Author Topic: Standard name for the "Character Bar" top of Character Selection Window please?  (Read 9228 times)

taosin

• Boss
hey folks,

What name can be use for the character "bar" at the top of the Character Selection window that we see after logon? For the life of me I can't think of a decent name for it.

It's this thing:

* It's not a nav bar
* It lets us do things we need to do
* It shows information, and tasks

Thoughts? Brain-dead here and out of inspiration!

* Management bar? Management Ribbon? Character toolbar? MacGuffin? ...

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
I did some searching through the knowledge base but wasn't able to find much.

https://support.cityofheroes.com/app/answers/freedomdetail/a_id/8115
"Once a server has been selected, the top left corner of the interface will show information about available slots."

https://support.cityofheroes.com/app/answers/freedomdetail/a_id/8206
"On the Character Selection Screen, click the Shopping Cart icon. This is located in the top right corner of the screen. Your available Paragon Points will be listed on the top right corner of the page."

The screen itself is officially called the "Character Selection Screen", but that's not what you were asking.

Perhaps you should try to avoid calling the "bar" anything? You could just refer to the individual components by their location on the Character Selection Screen. There probably isn't an official name for it, and we probably shouldn't coin a name for it.

Oddly enough, I hadn't even really thought about that section of the screen as being a cohesive unit before. Though I suppose it kinda is.

LKN-351

• Lieutenant
Server Interface or maybe Selection Interface

taosin

• Boss
Thanks Sek and LKN, nice input. And yeah LKN, same result <grin> as me.

I'll coin a term of some sort only for use on the page Character Slot Management.

Banner area! Toolkit... hmmmm That may work. IMO best not go with a technical sounding name, as that's appropriating NCsoft's prerogative... will Ask A Question and see what they come up with!

Am looking at simply listing each icon and briefly describing what it does, for example.

LKN-351

• Lieutenant
LOL could just call it ARMAGERD DHAT BAWR

haha sorry, Zwill was yellin it in beta last night and it kinda stuck.....

taosin

• Boss
LOL could just call it ARMAGERD DHAT BAWR

haha sorry, Zwill was yellin it in beta last night and it kinda stuck.....

chatlog or it didn't happen!

ps and i will append it to the Question i asked them....

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
I'll coin a term of some sort only for use on the page Character Slot Management.

Coining a term just for one page seems like a really good reason not to coin a term at all.

Looking at that article, I fail to see why such a term is necessary.

Using an example from the article: "Highlight the character, click the server transfer icon, and follow the prompts." You could simply say "Highlight the character, click the server transfer icon at the top of the Character Selection Screen, and follow the prompts."

Another example is the line "Click the red Delete Character icon at the top of the window." which could become "Click the red Delete Character icon at the top of the Character Selection Screen."

I think coming up with a term for that part of the screen is as likely to confuse as it is to clarify. The points to be made can be made clearly without using a new term.

taosin

• Boss
Points taken sek, I'm still getting the context from the page from all the other player giudes, and "OffAnswer" delving; why no edits. Is getting clearer!

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
* It's not a nav bar
* It lets us do things we need to do
* It shows information, and tasks

Thoughts? Brain-dead here and out of inspiration!

* Management bar? Management Ribbon? Character toolbar? MacGuffin? ...

taskbar

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Personally? "The menu on the character select screen"

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
I vote for "Chocolate" or "Granola" Bar.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
WARRGARBL
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Wallace Fitzgerald. The standard "name" is Wallace Fitzgerald.