Author Topic: Save Paragon City! efforts coordination  (Read 21363 times)

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
Re: Save Paragon City! efforts coordination
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 02:14:31 PM »
Should we contact Reloaded Games/GamersFirst ? They saved APB Reloaded before, they may try to save City the same way. If we could have a City of Heroes Reloaded, I'd be in.

Though after I scratched the surface a bit, it seems they are a very unsupportive company. Can somebody shed some light on this ?
Yeeessss....

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 05:59:16 PM »
Read this carefully, because it's very important and I don't want anyone to misunderstand and take it personally.

This is no time to be picky.

The odds are stacked firmly against us being able to pull off a buyout, though we'll do everything in our power to try.

Putting together an "underground" game server before Nov 30th is almost as unlikely, and even harder is telling players and convincing them it's safe, AND assuming they will be able to modify their CoH installs so it works.

Designing a replacement for CoH using the same social principles in that timeframe?  Impossible.

So a game company buyout, ANY game company buyout, is worth it RIGHT NOW.

The problem is not that we're unable to do any of the above, it's that we were ambushed with a very tight deadline.  We could still try all those things, and assume a game company buyout is a temporary reprieve.  But for now, time is a luxury we don't have.  We succeed or fail before Nov 30th.

After that, any efforts we make are amount to starting over, and we may as well treat it as such.

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 06:09:03 PM »
Read this carefully, because it's very important and I don't want anyone to misunderstand and take it personally.

The odds are stacked firmly against us being able to pull off a buyout, though we'll do everything in our power to try.

Putting together an "underground" game server before Nov 30th is almost as unlikely, and even harder is telling players and convincing them it's safe, AND assuming they will be able to modify their CoH installs so it works.

Designing a replacement for CoH using the same social principles in that timeframe?  Impossible.

So a game company buyout, ANY game company buyout, is worth it RIGHT NOW.

The problem is not that we're unable to do any of the above, it's that we were ambushed with a very tight deadline.  We could still try all those things, and assume a game company buyout is a temporary reprieve.  But for now, time is a luxury we don't have.  We succeed or fail before Nov 30th.

After that, any efforts we make are amount to starting over, and we may as well treat it as such.

Oh I agree completely, I never expected that the "underground" server method was one that would happen by Nov. 30. My hope was and is that such movements will continue even after Nov. 30 so that at some unidentifiable future date we can send messages out to future players through Titan Network, facebook, and any other remaining groups of players that the server is up. People will play on anything Titan Network says is safe. Modifying the launcher shouldn't be too difficult, if it's even necessary. There's a custom launcher for linux already. That launcher was written in perl, and could easily be modified to connect to the "underground" servers. Distributing it would be the larger issue.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 06:16:19 PM »
Yeah, any underground server(s) will probably have to be, well, underground, which is unfortunate because it alienates a large number of players. But without a legit license on the IP and rights to distribute the client, that's about the best that can be done.

So, failing NC reversing their decision, a community buyout is the most preferable as it would allow such servers to not be underground. Another publisher buyout is also a possibility, the merits of which depend on what that publisher decides to do with it...

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 11:37:22 PM »
Honestly, if it gets to the underground server point, I'd rather start from scratch on our own spiritual successor that didn't step on anyone's IP so that we could actually tell people about the thing.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

Valjean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »

It may be more realistic to convince a company such as Riot Games or Valve to do the buyout instead.