Author Topic: Do we want to work for the character database?  (Read 25627 times)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Do we want to work for the character database?
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 12:33:45 AM »
Now, witness the power of this fully-armed and operational Sentinel!
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 03:43:58 AM »
Now, witness the power of this fully-armed and operational Sentinel!

I'm thinking we should name it Kronos.exe.  ;)

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 03:53:38 AM »
thats a very nice readable format, will definitely do this for my toons if there is any way possible i could play them again, i might try to do a demorecord with my sg base to keep that around as well if it could at all be possibly reinstated in some way

Gatecrasher

• Underling
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 04:44:18 AM »
Guy, this sounds like an awesome piece of work.  Is there any way to prevent someone from simply moving huge chunks of cash and Purple IOs from one character to another, and doing the export such that each guy has a full wallet when this is done?

Later on,
Gate

Sleepykitty

• The Napping Cat
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 08:41:34 AM »
o.o this yanks not just slotted enhancements but everything they've got in their inventory right? the various salvages, temp powers, the works? and no issues with ppl having all sorts of different storage sizes at this point?

^^ pls pardon my paranoia!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I am Sleepy! Hear me Yawn!

o.o reachable at: My Paragonwiki Page

MisterMagpie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 08:53:52 AM »
That's purty, Guyperfect. And do you do anything besides logging in?
I mean well, I swear.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 08:58:06 AM »
If it looks anything like the current Sentinel, there's probably an "export character data" button or something similar that copies all of that to your clipboard and allows you to paste it into a file.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Koopak

• Underling
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 09:01:17 AM »
Guy, this sounds like an awesome piece of work.  Is there any way to prevent someone from simply moving huge chunks of cash and Purple IOs from one character to another, and doing the export such that each guy has a full wallet when this is done?

Later on,
Gate

This is actually a fairly legitimate concern, my only suggestion would likely be to find some way to take a flash of the info for all characters on a single server at once, then time stamped for added security.

Whether this would be possible or not I'm not sure as I'm not nearly as familiar with the code as i would like to be.

MisterMagpie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 09:45:11 AM »
If it looks anything like the current Sentinel, there's probably an "export character data" button or something similar that copies all of that to your clipboard and allows you to paste it into a file.

Ah! Thank you. I'm unfamiliar with Sentinel so far.
I mean well, I swear.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 05:05:27 PM »
Is there any way to prevent someone from simply moving huge chunks of cash and Purple IOs from one character to another, and doing the export such that each guy has a full wallet when this is done?
This is actually a fairly legitimate concern [...]

There's effectively no way to prevent it, and I wouldn't say it's much of a concern. Even in the event someone did decide to cheat, it'd be, what, a few dozen extra Enhancements on the new system when it's all said and done?

I wouldn't worry about it. Most people will be honest regardless.

o.o this yanks not just slotted enhancements but everything they've got in their inventory right? the various salvages, temp powers, the works? and no issues with ppl having all sorts of different storage sizes at this point?

Everything but temp powers, yeah.

The release candidate (in testing now) looks like this:

Gatecrasher

• Underling
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2012, 05:28:34 PM »
This is actually a fairly legitimate concern, my only suggestion would likely be to find some way to take a flash of the info for all characters on a single server at once, then time stamped for added security.

Whether this would be possible or not I'm not sure as I'm not nearly as familiar with the code as i would like to be.

I don't know if there's even a way to do it that doesn't veer this project into grotesque overcomplication. I only bring it up on the off-chance Guy can say, "Yeah, I can fix that with 5 minutes' effort." To me, if some jerk hacker is going to take this time of crisis to start dupin rares in earnest, let him. The alternative is that the game is gone to a lot more than the Americans.

Holy schnikees, UniqueDragon was some sort of crazy prophet!?

Later on,
Gate

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2012, 05:38:32 PM »
Holy schnikees, UniqueDragon was some sort of crazy prophet!?
I believe we need to start referring to him using his full name:  Mender UniqueDragon.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

blue storm

• Boss
  • #savecoh
    • Freedom Academy
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2012, 05:47:30 PM »
This Sentinel+ is seriously awesome ! Love you guys !

Mids dump + costume file + badges + bio all in one go !!

by the way, I noted that the current sentinel seems to have trouble with accented characters (I'm smelling UTF-8 issues in there..) and also if the bio contains this character ' then anything past that character is not imported (I'm smelling string termination here)

not that this needs a fixing, because for bios written in plain english, this works fine !
--

Terrafan

• Underling
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2012, 05:56:59 PM »
o.o the off-line costume creater was made back with City of Hero. it was pre-i2. it had at best the i0 costumes and maybe the ones made for us by the Lineage 2 ppl (clipping issues like mad...). It was never released stateside, much less kept up to date... there where ways to sneak newer costume bits in, but.. that all ended around when CoV came out, they altered the costume engine a tad bit with that, and have several times since. Even if you had a copy of it, the CC in-game now is so different there's no hope. we have at least a third more options in the costumes alone, ignoring the power customizing

Slightly off topic question.  Has thought been given to a possibly divising a way that after launch the client could be loaded and 'spoofed' in to thinking it was connected to a server and allow us to just play in the costume creator.  As I understand it, everything in the CC resides in our local machine, so the game would just need a way to be spoofed into thinking it was logged in.  Crazy idea, and I'm very unknowing about the specifics of it.   Just wondering is all.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
Slightly off topic question.  Has thought been given to a possibly divising a way that after launch the client could be loaded and 'spoofed' in to thinking it was connected to a server and allow us to just play in the costume creator.  As I understand it, everything in the CC resides in our local machine, so the game would just need a way to be spoofed into thinking it was logged in.  Crazy idea, and I'm very unknowing about the specifics of it.   Just wondering is all.

I'm already planning to do exactly that. :)

The first phase of the reverse-engineering project will give us pretty much the ability to do that. It'll just be a matter of wrapping it up in a launcher. So keep those client files around!

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2012, 06:11:16 PM »
For bases, the best way to go is to demorecord them. Little known secret: The entire base is saved in a demorecord file, including the contents of storage bins...
Wait, WHAT? HOW?!?!
I've sorta asked for this only thought it was usable only for video archiving purposes. Perhapse we can get a team to work on creating such files or a 'How-To' thread posted if it doesn't already exist. As much as we do need to focus on moving forward, a full game backup (or as close as we can get) would be a top priority as well even if the end result of this turns into simply using that data as a template for a new IP.
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2012, 06:16:46 PM »
o.o err... a Sentinal+ would be great.. but in the meantime, and just to be safe, the titan network can be used to record a lot... CIT stores a characters lvls, bio, cash, badges, primary/second/origin.. mids can grab a person's build.. and with in-game, icon can save all your costumes (I suggest doing this format "charname_cc#" to keep things straight..). Sure, it doesn't get your souvenirs, sg contributions, contact list or progression and whatnot, but its something that can be done right now and might give some peace of mind.

The problem with costumes right now is that many of us who recently went Preem or simply didn't resub have tons of locked toons that we can't access. Granted, I have most of my toon's stuff backed up from before, but we won't get the chance to do one last CIT upload because of that unless by some miracle they actually unlock all toons.
Find me on Homecoming:

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »
I'm smelling UTF-8 issues in there.
Hey, Guy, that sounds familiar.   ;D
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2012, 06:19:20 PM »

The problem with costumes right now is that many of us who recently went Preem or simply didn't resub have tons of locked toons that we can't access. Granted, I have most of my toon's stuff backed up from before, but we won't get the chance to do one last CIT upload because of that unless by some miracle they actually unlock all toons.

Yeah, the premium problem is unfortunate. We may be able to get some limited information from the character select screen, like the one costume that is displayed, but that still means losing a lot...

Hopefully they'll unlock those characters, or make the store free which would let you "buy" character slots and get all of them except the ones on Exalted or over the 36 limit.

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2012, 06:23:22 PM »
This Sentinel+ is seriously awesome ! Love you guys !

Mids dump + costume file + badges + bio all in one go !!

by the way, I noted that the current sentinel seems to have trouble with accented characters (I'm smelling UTF-8 issues in there..) and also if the bio contains this character ' then anything past that character is not imported (I'm smelling string termination here)

not that this needs a fixing, because for bios written in plain english, this works fine !

Considering the quite varied background of my toons, this has been a long time problem for me. The game records values correctly, but exporting to CIT always results in screwy characters. Luckily I keep a file for my toon bio's!
Find me on Homecoming: