Author Topic: I think I found 2 errors dealing with Defenders  (Read 5517 times)

Cannonfodder

• Lieutenant
I think I found 2 errors dealing with Defenders
« on: August 02, 2012, 02:32:21 PM »
Defender-> APP Energy Mastery -> Shocking Bolt power -> Described as "Ranged, Minor DoT (Energy), Foe Hold, -END" and under under set enhancements it says it takes Melee PBAoE set enhancements as wells as Ranged set enhancements.

Defender's Bastion (normal and superior):  The set bonus that increases range is applying it's bonus to melee powers as well as ranged powers.  Usually, melee powers are not subject to range increases (set bonuses, Boost Range, etc.) or decreases (Hurricane).
--Jason
@Cannonfodder
Victory:  Cannonfodder 50 Inv/SS
Virtue:  Pravda 50 Bots/FF
The Hall of Justice/The Hall of Doom /chanjoin "Victory Badges" /chanjoin "Virtue Badges"

Diellan

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
Re: I think I found 2 errors dealing with Defenders
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:22:42 PM »
Hm...

monkeyslap

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:15:30 PM »
Defender-> APP Energy Mastery -> Shocking Bolt power -> Described as "Ranged, Minor DoT (Energy), Foe Hold, -END" and under under set enhancements it says it takes Melee PBAoE set enhancements as wells as Ranged set enhancements.

Defender's Bastion (normal and superior):  The set bonus that increases range is applying it's bonus to melee powers as well as ranged powers.  Usually, melee powers are not subject to range increases (set bonuses, Boost Range, etc.) or decreases (Hurricane).

There is no Energy Mastery APP for Defenders. The closest would be called Power Mastery. But, the power in question, Shocking Bolt, is in the APP Electric Mastery. You are right about 1 thing though: it does show it can take ranged AND PBAoE Melee sets.

Which power set with with melee powers are you referring to? I looked at all the primary and secondary power sets in Mids' for Defender and none of them have melee attacks. My only guess is you're thinking about attacks labeled as "Close (Cone)". These attacks are actually very short ranged attacks and their range should be increased accordingly from set bonuses and all. Example: secondary power set Fire Blast>Fire Breath power "Close (Cone)", has a range of 40 unenhanced.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:05:49 PM »
There are melee attacks in both the power pools and (some of) the epic pools.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

monkeyslap

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 09:36:50 PM »
OK. I see what's happening and it isn't limited to just defenders, although the range increase set bonus from the defender ATO does work.

Power pool melee attacks:

Fighting pool>Boxing and Kick
Speed pool>Flurry
Flight pool>Air Superiority
Defender>Electric Mastery APP>Thunderstrike
Defender>Power Mastery APP>Total Focus

OK. I'm not going to list all melee attacks, but, as more examples, Brute>Battle Axe>Beheader, and Tanker>/Firey Melee>Scorch.

It seems that a lot of melee attacks, including the examples here, have a base range of (7). This would explain why the Defender ATO set bonus and other range increase powers will show a range increase of melee attacks. It doesn't give melee attacks range, only increases the range on attacks with a base range.

I'm not sure if melee attacks are suppose to have a base range of (7) but not all attacks are showing it.