Author Topic: Question about /Regen>Moment of Glory for Brute  (Read 7260 times)

monkeyslap

• Minion
Question about /Regen>Moment of Glory for Brute
« on: July 13, 2012, 06:39:30 AM »
Forgive me if this isn't the right section to post this. I am posting it here because I'm not sure if it is a bug or not with Mid's.

What I'm seeing for a Brute /Regen, Moment of Glory shows in its description and all "+DEF (All DMG but Psionics)". But the thing is, it is showing that it doesn't increase defense to Melee, Ranged, or AOE.

My question: Is this the way Moment of Glory works in game and the in-game description isn't completely accurate? If that is the case I won't even file a bug report on it since it will probably take forever to correct a text error on a power. Currently my /Regen brute is only level 23 so he isn't up high enough to take the power so I can't look at the numbers in the game yet. Even the Paragon Wiki says "All damage types except Psionics".

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/9976/effectsa.jpg
http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/4310/totalsq.jpg

Tog

• Lieutenant
    • Tog's Hero U
Re: Question about /Regen>Moment of Glory for Brute
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 09:26:10 AM »
Defense is a wily beast. it comes in two versions, and I don't recall the actual names. Basically, they are damage type, and the range of the attack. (positional)

So Brawl is Melee Smashing damage. You can defend against it with either Melee Defense or Smashing Defense. The game will use whichever is higher. If you have 10% def to both Melee and Smashing, you have 10% total def against that attack, not 20%.

When this all came out is was kind of ugly because FF Defenders buffed Typed defenses (Smashing, lethal, fire, and so on) but not the ranged ones. For a Super Reflexes Scrapper, that had only the range defenses, it meant the buffs didn't stack at all.

Now, the FF def buffs affect all of the damage types (except Psi) AND the range defenses.

With MOG, you get very high defense against all damage types (except Psi), but nothing for the positional (that's the name) part of the attack. As far as I know, this is by design. If it buffed the positional defenses as well, any psi attack that had a Positional tag assigned would be affected by the power, and that's against the design of it.

If your Brute is a Broad Sword or Titan Weapon, or anything with a def buff that buffs Melee Defense, it will also buff Smashing or Lethal, or whatever, but it will do one of each. The damage Type will stack with MOG, but the Positional will not.

monkeyslap

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 10:54:40 AM »
Thanks for the response. That answers my question. I'm still unfamiliar with how defense works exactly, that's why I asked.  :)

keenjin

• Minion
  • :D
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 01:10:19 PM »
the equation for the actual chance to hit the target is....

(tohit - defense) * (1 + acc/100) = actual chance to hit the target.

since mobs usually have the second part(1 + acc/100) as 1, you only need 45% defense to softcap your defense to most attacks. (most mobs get 50% tohit against players)

this is how chance to hit the target works, but defense mechanism is there for u to understand.

elasticity is a different mechanism that reduces the final chance to GET hit.
Jin, the God of Gods.

A unique existence possessing six accounts with full 48 character slots on freedom.

Five out of six are activated currently, using three at a time.

keenjin

• Minion
  • :D
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 01:12:08 PM »
Currently my /Regen brute is only level 23 so he isn't up high enough to take the power so I can't look at the numbers in the game yet.

Try typing [Moment of Glory].
Jin, the God of Gods.

A unique existence possessing six accounts with full 48 character slots on freedom.

Five out of six are activated currently, using three at a time.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 02:06:18 PM »
elasticity is a different mechanism
I can't figure out what word you meant to put here, but there's no such mechanic called "elasticity" in City.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 02:35:50 PM »
I can't figure out what word you meant to put here, but there's no such mechanic called "elasticity" in City.

Probably elusivity, which is only really used in PvP and is effectively "anti-accuracy" instead of "anti-tohit".

monkeyslap

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 02:46:18 AM »
Try typing [Moment of Glory].

Never thought of that. My avatar explains why.  ;)