Author Topic: Needed: News media expertise  (Read 18488 times)

jacknomind

• Boss
Re: Needed: News media expertise
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2012, 09:16:51 AM »
Okay okay okay this is like, super-exciting.  We need the following things:

• A worthy (and visible) cause in Seattle.  Bonus points the closer it is to NCSoft West's offices.
  • 50-100 (or more, more is always good) locals to volunteer their time.
  • An event runner.  Local's better but if we can dig up a pro, I am certain we can scrape together the money to put them on-site from anywhere in the country.
  • CoH/Titan T-Shirts, press release handouts, and possibly some other "brand" paraphernalia.
  • The endorsement of Real World Hero.
We don't need to disguise the fact that this is a form of protest -- making it seem like a completely unmotivated event would just be obviously dishonest -- but this is a great opportunity to wear the soles out of "We're heroes; It's what we do."  And people *all over* NA can blitz the local stations to get some coverage... although it's just a waste of their time if we don't give them something to watch.

And if we can do *multiple* events... woofreakinhoo!

Please tell me we've got a Coordinator near Seattle.  I am way on the other side of the country and there's no way I can get out of work long enough for something like this but oh MAN it's such a good opportunity...

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2012, 09:25:22 AM »
I only wish I was up near Seattle!  But I know people from there, thanks to school.  I'll see if I can come up with anyone who has ever played City of Heroes, but I promise nothing. 

jacknomind

• Boss
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2012, 09:55:15 AM »
If you can instead come up with people who are willing to wear CoH t-shirts, do charity work, and... can we arrange food for these people?  I'm pretty sure we can arrange food.  We'll need to run a little fundraiser for this but it shouldn't be too bad.

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
  • A worthy (and visible) cause in Seattle.  Bonus points the closer it is to NCSoft West's offices.

My first thought, if we need more than 50 people? Someone should dredge Facebook for accounts near Seattle that have ties to CoH. If we can get high buy-in from those people, we can get that real-world event we so desperately need if we're going to break in to mainstream media.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2012, 12:23:40 PM »
Makes me wish I lived near Seattle :)
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2012, 12:30:11 PM »
Doing a search for "Seattle-based charities" I came across this:

"Friends of Youth" - http://www.friendsofyouth.org/

It seems like a very worthwhile cause, helping homeless youth get off the streets and into foster homes.

A possible slogan of ours could be: "The heroes of today lending a hand to the heroes of tomorrow."

Just an idea... I'll keep searching. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another youth-based cause: http://www.communityforyouth.org/

This organization helps high-schoolers get direction in their lives, it seems.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - http://www.lls.org/#/aboutlls/chapters/wa/events/

Well-known organization

The NOAH Animal Adoption cause - http://www.thenoahcenter.org/

Possible slogan: "Not all heroes have only two legs." or "Heroes come in all varieties - even four-legged ones!" or "Two-legged heroes helping four-legged heroes."

Powerful Schools - http://powerfulschools.org/

"Superpowers helping super powers."
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 12:39:49 PM by Soundtrack »

jacknomind

• Boss
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2012, 09:31:48 PM »
So... I hate to say this, but we need an event.  We can get in touch with those charities to see what might be useful to them, but they mostly look like things that need expert assistance -- counseling, education, veterinarian... etc.  I was thinking something more like a Walk for X type event or Habitat for Humanity.

Lionors

• Underling
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2012, 04:40:38 AM »
Tony,

I used to be a radio reporter, both for several commercial stations and for a couple of NPR stations.  It's been a while, so I don't have any current contacts, but I can give you an idea of who to direct information to and what type of information's most likely to get aired.

One idea re: some of the suggestions that have been floating around.  Halloween's coming up.  Most stations will be doing something for Halloween.  Anything which could tie into Halloween, involve costumes *and* a protest event would have a pretty good chance of catching attention.  I know that's a while out, but it would probably take a bit of time to organize well, anyway. 

PMing you in case you think I can be of any help. :)

~Elizabeth

Plinkyplonk

• Minion
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2012, 06:50:15 AM »
I have been sending regular updates to the BBC program Click,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/

The have always covered gaming news and in the past have favoured unique and quirky games news. No idea if they will cover it yet but they have the latest.

EDIT - it can't hurt if many more email   click@bbc.co.uk   They usually take notice of a campaign more than an individual.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 06:58:11 AM by Plinkyplonk »

Khamya9

• Underling
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2012, 07:52:07 PM »
I'd like to reach out to the local Hawaii news. David Nakamura is from Hawaii and they cover sports and politicians who moved out of state as if they are still local news out here. And if needed, I am only partly employed, and right outside Honolulu so I can physically walk into the Hawaii News Now office and hand them something during business hours =)

Is there someone I can talk to on say this Weds to put together a letter or whatnot? I'd love to do it sooner but I'm slammed until then.

-----
@Gavin Runeblade

LtlBtyRam

• Minion
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2012, 09:41:18 AM »
Okay okay okay this is like, super-exciting.  We need the following things:

• An event runner.  Local's better but if we can dig up a pro, I am certain we can scrape together the money to put them on-site from anywhere in the country.
  • CoH/Titan T-Shirts, press release handouts, and possibly some other "brand" paraphernalia.
  • The endorsement of Real World Hero.
We don't need to disguise the fact that this is a form of protest -- making it seem like a completely unmotivated event would just be obviously dishonest -- but this is a great opportunity to wear the soles out of "We're heroes; It's what we do."  And people *all over* NA can blitz the local stations to get some coverage... although it's just a waste of their time if we don't give them something to watch.

And if we can do *multiple* events... woofreakinhoo!

Please tell me we've got a Coordinator near Seattle.  I am way on the other side of the country and there's no way I can get out of work long enough for something like this but oh MAN it's such a good opportunity...

I'm about an hour south of Seattle and was already talking with someone else in the area about coordinating something so I guess the person you're looking for is me.  (....now what am I getting myself into?......) lol

Angela
aka @Ventus vis Vires on Triumph

Edit: I don't have any media expertise, or media contacts, or event running.  I am willing to do whatever I can.   I do have some group coordination experience so I hope it will help.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 09:58:05 AM by LtlBtyRam »

jacknomind

• Boss
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2012, 11:10:12 AM »
I don't know yet, Ram.  It's hard to keep on top of things right now.

Hmm.  Short version : Keep working with your friend.  Use the Where are you? post to try and find other nearby players.  Keep in touch.  You have any contacts inside Fusion Force?

LtlBtyRam

• Minion
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2012, 09:01:57 PM »
I don't know yet, Ram.  It's hard to keep on top of things right now.

Hmm.  Short version : Keep working with your friend.  Use the Where are you? post to try and find other nearby players.  Keep in touch.  You have any contacts inside Fusion Force?

I think I've made some acquaintances with the Fusion Force.

jacknomind

• Boss
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2012, 12:13:27 AM »
If you can get Em (Emerald Fusion) to ask for Seattle residents, it should be a big boost.  They aren't all still in CoH, but I think they'll be willing.  If you can't get ahold of him let me know and I'll see if I can dredge him up.

opprime2828

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2012, 09:57:32 PM »
OK, I have two degrees in professional/business/technical writing and currently teach some film and TV production classes so I'll help in any way I can.  Especially on the writing front.

On thing I was thinking is that we REALLY need to appeal to the players of other MMOs, but the question is, how?

I think someone with connections to some of the better media outlets for MMOs (or knows of outlets that allow for article submissions) needs to write an article about "Here's why NCsoft's decision to shut down City of heroes matters to YOU."  Explain the way it was done, with people being charged the renewal fees and buying paragon points the same DAY the shutdown was announced. Explain how there was no effort on NCsoft's part to recognize the value the characters of paragon had to their customers, and has been no clear explanation of how the closure process will work. Explain that just two weeks before the announcement a new powerset had been released and only available -through purchase-.  Explain how City of Heroes was actually still profitable, and up until the day of the announcement, was advertising a "soon to be released" expansion which users were spending hours helping beta test.  Then, explain the state of MMOs across the industry, most of which are in similar situations, all of which have EULAs that likely let their parent companies close down the same way NCsoft did.  Make them all just a -little- bit nervous that the precedent being set is one they SHOULD be unhappy about.  That their game -their characters- could be next.

If you can aim the article more specifically, at least at some point, at other NCSoft MMO players, you might even hit home more.

Once this is personal to people outside the CoH community, you might start to see a little more pressure mount.  Just my 2 cents.

Also, check out the guys at Revision3.com  Especially the Totally Rad show and a couple others.  Those guys are just the kinds of guys who would eat this story up. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 10:04:10 PM by opprime2828 »

MagickBear1

• Underling
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2012, 10:53:17 PM »
has anyone thought to give Kevin smith a chat up and see if he would help us out well if not then i would like to suggest that we start sending him some Email's and see if he would lend us a hand....

here are some place of his we can send emails to...

https://www.facebook.com/huluspoilers

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jay-and-Silent-Bob/223122521078506

https://www.facebook.com/YesThatKevinSmith

http://smodcast.com/people/kevin-smith/

https://www.facebook.com/ComicBookMenAMC

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2012, 11:09:34 PM »
has anyone thought to give Kevin smith a chat up and see if he would help us out well if not then i would like to suggest that we start sending him some Email's and see if he would lend us a hand....

here are some place of his we can send emails to...

I might recommend only hitting one of those--we don't want to be annoying. In fact, we can make a bigger statement if those contacting Mr. Smith would agree to do so via the same channel.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2012, 11:14:42 PM »
I might recommend only hitting one of those--we don't want to be annoying. In fact, we can make a bigger statement if those contacting Mr. Smith would agree to do so via the same channel.
I've already seen a number of tweets directed his way.  No responses that I'm aware of.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov