'd kill for a class like this at my school.  Well done, professor!

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 10:03:25 PM »
I saw this on facebook and i live near that school. I actually might be taking some bio classes there next semister. Kinda bummed at the thought i might not get to take this class...i didn't know it existed.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 10:39:40 PM »
It's on Macs?  I have one friend who bought a Mac a year ago and has never gotten the game to run correctly, though he refuses to try Bootcamp and XP.

It is a great social interaction study, more so than Second Life, tho that's a biased, unscientific opinion. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Lydiastar

• Minion
  • @Syntaxically on twitter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 11:29:40 PM »
Wow. awesome.

CMKook

• Lieutenant
    • My DA Page
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 11:35:09 PM »
this is so cool!I hope your students are enjoying the game and the community :)

rzzz_2000

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 11:40:01 PM »
whoa, ProfJ really IS a mind controller ;)

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 11:49:18 PM »
The world needs more classes like this...
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

Lithy

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 11:49:32 PM »
Too cool for school!

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 09:03:22 AM »
I see one of them has found Matthew Habashi! :p