Author Topic: Call To Action: Get the word out  (Read 123961 times)

nataliaofvirtues

• Minion
Re: Call To Action: Get the word out
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2012, 07:39:17 AM »
I am behind you all the way. COH is so much more than just a game. It is a social event. An escape from the harsh realities of the day, A place to laugh, blow off steam, run around and kick up your heals and at times a salvation after a really bad day. I will do whatever I can to get the word out for all of us.

badattitude

• Underling
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2012, 07:49:09 AM »
As soon as I found this, I started pasting the link in on Freedom in the Help channel where most of the discussion is happening tonight, I will do what I can to help in any way. This game has been here for me when times were dark, and this became a big escape from reality after my mom passed away, I used to wish that I could live in CoH... kickin ass and takin names later.  I dont know what I will do if the day comes and there is no CoH to escape to.  Let's do this Heroes of Paragon, don't let them take away our City...

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2012, 07:56:17 AM »
As a joke I offered to put up a CoH MUD, but right now it is almost looking tempting.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2012, 08:10:42 AM »
On it Tony!  I have told everyone I know in real life and I knew in CoH to spread the word and check in to see what they can do.  I will spread the word to the far corners of the world if necessary but I still want to do more so I will be checking in several times a day to fight for the best damn MMO!

cfeakes

• Underling
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2012, 08:50:46 AM »
Already on it, was thinking about trying to coordinate a picket in Seattle at the head quarters of NC Soft any thoughts?
NEVER GIVE UP!

DarthDelicious

• Underling
  • Mysterious Mike: "You point, I punch!"
    • DeeDee Productions
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2012, 08:53:50 AM »
I'm also doing what I can.
Paragon must be saved! It's our home!

Thanks for starting this mission Tony V! *hugs*

*waves*
DeeDee
Check out my DeviantART page.
--Don't say everything you know, but do know everything you say.--

neonphysalis

• Underling
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2012, 08:54:19 AM »
Here to help!

came across this petition! It's to make the source code open source.

http://www.change.org/petitions/ncsoft-corp-open-source-the-code-for-city-of-heroes-villains

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2012, 08:56:33 AM »
Already on it, was thinking about trying to coordinate a picket in Seattle at the head quarters of NC Soft any thoughts?
While the decision may have come through Seattle, I suspect that this came from the home office over in Korea.  Picketing the Seattle office might not have the impact that would be necessary to get the exec board's attention.  But you never know unless you try, I suppose.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Gilliam

• Minion
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2012, 09:10:17 AM »
The word got me here! and im spreading it,
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

Nekotron5000

• Underling
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2012, 09:12:07 AM »
I'll do what I can. 

Tahliah

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2012, 09:38:24 AM »
On it.

Crater Labs

• Trivia Champion 2016
  • Minion
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2012, 09:41:16 AM »
I just sent an email to Tycho of Penny Arcade.  Not sure if he'll be very interested, though I do know he played the game once.  (If memory serves, he eventually stopped playing because his XP debt got too heavy, though I think he did say that he noted the care and attention to detail that players put into things like their Bios, even if they weren't RPers.)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2012, 09:50:28 AM »
I just sent an email to Tycho of Penny Arcade.
Actually, that's not bad timing.  Tomorrow is the last day of PAX 2012.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Dihan

• Underling
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2012, 10:09:32 AM »
I have posted this forum on the Defiant Events facebook group.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2012, 10:26:44 AM »
Trying to wake up and motivate the French community that was on Vigilance. We can't go down without a fight, this was the worst MMO to do that, NCSoft !

I would urge somebody that was still inside the devs to make a usb backup of the game, just in case. I know this is illegal but... I just so happen to hope for it right now, if everything else fails !
Yeeessss....

Chamomile

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2012, 10:32:22 AM »
Have you guys noticed that the shutdown of CoX is unexpected enough to count as actual news for the gaming community?  As in, I was away for a few months on a break, but then I saw an actual news article on Escapist Magazine informing me.  Don't just spread word to CoX communities (although, for obvious reasons, we will get the most traction there), go for any large, general gaming community you're already a member of.

Emphasis on "already a member of," though, do not sign up for a community and make your first post shilling for your cause.  If anyone here has an account on the Penny Arcade forums, that'd be helpful, I already threw up a post on Escapist.  Unfortunately, though I've been around years, I mostly lurk, so I'm certainly not getting any traction as an entrenched member of the community.

EDIT: Oh, hey, on the subject of effective action, we've only got three months to make this work so let's try to skip the "blind flailing in the direction of everyone who seems like they might have any sort of culpability at all" stage.  We need to figure out exactly who has the power to make CoX's ongoing existence an actual thing that happens.  There's a rumor circulating that NCSoft has been asked a prohibitively large amount of money to renew the license to the CoX engine in order to cull the competition for a game being pushed out by the current owners of the engine.  Unfortunately, even who those current owners are seems to change from one iteration of the story to the next.  If this is true, it presents a significant problem for our plan.  While NCSoft can potentially be convinced to relinquish the IP for CoX to fans if we could raise enough money for it, getting the Mystery Corporation to give up the engine to CoX, the most popular game ever made in this little niche, is going to require more money than could ever be conceivably raised by anyone, including, apparently, NCSoft themselves.

Know thy enemy and know thyself, find victory in a hundred battles.  The very first thing we need to do is find out who is actually responsible for shutting CoX down.  NCSoft might not actually be in a position to start it back up, and in fact it's likely they're not, since the move makes no sense from a business perspective and clearly came as a surprise to the development team.  I have no idea how we're going to solve the problem of the engine license being withheld if that's the case, but at least we'll know what problem we're trying to solve, and hopefully with enough time left to do something about it.  So we need to know who would know and how we can get them to divulge the information.  Can anyone get the dev team to open up with anything approaching reliability?  It's unlikely they know what's going on, but they're far more likely to tell us than suits in Seattle or the distant Korean overlords.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:41:51 AM by Chamomile »

Torben87

• Underling
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2012, 10:46:23 AM »
It seems I did return to Paragon City in its time of need...

I have been on a kind-of-hiatus from CoH for months now, which was due to exams, private reasons and other things. I only popped in once in a while to get to talk to the friends I made there or creating costumes for my characters.

And now, as I just wanted to get back into the game more frequently again, I heard it's going to go offline before the end of the year. I was really shocked about it and I'm still quite upset. I probably wasn't playing it as long as most of you (I started in April 2010), but it still means alot for me and was an important part of my life.

However, from what I've heard, I think the chances to get NCsoft selling the game or making the CoH's code open source are quite low. But don't get me wrong, I don't want to say that it's wasted time trying to save CoH.

Who doesn't fight, has already lost. So count me in.

netphenix

• Underling
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2012, 10:50:39 AM »

SiphonWraith

• Underling
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2012, 11:06:19 AM »
To TonyV and the Titan crew,

I think it's outstanding, people willing to do what they can to keep something they care so much about. I've been a player since I-2, and I love this game...no... it's more than that, it's a community. I've made so many RL friends from being apart of it. My wife loves it too, and she wasn't even a gamer until I introduced it to her.

I can't do as much as I'd like (being in the military and currently deployed, the net sucks out here and depending on mission I can't always get on), but...I'm in and I'll do what I can. I've already have been signing every petition I can, and will continue to do so. Also I have been contacting everyone in the States I know that's apart of the community to help were they can.

Keep Fighting...this is one of those things that worth it.
"Suppose you were an idiot, now suppose you were a member of Congress...but I repeat myself."
 - Mark Twain

Zachary

• Underling
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2012, 11:17:29 AM »
What's the best thing I can do? I'm just normal active player. Not rich or anything...