Author Topic: I am working on a page and need help!  (Read 5110 times)

aafs

• Underling
I am working on a page and need help!
« on: August 18, 2012, 03:04:06 PM »
I am not finished with all the story but I am trying to make it look nice here. Is there a template I could go off of? Is there any codes?
Sorry I have lots of questions. I very much enjoy Nephila's page http://ouroportal.com/wiki/Nephila_%28Guardian%29
How do I make a contents?
Also how do I make the sidebar on the left of Nephila's page?

Thank you for everything!

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: I am working on a page and need help!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 06:20:09 PM »
Your Table of Contents should automatically appear at the top of your page once you have a minimum number of sections (I think it's three, if I remember correctly.)  However, you can also force the table to appear or move the location in which it will appear by embedding the __TOC__ code wherever you want to place the table.

I'm not quite sure if that's what you were trying to get when you mention "the sidebar" or not.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
Re: I am working on a page and need help!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 03:58:15 AM »
In order for the TOC to appear, you have to have sections on your page, and currently, your Ouro page doesn't have any.

Sections are marked out by using equal signs on either side of the title.  For instance, if you want a section called "The story so far..." it would look like this in wiki markup (the code used on a wiki):

== The story so far... ==

That is a Level 2 heading (or section) and if you wanted to create a sub-section of that, you would use 3 qual signs:

=== And then this happened ===

And a sub-section of that would have 4, etc.  Having multiple heading levels, and subsections will create a TOC with different levels and links to the various sections.

(NOTE: Do not use just 1 equal sign, that is a level 1 heading and should only be used as the article title.  It should never be used in the body of an article.)

As eabrace said, in order for the TOC to automagically appear, you will need to have at least 3 sections like that on your page.  Otherwise, you can force it to appear by putting __TOC__ at the top of the page... or, if you want to put it on one side or another you can use {{TOCright}} or {{TOCleft}} which are templates created so that the TOC can be moved around.

Take a look at some of the templates that are created on the Ouro for character pages: http://ouroportal.com/wiki/Category:Character_templates

Also, with regard to Nephila's side-bar (on the right)?  It is a pretty custom job that he made based on one of the templates I just linked to above.  If you want to see how anything on a wiki is done, you can click [Edit] at the top and take a look to see what code is in use.

Hopefully that helped you!  Also, feel free to look at some of the pages I have created for my characters as well, and my UserPage if you like: http://ouroportal.com/wiki/User:Thirty7
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 04:12:54 AM by Thirty7 »