Author Topic: Call to Action: Write to NCsoft  (Read 98693 times)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Call to Action: Write to NCsoft
« on: September 02, 2012, 05:39:11 PM »
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 07:04:51 PM by TonyV »

neonphysalis

• Underling
Re: Call to Action: Write to NCsoft
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 06:52:29 PM »
One step ahead of you. :P

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
    • Repeat Offenders Network - Making the stupidly difficult easy since 2005
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 09:16:50 PM »
Cross posted on the RO forums.

frostcoh

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 10:23:29 PM »
Dear Sir,
Thank you for supporting financially, administratively and logistically a game I have come to love for years. I have made friends, and become closer to friends I already had through this game.  City of Heroes was more than a hobby to me, it was a community, and a place to go to unwind after a hard day.  Needless to say I was shocked and dismayed when I learned that the development staff had been fired and the game would completely shut down within three months.  I was shocked for two reasons.  First, I, like many others were under the impression the game was doing well.  The game had just released a large amount of exciting new content and was getting ready to release more.  Secondly, games like this typically stop making new content before they go dark, it's highly irregular for a game of this caliber to shut down right in the middle of new content production. 
Pondering this causes me great concerns about your company.  Either your company just made a rash decision and was willing to not only anger a community of well over 100 thousand, and destroy the lives of 80 employees due to intra-company fights and politicking, or your company has committed a cardinal sin in business by shutting down a profitable venture to save flailing projects.  Both of these possibilities are completely unacceptable in a business environment.
When City of Heroes became a hybrid subscription game I remained a paying subscriber, while also spending more money on micro-transactions; so, why would I as a consumer, choose to play any of your other products when I know that such a brash decision with such short notice is acceptable in your corporation.  Why would I as a potential stockholder purchase stock from your company on the Korean Stock Exchange based on your current actions.
This mistake can be rectified.  Reconsider, and rehire the team running Paragon Studios, or make the shrewd business decision to sell them off to another company, or spin them off into another division. 
Either of these options would do a great deal to heal the damage that has already been done to NcSoft's name.
I leave you with this thought, no great river refuses any small stream.

Thank you for your time,

Dave Babler

frostcoh

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 10:27:45 PM »
My only question is should I call it "the Korean Stock Exchange" or by it's native name?

CursedSorcerer

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 10:30:50 PM »
Question: Could email also work? Probably no, but worth asking, right?

Optimism Penguin

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 11:26:26 PM »
Frost,

Calling it the Korean Stock Exchange should work since that's what it gets referred to as in the US, and in the English version of Korean newspapers.  You could also call it the KRX and he should know what you are talking about, but I find absolute clarity is often the best solution when dealing with people. 

Otherwise a decent letter.  Best of luck  :)

frostcoh

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 11:29:56 PM »
Only "decent" :(  damn it.

I was hoping for stellar.

You can call me Dave, since I posted my real name anyway

Pheadora

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 12:35:43 AM »
Good letter.  Now I got to think of one. 

DarthDelicious

• Underling
  • Mysterious Mike: "You point, I punch!"
    • DeeDee Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 05:49:21 AM »
I'm on it and will have it ready asap. Am in the middle of a big move so not all I need is always in one place just yet, unfortunately. But I'll make it work, no worries.

@CursedSorcerer: e-mail won't do alas. E-mails will go to a random callcenter agent and be dealt with there. None of the CEO's will even know the excistence of your e-mail.
Check out my DeviantART page.
--Don't say everything you know, but do know everything you say.--

jordanhb

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 11:52:56 AM »

chelsealol

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 04:41:53 PM »
Please dont shut city of heroes

Gilliam

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 05:31:24 PM »
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 06:07:15 PM »

great letter i will steal most of that and send myself
Thank you

Please don't, I don't want NCsoft to think we're barraging them with form letters.  Sometime this week or next, we might set up some sort of "Send X just as a show of unity," but for this stage of the operation, I really want you to come up with your own words to express what the game means to you.

exitium13

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 06:55:42 PM »

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 08:03:35 PM »
Being posted from the UK tomorrow, to both Seattle and Korea:

--

Sir,

I am writing to add my voice to the thousands of others begging you not to destroy the City of.. games.

I really have no idea how to write this letter. I don't know whether to appeal to your humanity, or your business sense.

City of.. is a game like no other. Its players know it's not the flashiest, or the best looking game around. We know it's a bit dated. We know we can't rival the population of some of the other MMORPGs out there - but we're still here. We've been paying subscriptions for eight and a half years, we've been supporting the game and the company behind it, because we feel honoured to be a part of it. Because we've spent nearly a decade creating characters that we have come to love, poured time and money into making them as good as they can be, making bases for them to live in, creating and telling their stories, and making friendships that are so close that we have almost become family - despite the fact that a world separates us.

We are a community, and we love our game. We don't want to lose what we have worked for, we don't want to lose a world we love and we don't want to see our community scattered.

I understand you won't have taken this decision lightly. I understand that a company doesn't make 80 people redundant on a whim. But please, I urge you to work with the community, with the players. To give us a chance to keep the characters we have poured our time and money into, the bases we have spent weeks of our lives building, the friendships that have survived for years and the groups that have bought us all together.

Please stick us on a spare server somewhere, and allow the community to try and save itself. Put us up for sale, make us opensource, give us a chance to buy the IP rights and the engine from you. Closing us down is just vandalism.

Please give us the chance to take this game that you no longer want off your hands. Our petition to save the city has already seen over 10,000 people sign up, people who are volunteering their time and effort to try and keep the game running.

I'm not going to threaten never to buy another NC Soft game, but the fact is that currently, you don't have anything on offer I'm interested in playing. This is the same for many players - if anything they'll move to DC Universe, or Champions online, giving money to your competitors. It's got to be better walking away from this with a big wedge of money and a happy fanbase than just wiping out a whole online universe.

I know you've already received a number of letters like this. I'm sorry to send another one, but I can't help it. The heroes of Paragon City want to save their world, and the villains on the Rogue Isles want to take it over.

Please give us the opportunity to do it. We can't help it. We're heroes, and villains. It's in our nature.

Sincerely,

(me.)
@Vandellia, Virtue.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 08:53:55 PM by rae »
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

JustJane

• Underling
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 09:36:45 PM »

chelsealol

• Underling
keep COH forever!!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 01:32:16 AM »
 :gonk: please dont shut the COH down!!!!

laufeyjarson

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 06:03:43 AM »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:34:03 AM by laufeyjarson »

Christine

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 06:06:27 AM »