Author Topic: Star Power  (Read 68686 times)

Moonfyire101

• Elite Boss
Re: Star Power
« Reply #160 on: September 10, 2012, 03:55:10 PM »
I think it's too late for Big Bang Theory as they probly have half the season taped already but your welcome to try, i thought of that too. My dad knows some famous guys cause he was a musician. I asked him to talk to them about it. Havn't heard anthing yet.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #161 on: September 10, 2012, 04:28:53 PM »
Nexion likely had very little to do with this decision, even as a large shareholder 11% does not exactly wield a great deal of power in shareholder meetings.
1)  In June, Nexon bumped their holding in NCsoft to 14.7%
2)  That makes them NCsoft's biggest shareholder

http://www.bizjournals.com/prnewswire/press_releases/2012/06/08/NY21443

Granted, that's not a 50%+ controlling share, but it does still make them an imposing figure during a meeting of shareholders.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

unladenswallow

• Lieutenant
  • "Are you suggesting Coconuts Migrate?"
« Reply #162 on: September 10, 2012, 07:54:55 PM »
This may be a shot in the dark but I worked on Trading Spaces several years ago. Ty Pennington was a pretty big comic book fan as I recall. In fact I gave him an old "Watchmen" T shirt of mine and one of the original smiley face buttons from the promo's they did for the series back in the 80's. He even does some artwork of his own. The last time a spoke to him was almost 10 years ago just before he started hosting Extreme Home Makeover so I have no idea how receptive he would be to supporting us.
"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." -Thomas Paine

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #163 on: September 10, 2012, 07:58:49 PM »
This may be a shot in the dark but I worked on Trading Spaces several years ago. Ty Pennington was a pretty big comic book fan as I recall. In fact I gave him an old "Watchmen" T shirt of mine and one of the original smiley face buttons from the promo's they did for the series back in the 80's. He even does some artwork of his own. The last time a spoke to him was almost 10 years ago just before he started hosting Extreme Home Makeover so I have no idea how receptive he would be to supporting us.
If he is not keen on making our community a new "home", then let him do his thing.
Yeeessss....

unladenswallow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #164 on: September 10, 2012, 08:11:58 PM »
Like I said I don't know. This post was started to list famous people who may be interested in helping us. I'm just adding to the list.
"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." -Thomas Paine

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #165 on: September 10, 2012, 08:15:23 PM »
Like I said I don't know. This post was started to list famous people who may be interested in helping us. I'm just adding to the list.
Like I said, don't insist, but you should try to get in touch with him, since you seem to have got a personnal story with him. That's a killer introduction.
Yeeessss....

darkskye

• Minion
« Reply #166 on: September 10, 2012, 08:55:57 PM »
Has anyone thought about Nathan Fillion?  I know he's active in the tweet world, and he I believe loves comics?

unladenswallow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #167 on: September 10, 2012, 09:04:54 PM »
I'm still in contact with some of the producers and other crew members so I'll run it by them first and see if it's something he may be interested in doing as some of them may have seen him recently. I'll post back here on what kind of response I get, If any.

I'll also contact Paige Davis she was the host for Trading Spaces. She wasn't a comic book fan but her husband is currently playing the Green Goblin in the Broadway play "Spiderman: Turn Off the Dark". She's on my friends list on facebook so I can contact her directly and give her some info and Tony V's e-mail address and see if she wouldn't mind passing it along to the cast and crew of the Broadway show.

I haven't spoken to either of them directly in years so I may get nothing but Ill give it a shot.

Sister Leortha

• Underling
« Reply #168 on: September 10, 2012, 09:08:56 PM »
I think it's too late for Big Bang Theory as they probly have half the season taped already but your welcome to try, i thought of that too. My dad knows some famous guys cause he was a musician. I asked him to talk to them about it. Havn't heard anthing yet.

Written maybe, but not taped.  From following Wil Wheaton's blog and his comments about his appearances, it appears that BBT is generally only filming 2-4 weeks ahead of broadcast.

Dr Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • Dr Shadow Champion server/ @Leila_L twitter
« Reply #169 on: September 10, 2012, 09:54:01 PM »
Damn it, the poor baby....reaching for Kleenex again...

OK the thing to do is to have him playing CoX in the background without him knowing you are recording.  Or at least, without being aware that he is part of the recording.  Say your speech.  Play it back to him and get his OK.  Then post it.

Also please post your story over on the Testimonials thread.
So we've discussed this and all parties are willing, although there will be some conditions attached.
Dr Shadow- Champion Server @Leila_L twitter

LtlBtyRam

• Minion
« Reply #170 on: September 10, 2012, 10:48:26 PM »
*Waves* You csn cross Mercedes Lackey off your list to be contacted, since I'm her.  Did some serious networking at DragonCon (after I stopped crying).  I won't blow sunshine up your derrieres, but the single person in my personal circle of friends that I know can get things done on this scale is aware, is also a player, is furious and is seeing what can be done.

Thank you for all of your support.  If there is anything us regular folks with our alter ego super heroes, please let us know!!
 ;D

epawtows

• Elite Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #171 on: September 10, 2012, 11:30:53 PM »
Thank you for all of your support.  If there is anything us regular folks with our alter ego super heroes, please let us know!!
 ;D

She's been a long-time fan of supers.  I believe some CoHers from a little corner of VA used to do PnP Champs games with her, a LONG time ago.

LtlBtyRam

• Minion
« Reply #172 on: September 11, 2012, 12:50:28 AM »
Failing a sick kid who doesn't want his toon to die....(cynical?  Oh, a tad)

Could we get flash mobs at game stores, game rooms at conventions and even in front of Paragon Studios of zombie superheroes and villains doing the Thriller then flashing the "Save City of Heroes" signs then falling down (briefly) dead?  Suggested this in another thread.  You could recruit friends and local dance classes for it, everyone wants to be in a YouTube video (and dance classes have lots of spandex on hand).  Bonus points for spandex-worthy girls and guys in the front of the mob.

To make this newsworthy we have GOT to get this out of the virtual world and into the real world, and soon.

Would holding a real life rally at the Austin TX, Seattle WA, and maybe Paragon Studios at the same time be newsworthy enough for real world news?

A few people and I have been discussing this very thing.  I live in Olympia WA and have  a friend who lives in Austin, but don't know anyone (yet) near the Paragon Studio.

Sincerely,
Angela Livermore
aka @Ventus vis Vires on Triumph

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #173 on: September 11, 2012, 12:56:19 AM »
Would holding a real life rally at the Austin TX, Seattle WA, and maybe Paragon Studios at the same time be newsworthy enough for real world news?

A few people and I have been discussing this very thing.  I live in Olympia WA and have  a friend who lives in Austin, but don't know anyone (yet) near the Paragon Studio.

Sincerely,
Angela Livermore

Pick what looks to be a slow news day.

Get their "social" reporter to come out with a single cam and cover it.

And when they do, quote some of the stories in the "Testimonial" thread to pull the heartstrings.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

darkskye

• Minion
« Reply #174 on: September 11, 2012, 01:41:55 AM »

Sincerely,
Angela Livermore

It's too bad I'm not closer to Austin.  I'd go.  I'm in Houston, and unfortunately that's too far for me to go.

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #175 on: September 11, 2012, 05:01:58 AM »
1)  In June, Nexon bumped their holding in NCsoft to 14.7%
2)  That makes them NCsoft's biggest shareholder

http://www.bizjournals.com/prnewswire/press_releases/2012/06/08/NY21443

Granted, that's not a 50%+ controlling share, but it does still make them an imposing figure during a meeting of shareholders.

Meh, I find it incredibly hard to believe that 90% of the rest of the shareholders were stupid enough to dump a profitable venture, especially a venture capable of funding other projects. This MMO had reached the point of general stability much like all the other older and continuing MMOS, Asheron's Call is over a decade old and still continuing to produce new content.

If I were an NCsoft shareholder because this is a purely bad business move based off the numbers previously posted.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #176 on: September 11, 2012, 05:20:42 AM »
Meh, I find it incredibly hard to believe that 90% of the rest of the shareholders were stupid enough to dump a profitable venture, especially a venture capable of funding other projects.
It would have only taken another 35.3% of shares voting with Nexon to gain a majority.  For all we know, the shareholders have been only very narrowly opposed to closing Paragon Studios for quite some time now and the additional shares Nexon purchased in June were enough to swing the vote at the last shareholders' meeting.

Keep in mind that NCsoft is not based in North America and their target markets are largely in Asia.

Yes, it does seem crazy to dump any asset that is bringing in capital, but if they really did make the decision based on realigning their priorities, it's entirely reasonable to assume that the billions of dollars available in the Asian market are far more attractive to them than the money they make in North America and Europe.  If City of Heroes were a viable game in the Asian markets, it's quite likely they would have held on to it.  But we all saw the disaster that happened when they tried to launch City of Hero in South Korea.  City of Heroes just isn't Starcraft.

Television works much the same way.  You may have a show on the air that's getting Emmys left and right for its outstanding writing and cultural commentary, but if the executives at the studio just don't understand it, they'll bury it.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #177 on: September 11, 2012, 07:41:59 AM »
It would have only taken another 35.3% of shares voting with Nexon to gain a majority.  For all we know, the shareholders have been only very narrowly opposed to closing Paragon Studios for quite some time now and the additional shares Nexon purchased in June were enough to swing the vote at the last shareholders' meeting.

Keep in mind that NCsoft is not based in North America and their target markets are largely in Asia.

Yes, it does seem crazy to dump any asset that is bringing in capital, but if they really did make the decision based on realigning their priorities, it's entirely reasonable to assume that the billions of dollars available in the Asian market are far more attractive to them than the money they make in North America and Europe.  If City of Heroes were a viable game in the Asian markets, it's quite likely they would have held on to it.  But we all saw the disaster that happened when they tried to launch City of Hero in South Korea.  City of Heroes just isn't Starcraft.

Television works much the same way.  You may have a show on the air that's getting Emmys left and right for its outstanding writing and cultural commentary, but if the executives at the studio just don't understand it, they'll bury it.

Firefly.

Star Trek ToS the FIRST time around.  I mean, come on, moving it to 8 PM on a Friday night?  (Yes I am old enough to have watched ToS the first time, you know.)

Well I have made my attempt to get to Jim Butcher.  Even I have to go through his agent, it seems.   :o
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #178 on: September 11, 2012, 07:45:21 AM »

Yeah, that's what we're here to rectify.  NCSoft probably understood the loss it would be taking by cutting Cities, and just decided it wasn't a big deal.  Contrary to what many people say, decisions like cutting an entire studio aren't made on a whim.  Any decision is made with profit in mind and careful consideration of pros and cons.  We're making it a big deal and helping them see that they miscalculated. 

TheFlea

• Minion
  • The Grandfather of Spine/SRs in PvP.
« Reply #179 on: September 12, 2012, 03:30:31 PM »
Has anyone actually considered Scott Kurtz of PvP? Considering he has written featured AE arcs, the whole CoH arc that PvP had and the fact that that arc was printed and came with the game for a good while should be a sign that there was some love of the game there for him.

Also - with regards to CoH in asian markets...it makes me wonder why they didn't consider Japan as a target rather than Korea and/or China. The superhero genre is a primarily western thing with the exception of Japan who love it to the point where they've incorporated so much of it into their own...