Author Topic: Call to Action: Thank the media  (Read 220555 times)

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
Re: Call to Action: Thank the media
« Reply #280 on: September 27, 2012, 11:22:25 PM »
Just so long as you can still warn folks of the vicious bunnies in the cave, you can call yourself whatever you wish. :D
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #281 on: September 28, 2012, 02:04:11 AM »
Just so long as you can still warn folks of the vicious bunnies in the cave, you can call yourself whatever you wish. :D

I may just let Massively warn us of the bunnies. They catch wind of everything real quick. First to report on the latest SaveCoH breaking news yet again!

"Save CoH movement invites NCsoft execs to play, petition passes 20,000 signatures"

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/27/save-coh-movement-sends-letters-to-ncsoft-executives-petition-p/

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #283 on: September 28, 2012, 01:48:08 PM »
This isn't directly related, but I get the feeling it was inspired by some of the legal discussions here and by what's going on in Sunset.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Rae

• Elite Boss
--
@Vandellia

Maressa

• Boss
« Reply #285 on: September 28, 2012, 05:51:42 PM »
I've updated the Media Coverage Spreadsheet with everything that has been posted so far and included two more which talk about the dinner and the Extra Life Event which was just announced earlier today:

http://www.onrpg.com/MMO/World-of-Warcraft/news/OnRPG-Shotgun-News-928-TSW-Valve-End-of-Nations-and-Much-More
http://www.onrpg.com/MMO/City-of-Heroes/news/City-of-Heroes-Dev-Dinner-Made-Reality

And a link to the spreadsheet just in case:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjrAo1HdYNiddGFha0dnTzF3OEE2Nm4wUlRwSWlMRmc

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:22:56 PM by rae »
--
@Vandellia

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:19:33 PM by rae »
--
@Vandellia

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #288 on: September 29, 2012, 06:44:34 PM »
I hope "little ray of sunshine" was meant to be sarcastic...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #289 on: September 29, 2012, 10:58:22 PM »
I hope "little ray of sunshine" was meant to be sarcastic...

Oh my,  yes.
--
@Vandellia

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #290 on: September 30, 2012, 02:49:37 PM »
http://tobolds.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/not-quite-super-heroic.html

Snarky blogger alert.

Are bloggers usually this snarky and I just haven't noticed?
--
@Vandellia

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #291 on: September 30, 2012, 03:18:56 PM »
Are bloggers usually this snarky and I just haven't noticed?

Without speaking to the content of any one blog... People love to run things down on the internet. It's rare to see positivity, like the kind we're putting on display, showcased at all. I was just commenting to a friend the other day that Metal Gear Solid 2's prediction--that the internet would devolve into a group of closed communities that only cast their offal back into the larger forums--was downright prescient.

This, of course, makes it twice as important that we maintain a positive public face at all times--even here, because it's the internet and people can follow us home.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #292 on: September 30, 2012, 03:36:07 PM »
It's rare to see positivity, like the kind we're putting on display, showcased at all.

I'm not to worried about these kinds of posts.  It's human nature to want to be on the winning team.  The odds are stacked against us, and they don't want to bet on the long shot.  On August 31, it seemed impossible to do what we're trying to do.  Sitting around and saying, "Yeah, the game is doomed," is easy because then on December 1, they can sit around and say, "See?  I told you so," and they think they look really smart.  Even if we're successful, they'll sit around and say, "Even though I said I thought it was doomoed, I was hoping that they'd save it, so that makes me kind of right in a way."

The thing is, nobody will remember them.  When was the last time you read an article about something shutting down and a scrappy group of people saying, "Yeah, it's over with," and being right about it, yay them?  Whether we win or lose, one thing I can guarantee you is that that blog post will have long since faded into obscurity and no one will remember it.  The people who are standing with us, who are working hard to save the game, they will be the ones who people remember.  This blog post, for example, will be remembered for years.  This video is eternal.

So hey, if people want to write about how doomed we are, more power to them.  It just makes our fight that much more important, and makes victory that much sweeter.

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #293 on: September 30, 2012, 04:44:13 PM »
Sheesh, Tony. You had me at 'I'm' ;)
--
@Vandellia

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #294 on: September 30, 2012, 04:57:59 PM »
In some cases, negativity is expected. I can't hunt through the videos, right now, because I'm supposed to be working, but, in one of his early videos, "Yahtzee" Croshaw actually liked a game. The fan backlash was whiny and swift, apparently.

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #295 on: September 30, 2012, 05:19:50 PM »
In some cases, negativity is expected. I can't hunt through the videos, right now, because I'm supposed to be working, but, in one of his early videos, "Yahtzee" Croshaw actually liked a game. The fan backlash was whiny and swift, apparently.

That was the Bioshock review, as I recall. But, yes, it's de rigueur for the internet to be negative. Which is unfortunate: criticism and negativity have their place, but so do praise and positivity. We could probably do with more of the last two and less of the first two. It seems to me that we're often in such a hurry to prove ourselves right (and therefore smart or clever) that we lose sight of what's more important: saying something meaningful and having a positive impact.

In other words, I watch both Yahtzee's video and the Extra Credits video each week to try to maintain balance. :)
@Vulpy
Protector Server

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #296 on: September 30, 2012, 05:41:52 PM »
I don't usually need balance.  The more negative Yahtzee goes, the better the game tends to be, except in the case of DCUO. :)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #297 on: September 30, 2012, 07:36:56 PM »
I don't usually need balance.  The more negative Yahtzee goes, the better the game tends to be, except in the case of DCUO. :)
Yeah, I remember his review of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.  People actually took it upon themselves to complain about it being too negative.  I for one thought it was great, and I love SSBB >.>

Well, he made an exception for Portal.  But still.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #298 on: October 01, 2012, 01:15:01 AM »
Yeah, I remember his review of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.  People actually took it upon themselves to complain about it being too negative.  I for one thought it was great, and I love SSBB >.>

Well, he made an exception for Portal.  But still.

...everyone makes an exception for Portal, damn it.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #299 on: October 01, 2012, 09:43:29 AM »
Well... it's about the game, but... *facepalm*

http://penny-arcade.com/comic

I think we should let the Villains deal with this one.